Author Topic: *Lookup required* Lisnaskea COI Church Marriage  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *Lookup required* Lisnaskea COI Church Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 March 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The records for Lisnaskea are contained within the parish of Aghalurcher. I don’t think they are on-line anywhere, which is why I think you may need to get someone to look them up in PRONI. (By the way, PRONI don’t charge for access to the records).
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn,

Thanks for the info about Aghalurcher records being at the PRONI.
That means I'm going to have to go there some time and look for my Rennick ancestors.
I wish microfilm weren't such an unpleasant medium and the new PRONI such an uninviting place.
Used to enjoy my visits to the house on Balmoral Avenue, even if it was sometimes a bit of a scrimmage, but have noticed how the new one is usually almost empty when I go there.  And they won't even let me park my bicycle in their bike shed which only ever has about one bike in it.  All the friendly atmosphere of the place was lost when they moved.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Wee Hugh,

The thing about microfilm is that it is robust. Some of the tapes at PRONI are 65 years old now (I am thinking of the Registry of Deeds tapes) and they are still in pretty good condition.  One of the PRONI managers told me that apart from the cost implications, there’s a reluctance to transfer the data they hold on microfilm to any other format in case it becomes obsolete as floppy disks etc did. Their thinking is to spend money on acquiring new records and protecting existing records but digitizing the microfilm holding isn’t on the agenda. (And they have just had their budget cut). So I think the microfilms are there for the foreseeable future.

Watch out for the NI National Register records (ie the September 1939 mini census, compiled for ration book provision etc). PRONI are going to release these records (subject to restrictions relating to people still alive) in a few months time. My spy tells me they will be free to search (in contrast to the £42 fee payable for similar searches of the records for England & Wales).

I think that’s a poor show regarding your bicycle. I’d be inclined to raise that with them and ask them how the lack of provision for bikes sits with Government targets on green activities, getting people to use sustainable methods of transport etc.
Elwyn

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 March 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Wee Hugh,

Transcriptions of the COI Lisnaskea Church records by George Armstrong are available here: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/church.htm

Rennick's by the shedload, I hope some are yours.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rusty

Yes, more is not always better!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds