Author Topic: Pennsylvania Death Indexes, 1906-1961. Plus Births for 1906. Online and free  (Read 27277 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania Death Indexes, 1906-1961. Plus Births for 1906. Online and free
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 March 12 08:36 GMT (UK) »
There are ages in the later years I've just noticed.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania Death Indexes, 1906-1961. Plus Births for 1906. Online and free
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 March 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I think that is well after my ancester died.  I ordered one that might be him. Wish I didn't have to wait 16 weeks!!  Oh well.  Hope it is him!

Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Do you know how or if you can get Phila marriage certificates? And if so, do you know if they show parents?

Thanks so much
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 03:53 BST (UK) »
Birth and deaths in most States are with the State but marriages are normally the  County responsibility. So that means you have to know which county (and State) the couple are married in. The older marriage certificates are just the names of the two people only. Later they may vary. 

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 04:08 BST (UK) »
thanks.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Do you know how or if you can get Phila marriage certificates? And if so, do you know if they show parents?

Thanks so much

Hi Lisa: It's amazing that I started this thread but I seem to have been neglected when by the computer it comes to getting notified of replies.

Philadelphia marriage license records would usually be, as barryd said, with Philadelphia County (the city and county of Philadelphia are one and the same, incidentally), except if the couple used a license issued in Philadelphia to marry in a different county of Pennsylvania. Then it would be in the county where the marriage took place.

Marriages records in Pennsylvania used to be with the Register of Wills of the county where the marriage took place. But that office has now been merged with another office, and I think the new entity is called Records.

I searched Philadelphia's website and found that the Register of Wills is still the office to contact there for marriage records. Here is the Register's website: http://secureprod.phila.gov/wills/.

On the left-hand menu, there is a link to read about obtaining marriage records.

Halfway down the page is a link titled Search Marriage Records. You can search by bride or groom or both and year. Not sure how far back the online records go.

You may find other useful information by clicking on other links on the page.

Hopes this helps.

John  :o :o :o

h
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks John!  Will give it a whirl. At least this is a lot less confusing that searching for those death certs!

cheers, Lisa

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 January 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Back to the Death indexes--

Having sent for 1 death certificate and gotten it in a respectable amount of time, I ordered 3 more separate inquiries (not grouped in one envelope).  I ordered them in August 2012 and just received them, January 2013.  It took 21 weeks for them to process them.  Their website suggests a 9 - 12 week turn around--grossly underestimated.