Author Topic: Desparately Seeking Edward George Taylor  (Read 26132 times)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Re: Desparately Seeking Edward George Taylor
« Reply #99 on: Monday 30 April 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/New_Zealand_Archives_and_Libraries

Another link for you, which relates to the previous link, I think if contact these they may be able to give you advise on where to go with this

Marg
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 30 April 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Awesome Thank you yet again Marg...I will check it out today.

Good news is my aunt and cousin and partner are sorting though papers found and trying to scan them for me...Yippee...sadly the papers are very very brittle and crumbling..but fingers crossed.

I have also started pieceing together my father's mother Connie Batchelor's family - Have alot more names of her siblings etc and their dates- it was not my original direction but I will look anyway...and see how far I get..

thank you very much Marg- I was hoping to join the local geneology society as I know so little...but maybe books from the library will be more friendly...

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 30 April 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
These names are so hard to link together in any English records that I can't help wondering whether the family had been elsewhere for a long time (whether in Singapore/Malaya for generations or elsewhere).

India springs to mind as there are lots of Da Silvas there.

Also could Dessis be Dennis? If so that suggests to me a possible Irish connection as that name did not become fashionable in England until a bit later. I think the family was Catholic, at least going by Connie's funeral announcement?

Names and dates are fantastic; any clues at all to location could be very valuable too!

Sorry for the late reply....thank you for your help.

Yes its been so frustrating to try to find them in any records..it is almost like they did not exist.  I am re trying Singapore for information. I have not been successful in getting replies to any of my questions.

My aunt is trying to read the writing on the paperwork ( faded old and crumbling ) she has found..so I will confirm if the names as Dessis or Dennis......but the family is Catholic has always been as far as I can tell. I do not know how long they were in the east  Singapore / Malaya for- there could have been some movement as the whole area including India was a British colony. There are lots of De Silvers in Singapore too...will keep trying to glean info. Thanks again.

I am going to try the old Singapore papers to see if I hit upon anything..

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 02:27 BST (UK) »
I have been re reading the suggestions on this thread and looked up Cousin Connect....and found this query....again..some names are familir but they are common names- just putting it here to look at again...

I'm looking for descendants of Aldwell William Taylor,Resident of Malacca,Malaysia from(1798 - 1803).He was born in 1759.Son William Taylor of Yatton, Herefordshire and Elizabeth Aldwell. He nominated a cadet for Madras for the season 1775/1776 HEIC. Deputy Chairman (John Roberts) at the recommendation of Mr Woodhouse, aged 17. Appointed 10th November 1775.He married to Ann Charlotte Metford.He died in 1817.His issue:- i)Aldwell Taylor married to Elizabeth Pearce Taylor.His children:- ai)Elizabeth Taylor(1823-1881). ii)Jane Taylor married to John Dungate Featherstonehaugh Parsons.His childrens:- ai)John Featherstonehaugh Parsons( born in 1849). aii)George Metford Parsons(born in 1851). aiii)Arthur Wilde Parsons(1854-1931).Married to Mary Waters Burridge.His childrens:- bi)Mary Elizabeth Parsons. bii)Amy Parsons. biii)Arthur Dungate Burridge Parsons married to Clare Martha Oxley.His childrens:- ci)Marjorie Clare Parsons married to Edgar Cully. cii)Dunstan Arthur Aldwell Parsons married to Hetty Wilkins. ciii)Denys Wilde Parsons married to Eileen Lawrence.His children:- di)Peter Austin Wilde Parsons MacPherson married to Margaret Corfield.His childrens:- ei)Lawrence Aldwell Wilde Parsons. eii)Trudi Arwen Wilde Parsons. aiv)Jane Parsons married to Charles Knighton Bosanquet. iii)John Braithwaite Taylor married to Martha Anne ?.His children:- ai)Aldwell Charles Taylor. iv)Peter Alexander Taylor. v)Robert Taylor. vi)Charlotte Taylor(1803-1879). vii)Lydia Taylor(1806-1854). viii)Charles Taylor(1807-1876). ix)William Taylor. x)Anne Taylor.

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 02:29 BST (UK) »
That middle portion was to be in quotes...and coloured- ???? it is someone else's query not mine...just found similar names...

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 03 May 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
I have more names to add ..but sadly no year- they are taken from my grandfather's personal papers that my aunt is reviewing.

Rendolph Taylor  20-6-?

Adelard Taylor 16- - ?

I also got a reply from the archives in Singapore with some useful links that I will post here for anyone else who may need it...

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Friday 04 May 12 00:25 BST (UK) »
This is part of the reply I recieved from the archives in Singapore and their links in my search...I am posting it here to  help anyone else who may also need this info.

1.  Online Access to Archives

You may wish to visit our online finding aid, Access to Archives online at http://www.a2o.com.sg to see if you can find any information pertaining to your family.

2. National Library Board’s Digital Newspaper Portal

You may also wish to visit the National Library Board's (NLB) digital newspaper portal at  http://www.newspapers.nl.sg

NLB has newspaper collections starting from mid 19th century, i.e. The 'Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser' is available from 1835 to 1942.

For enquiries on newspapers, please send NLB an email at ref@nlb.gov.sg

3. Birth & Death Certifications

For information pertaining to birth and death certifications, you may refer to the Registry of Births and Deaths at http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=161&secid=159 

The Registry of Births & Deaths maintains the birth and death registered in Singapore since 1872. You may also email your enquiries to ica_rbd@ica.gov.sg 

4. Burial Information

For information on burial, National Environment Agency may be contacted at contact_nea@nea.gov.sg

5. Marriage Records

For marriage records search you are required to submit an application to the National Archives of Singapore. To ascertain whether we can assist you, please complete the attached ‘Request for Marriage Records’ form and fax it to us at  (65) 6332 3238, or scan a copy and email it to us. State full names, date of marriage and any other details that you have, such as the name of the church if the marriage took place in a church. This will enable us to determine if we are able to conduct a search. If your information allows us to make a search, a search fee is chargeable regardless of whether the marriage record is found after the search. Normally, we will let you know of the outcome of the search within 7 working days of receiving your agreement to carry out the search and receipt of search fee.

The search fee is S$35.00 (excluding GST).  Upon receiving your completed form, we will provide you with payment details if a search can be done.

For marriages conducted in a church, we require those who wish to obtain records of church marriages, to first obtain authorisation letters from the relevant church to allow searches to be made.   

6. Other websites that you may be interested in

·         The Eurasian Heritage centre  -  http://www.eurasians.org.sg/contact-us/

·         http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/e/r/Barry-P-Pereira/index.html

Offline winsonsaw2003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 25 January 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I know the direct descendant of Col.Aldwell William Taylor of Malacca.

Best regards,
Winson Saw
A historian.

Offline LizzieCH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 08 June 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is something that could help?....in the garden of my house, I have a well-preserved memorial stone with the inscription:

"In memory of FREDERICK TAYLOR died March 1st 1907 aged 48 years.  Erected as a token of respect by his friends of the Rifleman Inn, Fore St Ipswich".

I sent for a copy of his death certificate to try to find out some of the history behind this - the death certificate shows that he died at an address in Ipswich and he was a labourer, and his death was registered by the Coroner for Ipswich, not a relative.  I then also sent for a copy of a birth certificate for a Frederick Taylor born 25th December 1858, who may or may not be the same person (but the dates and approx. location are reasonably close), this birth certificate shows this Frederick Taylor's parents to be: John Taylor and Eliza Taylor (formerly Scolding) of the Street, Coddenham, with John Taylor being an agricultural labourer.

I don't know whether or not this will be useful in helping to piece together some of the history - but it appears that "my" Frederick Taylor had many friends locally, and was well respected although, for whatever reason, there was no relative to be found at the time to register his death  :'(