Author Topic: William McElwee b. 1837 Glasgow immigrated to Aus in 1857  (Read 3410 times)

Offline tabx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McElwee b. 1837 Glasgow immigrated to Aus in 1857
« on: Tuesday 21 February 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information about my great-great-grandfather William McElwee who immigrated to Tasmania from Scotland.

Here is the information I have, mostly gleaned from newspaper articles on his retirement and death:

Born in Glasgow in March, 1837, the late Mr. McElwee received a sound education in his native city, and served his time to the plumbing trade.

Recruited in Glasgow Oct 1857 by Mr Fleming on behalf of Mr Falconer (Falconer arrived in Tas in 1857 for Hobart City Council via Melb on Red Jacket, his staff and equipment straight to Tas on John Bell, Fleming was then recruited by Launceston City Council)

William McElwee sailed from Liverpool to Melbourne on Shooting Star arriving Feb 1858 (aged 31). Sailed from Melb to Launceston on Black Swan (Captain Wood)

Started working in Feb 1858

Retired and sailed to England on 20 April 1907 returning in Nov 1907 (to Melb) with his son Allan Penman on Ortona.

The only other clues I have as to his background are from the names of his two youngest sons who were twins.  One was named Allen Penman McElwee, Penman being the mother's maiden name and Allen being the maternal grandmother's maiden name.  The other was named Roger Ayton Lorimer McElwee.  I can't help but think that if one twin son was named after his mother's side of the family then possibly the other was named after the father's side of the family.  Also Lorimer was the middle name of one of the other sons, so I think it must be significant in some way.

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

-------------------------------------------
He is NOT these William McElwees:

In the 1841 census there is a William McElwee and a William McIlwee of about the right age.  One is a son of Cormick (b. Ireland) and Ann McElwee but Cormick is a shoemaker, and William becomes one too and is on the censuses upto and including 1891 as such.  William McIlwee is also a shoemaker from a family of shoemakers (father Alan is also born in Ireland).  On the 1851 census a William McElhoes with father Alexander (shoemakers from Ireland again) appears, but this seems to be the same family as the McIlwees of 1841.

There is also another William McElwee who came to Australia, settling in Victoria, in 1856.  He put a notice in the newspaper searching for his sister Hannah who came out before him, and it says in that notice she's from Ballyshannon in Ireland.  I can trace his movements in Australia, and he didn't come to Tasmania.

Offline Margaret Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William McElwee b. 1837 Glasgow immigrated to Aus in 1857
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Greetings!   

I am so sorry it's taken me a couple of years to find you -- but here I am.  William Joseph McElwee is also my third great grandfather.     It goes William William George Reginald Valerie me ..

I am happy to share all that I have about the family ... my e-mail address is marg-r @ hotmail . com .. obv. take out the spaces.

Hello family ...

Margaret

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Have you eliminated this family in the 1851 census at 52 Rutherglen Loan, Gorbals
Margaret McIlwene/wid/41/b Ireland
William McIlwene/son/12/ b Glasgow
Margaret McIlwene/daughter/10/ b Glasgow
Mary McIlwene/daughter/8/b Glasgow
John Broadly/visitor/25/b Glasgow
Francis Broadly/visitor/23/b Ireland ?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi tabx,

Can you clarify his birth year please

“Born in Glasgow in March, 1837, ….. arriving Feb 1858 (aged 31)”

Offline tabx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I'm so glad you replied - I will email you.

I finally have found William's parents.  They are Joseph McElwee and Janet Lorimer.  I will send you what other info I have.  I can not find them on the census, I suspect because McElwee is spelt (and misspelt) so many different ways.

Offline tabx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 01:45 BST (UK) »
My mistake. 21 years in 1858.

Hi tabx,

Can you clarify his birth year please

“Born in Glasgow in March, 1837, ….. arriving Feb 1858 (aged 31)”

Offline sophieisobelasher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 18 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm so glad I found this information. William McElwee is my 3 x Great Grandfather and I've been searching for information about him and his parents, Joseph McElwee and Janet Lorimer.
I'm also fascinated that I can not find William's birth certificate, I have a feeling that McElwee has been spelt in an unusual way on it.
If anyone can share any further information regarding William and his parents it would be greatly appreciated. The McElwee name is certainly making it tricky to track them down.

Thanks
Sophie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

tabx and Margaret will get a notification of your post and hopefully make contact via RootsChat.

I saw this brief ancestry on the family here http://tabether.com/people/p000000w.htm#I181  Is this yours tabx?

Not sure what the source of William's birth date is. There is this showing birth and baptism dates https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bpenman&id=I22979 Reference there to FS film for the source. It does not show on Scotlands People though.

The reason, apart from spelling variations on the surname, that you are not likely finding something for William is that his birth is before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855. Before this year, you are looking hopefully for an entry in the Old Parish Registers which can be a bit of a hit and miss affair for all sorts of reasons.

From that link above and mention of parents' names for William, there is mention of at least two sisters for William. These may be their index entries from the OPRs on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Janet MCKELVIE - parents JOSEPH MCKELVIE/JANET LORRIMER
20/08/1832
ref 644/1330 380
Glasgow

Mary MCILWIE - parents JOSEPH MCILWIE/JANET LORIMER
23/11/1834
Ref 644/240 323
Gorbals

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Regarding early censuses. I am wondering whether the reason that we can't find the family together may be because Joseph father died early?

There is a marriage /banns in the OPRs indexed as:

Name Robert Dunn
Spouse's Name Janet Lorimer
Event Date 13 Dec 1846
Event Place Glasgow,Lanark

There is this possible 1851 census entry. Everyone showing as born in Glasgow. The two Margarets showing as daughters to Robert and Janet also make me think this is a second marriage for both Robert and Janet below, each already having a daughter Margaret from their first marriage:

Robert Dunn 39 Cloth Lapper b. Glasgow
Janet Dunn 49
Margaret Dunn 16
Margaret Mce Dunn 24
Janet Mce Dunn 18
Mary Dunn 16
William Dunn 14 painter b. Glasgow

Address: 48 Barrack St, Glasgow

The 1841 census seems elusive  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk