Author Topic: James Straw 1850 -1912/13  (Read 4031 times)

Offline miss piggy

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Straw 1850 -1912/13
« on: Sunday 19 February 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
 Hi all
    i have been working on my great grand father James straw. lived on Oldham street  off Carlton road Nottingham.from 1871 till his death in 1912 or 13.  My grand mother Sarah  Millership 1894 nee straw. Told us he was killed after taking some pigs to be sold at the cattle market. Can any one advice me were im able to find out the details of this  wicked deed. Would it have been in the news papers?. If so how do i get a copy. I do not live in Nottingham now so its hard to get to the archives. Would love to solve this thanks  Christine

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Straw 1850 -1912/13
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 February 12 22:00 GMT (UK) »
His death certificate would give the cause of death, though not necessarily the details of how it came about.

Have you checked on FreeBMd for his death? There is a James Straw, aged 61, death in Nottingham in  Mar 1912, 7b/385

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Told us he was killed after taking some pigs to be sold at the cattle market. Can any one advice me were im able to find out the details of this  wicked deed.

Your comment suggests he was murdered rather than died from an accident - is that correct
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes she told us he'd sold some pigs and was rob and murdered on his way home. if i remember right gran said she was about 14 years old. Christine

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
If that is the case, there will almost certainly be a newspaper report somewhere. And, if the perpetrators were caught, the trial would also be reported.

It would be worth your while contacting the local newspaper archives to see if they can find anything for you.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 February 12 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers are on mirco film at Nottingham Library you will need his actual date of death to find anything in the newspapers so it would be best to get his death certificate, it may also have a date for the inquest on it too.
If you have his death date I can go to the library and look for it in the papers.

Nottsgirl
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 12 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Just another idea, do you how where he is buried as burial records will also have a death date if in a cemetery.  I can check those too but not Wilford Hill.

Nottsgirl
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 February 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi nottsgirl.
   He died  Jan/ Feb /Mar 1912 7b page 385. on ancestry.Think he's at Wilford hill .But can not be sure. I think one of my cousin's as the  death cert .as i know Gran had it. i just wish i could get to Notts archives but alas hubbys illness make it imposable. grateful for your help. any thing will do. thanks Christine

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
If its Wilford Hill then you will need to get in touch with them to do a search but they do charge.  Don't think you will find anything at the Archives but as I say I can do the newspapers at the library for you but it will take a while.

Nottsgirl1