Author Topic: ernest harding, trying to find his grave  (Read 5104 times)

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ernest harding, trying to find his grave
« on: Monday 20 February 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
can anyone help please? im trying to find this man

Year      Surname           Name               Age           District               Vol          Page No
1925     Harding             Ernest James   74             Douglas             A             2083

he is my great grand dad, but unfortunatley the family have no idea where he was buried, im hoping that i can find out before our visit to the island in may this year, can anyone help?

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ernest harding, trying to find his grave
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just seen the probate calendar for him, died 5 Sept 1925, last address given for him was 5 Westminster Terrace, Douglas. His name is given as Ernest Jabez Harding otherwise Ernest James Harding.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:33 GMT (UK) »
yes thats the man, but unfortunately we still have no idea to his whereabouts

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
there is an index to burials at www.iomfhs.im - however he doesnt appear to be on it
the usual burial places for Douglas at this period were Douglas Borough Cem, Braddan new yard + Onchan - if there was an old family plot in Douglas St Georges this may have been opened but obviously could be buried elsewhere - there was no crematorium on Island at that period - the index prepared by the late Brian Lawson is not 100% complete in that a few smaller yards might have been missed - strictly it is an index to the entries in the IoMFHSoc transcriptions of burial regs - so possibly they or Brian missed some (+ also transcription errors) which is possibly the case here

However coffins were regularly conveyed between the Island and the UK - did he have family off Island

There is a lter Ernest James age 81 bur Dbc 1980-01-16 (?son/gson?)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
yes the 1980 ernest was his son, but the 1925 ernest, he was the first of the family to go to iom so there wouldnt be a family grave to open. ernest 1925 was born as ernest jabez hawkins in 1850 in bitton gloucestor and moved the iom in 1912-1925 with his wife elizabeth and their three boys

Offline kafft

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawnkaren, I am also a great grand daughter of Ernest Jabez Hawkins aka Harding.  I am Wilfrid's grand daughter.  Ernest's will provided for his body to be repatriated to the UK and buried in the West Derby area.  His grave is not on the Isle of Man.  I know it's 3 years since you posted your request, but please contact me as I have more info. 

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 15 06:46 BST (UK) »
hi there! yes I found his grave in west derby cem! I have some lovely photos took by someone on here and I finally got back to Liverpool and went to the grave myself, I have spoken to David a few times  I also located ernest Williams son david and enjoyed a drink with him in London, im hoping he is ok as he wasn't too well when I last heard from him 18 months ago