Author Topic: John Spence  (Read 6818 times)

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Spence
« on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looking for John Spence who was married to Ann Louisa Brown, unfortunatly I dont know when or where they were born, its just a stab in the dark through family information. I have just found out that they could have come from Birsay Orkney, they had a son Benjamin West Spence. what I do know the wedding cert of Benjamin is that his father was a general merchant in St. Vincents and both his mother and father had died before his marriage in 1885
thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Spence
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:59 GMT (UK) »
How old was Benjamin when he married in 1885 and who did he marry and where
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
He was 24 when he married Annie Wotherspoon from Kilbirnie in Ayrshire and married in Stevenston Ayrshire
Heather

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming that Benjamin was a seaman as Annie is alone with the children on both the 1891 and 1901 census

Have you found the family on the 1911 census?  Is Benjamin at home with the family?

If he was 24 when he married Ann - his birthyear was around 1861

However - the only match on the 1871 census with parents John & Ann was born 1851 and Ann was nee Miller from IGI records
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1871 entry for a John Spence born in Shoreditch Middlesex - parents John & Ann but his birthyear is 1866 and he was still with his widowed mother in 1891

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, thanks for helping, Benjamin was drowned in 1894 when his boat sank, therefore there is no death cert. that is whey I dont know when he was born. I have in an old family book that his birthday was Aug 1860 but nothing else, I have seaman records for 2 of his merchant boats and they stated that he came from St. Vincents west Indies, but I cant find anything to say he was born there or his parents were from there
Heather

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 December 14 05:41 GMT (UK) »
I happen to be looking for Spence ancestors too, so your query caught my eye.  You might try looking for non-conformist records with a name like Benjamin West Spence.  There may be no connection, but there is a famous Benjamin West who was a Quaker who became president of the royal society of Art.  His father was English, went to America, where Benjamin West was born, and he then returned to Europe to study art.  If the family were naming their son after him, there may be a connection?  If it is a coincidence that he has a famous name, then of course with Scottish ancestry I'd be looking for a grandfather with the name Benjamin West.
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th