Author Topic: Army/Equine meeting photo for identification  (Read 15692 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army/Equine meeting photo for identification
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Not hickstead I would say, Duggie Bunn was born 1928 at Selsey. I don't know what year he purchased Hickstead but it started life as a horse events arena about 1960. I dont recognise that building as being there.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline PaddyInWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 March 12 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for contribitions: will look up the 21 June wedding.

The black armband on the Duke of Connaught's arm is for soldier Sir Henry Wilson, who was shot in London on 22 June 1922 (the Duke was a pall bearer at his funeral).

Justice Taft went back to the US on July 8th 1922.

So this photo was taken between those dates.

Could it be Newmarket? The Royals and the Duke were reported returning from there on July 1st. Those circles could be royal enclosure passes.

Paddy

Offline PaddyInWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 March 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to The Times archive, could they perhaps look in the issue of 21 June 1922 for the report on (and maybe a guest list from) the wedding the previous day of Leonora "Lorna" Stanley Baldwin, daughter of 'the' Stanley Baldwin, and Capt. Hon. Arthur Jared Palmer Howard, son of Margaret Baroness Strathcona, at St Margaret's, Westminster.
According to Kipling's Letters, the Kiplings were all present and Elsie was a bridesmaid. She subsequently accompanied the couple on their honeymoon to Colonsay, Argyll.

The Lord Lucan-alike in the doorway at the back bears more than a passing resemblance to the bridegroom's brother Donald Sterling Palmer Howard!
http://thepeerage.com/p7745.htm#i77444

Adrian

P.S. Stanley Baldwin and Kipling were cousins, and George Bambridge was a close family friend of the Baldwins, having served with Leonora's brother Oliver in the Irish Guards in WW1.

Thanks Adrian, yes I did get the Times report, and have been able to add a couple of ringers to the list...

Offline PaddyInWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 March 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
You have all been so helpful here in the Forum, from start to finish. I have now solved the major where/when problem with your help, so thought you deserved a progress report! I will still be working on naming those faces though, and would be very glad for any thoughts you have too. Here is the list to date, and below I will repeat the photo and my mapping image. William Howard Taft is The Key that unlocked the mystery!!!

Paddy

Group photo taken at or near Fritwell Manor, Oxford, home of John Simon (6)
on July 1st or 2nd 1922. Note round passes worn by some people suggesting an army equine event of some kind, perhaps organised for the Tafts (14 & 15)

1   ?
2   ? Uniformed
3   ?
4   ? Uniformed
5   Donald Sterling Palmer Howard, 3rd Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal.
6   John Simon, 1st Viscount Simon, host of this gathering.  He was later to become Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer. He had “an unfortunately chilly manner”: in 1922 he was MP for Spen Valley and deputy leader of the Liberal Party. Husband of 25.
7   ?
8   ?
9   ?
10   ?
11   ?
12   ?
13   ? Possibly William Ferguson Massey, Prime Minister Of New Zealand 1912 – 1925: made at least five visits to UK during this time, not yet been able to prove presence in 1922
14   US Chief Justice William Howard Taft, formerly US President. On three week fact-finding visit to Britain, 16th June-8th July 1922
15   Helen (“Nellie”) Taft, wife of 14
16   ? Uniformed
17   ?
18   ? Uniformed
19   Bonar Law?
20   ?
21   ? Uniformed
22   Captain William Masters, R.A.S.C.
23   ?
24   ? Uniformed
25   Kathleen, Viscountess Simon, hostess of this gathering. Wife of 6
26   Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, favourite son of Queen Victoria. Note black armband: he is in mourning for the death of his close friend Field Marshal Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, shot by IRA gunmen in London, June 22nd 1922.
27   General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien, great friend of Lord Kitchener
28   Carrie Kipling, wife of 30
29   Elsie Kipling, daughter of 30 and 28
30   Rudyard Kipling
31   Captain George Louis St Clair Bambridge, Diplomat, of Wimpole Hall, near Cambridge: will marry 29 in 1924

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 March 12 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 March 12 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Wow, what a gathering  :o :D
Great sleuthing, everyone, I've been following along and am very impressed.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 March 12 01:00 GMT (UK) »
According to the NZ papers available on http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ Mr Massey was still in NZ on the 29th June, so I don't think he's in the photo  :-\

Offline PaddyInWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 March 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
No 23 looks like Miss Bowes-Lyon

http://www.google.co.uk/search?rls=com.microsoft&hl=en&q=queen%20mum&spell=1&sa=X

I have to say, I agree with you, though the image is rather blurred, that it does look like the Queen Mum at 22 years old (a year before she married Albert, Duke of York. I reproduce it below in higher resolution. I would assume she is sitting next to a partner of some kind, but it doesn't look much like Bertie, also his uniform would have RAF wings above the breast pocket.

Comments welcome!

Paddy

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 March 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Her left arm is behind hold some sort of stick or rail as if she is sat slight behind the army officer, also the officer stands out  (Sort of 3 D effect infont of her)  he seems a lot older to be her man but not impossible.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth