Author Topic: 2 names for father on certificates - help needed  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 names for father on certificates - help needed
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 February 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm inclined to agree that it is likely that one of them was not free to marry before Alice's birth. 
Are we sure that JOHNSON was Ellen's maiden name and that she had not been previously married?

If it's any help I'll be at Nottm archives in the middle of March and am happy to look up the Wellow entry in 1864 for Alice. 

NC.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 February 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
There are births in 1837, that Iam sure you have seen but here goes anyway.
Dec 1837 Robert Bond Holbeach 14/303
Jun 1838 John Bond Sleaford 14/496
Fleet came under Holbeach.
There is a posting on Curious Fox ,Holbeach page about Robert Bond, is this you? If not it may be a help to contact the person who posted it.

Also it is very possible that Robert Bond simply changed his name to John Haywood to "get lost" as it were. Having left a wife behind to live with another woman, did we not see someone on WDYTYA, who's ancestor had done this....
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Headgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 February 12 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm inclined to agree that it is likely that one of them was not free to marry before Alice's birth. 
Are we sure that JOHNSON was Ellen's maiden name and that she had not been previously married?

If it's any help I'll be at Nottm archives in the middle of March and am happy to look up the Wellow entry in 1864 for Alice. 

NC.
Thanks for the offer, will the archives hold any more info than whats on Alices birth certificate as I already have this?

Offline Headgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 February 12 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I cant seem to find any records for JOHN HAYWOOD BOND other than whats already been mentioned, can anyone suggest what I should do next as Im stumped  ???

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 February 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I know this is going to be a stupid question, but hey  ::) ::)

On Alice's birth certiciate what does it actually state in the "Name and surname of father" column and "Name, surname and maiden surname of mother"? 

You've told us that Ellen Bond was the informant, but I'd just like to get it straight in my mind regarding the actual wording for the parents, because the 1862 baptism (according to Family Search) appears to show the surname as HAYWOOD rather than BOND, supported by the GRO entry for Mary Hannah Bond Haywood from FreeBMD.  ::)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Headgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 February 12 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB,
                    Not a stupid question at all as this seems to be quite complicated! Alices certificates gives the following info:
Name of informant : Ellen Bond
Name and surname of father: John Haywood Bond
Name, surname and maiden name of mother: Ellen Bond (formerly Johnson)

I found the same info as you for Alices older sister Mary Hannah where she is Bond Haywood but Alices surname is just given as Bond, no mention of Haywood.

So, just to summarise for the benefit of anyone else reading this, Im trying to find out:

Any records at all for John Haywood Bond who is named as the father of my gt gt grandmother Alice Bond

Robert Bond is named on Alices marriage cert as her father and appears on all census returns throughout her childhood - Are Robert Bond and John Haywood Bond one and the same person or is it just a massive coincidence that Ellen had 2 spouses with the surname Bond?

Thanks!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 February 12 10:26 GMT (UK) »
This is certainly a difficult one.  You said at reply #12 that you didn't want to go off on a "tangent" to find Ellen before the children were born, but it doesn't seem to me to be a tangent at all. Given that Minnie was born (as "Bond Haywood") in 1862, finding Ellen in 1861 - and ascertaining what she is calling herself and who (if anybody) she is with - could be very informative.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Headgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 February 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
This is certainly a difficult one.  You said at reply #12 that you didn't want to go off on a "tangent" to find Ellen before the children were born, but it doesn't seem to me to be a tangent at all. Given that Minnie was born (as "Bond Haywood") in 1862, finding Ellen in 1861 - and ascertaining what she is calling herself and who (if anybody) she is with - could be very informative.

Good point, I have had a look in 1861 census' for her but cant find anything and as it seems Ellen didnt marry either John or Robert so I dont have a marriage cert I could order to find out her fathers name and work from there. Ellen also called herself different variations of Ellen on the census records from 1871 onwards so thats not helping to narrow down my search either, hmmm

Offline Headgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 February 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Afterthought - If I ordered Ellens death certificate (I know her exact date of death and location) what info would that give me? I have only ordered birth and marr certs before so dont know if it would be of any help at all