Author Topic: Hampshire Regiment Regular army service numbers look up  (Read 12062 times)

Offline Damo66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hampshire Regiment Regular army service numbers look up
« on: Tuesday 21 February 12 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I am working on a roll of the 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment present at the battle of Le Cateau 26/08/1914.

As part of this work I am developing a roll of enlistment dates for pre WW1 regulars enlisting betweem 1894 and 1914.

I would be happy to look up any soldier and find the initial enlistment date. To do this I need the soldiers service number, not their surname.

If you have found their medal card and can find no other details this may be of use.

(Please note this does not apply to Hampshire Regiment soldiers enlisting in Territorial or Service Battalions as they had different numbering systems.)

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hampshire Regiment Regular army service numbers look up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline Damo66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
If you look at the site you quote you will find one service number per year from 1890 to 1914.
My research, though not yet complete, already has 115 entries (and will have around 1,500 entries when complete).
The accuracy of the date is important for anyone who is trying to correlate Militia Papers via Find My Past and regular army service, such as would be evidenced by a WW1 medal card, because the militia papers do not show the regular army service number.

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Wasn't meaning to make a wally out of you..by any means!

Good luck (Truthfully) ..speak to Paul Nixon at The Great War Forum..

regards

DM

Offline Hearne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi damo66 I am looking for Sgt Walter Feltham  6877  1st battalion Hampshire Reg.  who first entered the theatre of war on 23 Aug 1914 and was killed 4th October 1917. He must have had a hell of a war!
If you can find his enlistment date I would be most grateful. We are working to trace the stories of those remembered on our village war memorial. Thank you Hearne

Offline Hearne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Walter Feltham 6877 1st Battalion HAMPSHIRE Regiment arrived in France 23 Aug 1914 and was killed 4th Oct 1917 I would love to know when and where he joined up.

Offline Damo66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 13 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Walter's details from Soldier's Died indicate that he was born at Codford, Wilts; lived Twyford, and enlisted at Winchester.

No service / pension / militia papers survive for him.

His service number, 6878, shows that he enlisted between 25/05/1903 and 7/07/1903 (In the future I hope to be able to narrow that down for you).

As he is found on the 1911 Census in civilian employment it seems that he was in the Army Reserve at this time. So he probably enlisted for short service - 3 years with the colours and nine on the reserve - and this would see him mobilized on 5/08/1914 as were most of the Regiment's reservists.

Hope that this is of some use. Should I find any further information about Walter I shall let you know. In the meantime you might find the website about the Gill family in WW1 of interest (Google Gillww1) as it has some interesting photos of and information about the battalion at the end of 1914 through to May 1915.

I note that some sources have Walter as Walter Charles H, could you let me know if this is correct, and if so, what does the H stand for?

Damon

Offline Hearne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Damon,
Thank you for your very promt reply.
Most of what you have I agree with. His numberfrom the WW1 MEDALS INDEX CARDS is shown as 6877.
He married Evelyn Yarndley in Horsham in 1910.  The Clasp for his 1914 Star was sent to his widaw at 6  Queen Terrace Leatherhead on 26 .4. 20.

We in Twyford are preparing a history of all those on our WW1 Memorial and the entry 1901 Census is quite compex entered as SON may be a error, or remarriage or other reason. He new horses and animals well. The fact that he survived until the Battle of Boodseinde gives me the feeling that he may have been involved with the horses of the Battalion.
Charles is correct, his father was Charles when I get the Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate from the GRO next week I  will let you know what the"H" stands for.
He went from Southampton to Le Havre on 23 August with the 1st Battalion (Regulars) so he would I'm thinking have done his Basic Training before that. 
This is all so intesting. We are finding many farm boys and others joined up to escape the drugery at home.
Have you read "No Thankful Village by Chris Howell" Chris managed to collect personal stories over 20 years in the Somerset Coal Field. Superb and Saddening. WE have now lost the personal stories so are having to use Newspapers of the time which are mostly terribly Gung HO

Thank you keep in touch

Hearne

Offline Damo66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 13 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Sorry I mistyped his number, but 6877 still falls within the May to July 1903 range [6850 opping enlisted 25/05/03; 6883 Cockman enlisted 07/07/03].
Damon