Author Topic: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen  (Read 15301 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen/Killaderry
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
How many of you have been to Killaderry?

For those who don't know it's just outside Skib. on the Tragumna Road.Get to Lis Ard (lake) travel about a mile, turn left about a hundred yards and turn left again.It is a small town land.(Look it up on Google map as they now have images at long last!) Bohanes still live there,Patrick and Michael. Somehow we are all related.In previous generations my Bohanes (first house on left still standing!) married Hegarties from Lahardane (town land over the hill) and Driscoll.I stayed in the farm when very very young in the fifties. My Uncle John Bohane died about 1957 and the farm was sold to another Bohane already in the town land.
My cousins, who are older than me, remember family info. My great grandmother lived at the farm and was born before the famine.They say that around the famine years many more families lived there and had small plots of land.I know that until 1890ish they did not own the farm so can only assume that they let these people stay on their land or God forbid, were sub letting.I understand many of these families went to The States.The Bohanes that went then became Bowen.
Hope this may be of use to someone.
Extra info can be found at The Skibbereen Heritage Centre.The staff are brilliant.
Also,Sonas whom I see here,has a very big thank you from me for pointing me in the right direction!  :):)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline OllieD11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 April 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Miggs - Thanks for posting your knowledge on the Bohanes, very interesting to read. I have never been down there but it is on my list of things to do sometime! :) I suppose with there being so many branching Bohanes living there, makes it all a little more difficult to track. Good to hear you have found the right path!

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just back from Skib and have another piece to the puzzle. I'll add it here in case anyone can find links to it.
               Bridget Bohane born 1918
Father.      Peter Bohane    Born1864 Killaderry
Mother.     Ellen Hegarty.   Born1877  Laharadane
Her father Patrick Hegarty  ?                   "
Her mother Mary Driscoll   Drishane
Her father William Driscoll.     ".      (from marriage cert )
 Anyone recognise this ?
Apparently the name William is unusual at this time.
What I'm not sure is could it be Drishane Tragumna or Drishane Castletownsend ?
Due to the proximity to Tragumna I think it must be this one.
Does any one have any links.
I'm about to look at the 1901/1911 census for Drishane but of course it's a big gap in years from when Mary was born and even further back for William. 🙂
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline Full Circle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Miggs-

I am new to this forum so I hope that I am doing this correctly and that this reaches you.

I live in the United States in Minnesota and this past weekend attended a community rummage sale with my husband where I purchased an old photo album which contains 25 pictures dating around the late 1800's - early 1900's.
The album was signed by the owner as Annie Hegarty Lahardane Skibb. I decided to see if I could perhaps find out something about her and so looked online which eventually lead a path to you at this forum.

Aside from her name on the inside cover there is also another picture which contains her name as well as Dan Kearnes. The photography studios are marked on each photo and range from Oswego New York, Orange New Jersey, Boston, Butte Montana, Helena Montana, Anaconda Montana, Portland Oregon & San Francisco.
(I will attempt to attach a few pictures to this post)

After finding you as a link to this family, I felt it important to reach you.
I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 September 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This is amazing and absolutely unbelievable. I am sooo excited . Annie Hegarty was one of my great Aunts. Three of my grandmothers sisters went to the USA and we had no idea where.
With help from someone called Skibgirl who is a genealogist I managed to track them down to Montana. The records of Deer Park were excellent and gave their names and their parents names so I know it is definitely them. Birth dates and place correct too. As far as I know nothing more was heard but it may be that when my grandmother died in Ireland in 1955 the letters etc were lost as the farm had to be sold shortly after.
We have no photographic record of this part of our family but think that there are descendents still living there by looking at Montana records. We know they were in Anaconda.
I just can not believe it !!! '
I've been doing the research but there are many great nephews and nieces in Ireland who await my next piece of info ! I live and was born in the UK. Thank you for posting this letter and looking for a link. The photos you put in came through fine. We have one photo that came home from America around 1960. It was brought over by a visiting American family but no one can remember who they were. We are pretty certain that it is the brothers and sisters when they first went out.
I would be so glad to hear from you again. Such an amazing piece of good fortune.
Would you be interested in parting with it ?
Can you say exactly where you bought it as it may give a link as to where the next generations are living.
Thank you so much for making the effort to contact.
Miggs
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline Full Circle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Miggs

I am SO glad I reached you!

I was at my cabin in Northern Minnesota when I went to the sale. No one had any information about the origins of the album as the items were from numerous donations from the community. The town is Grand Marais, MN it sits on the shores of Lake Superior.

I contacted you in hopes of the album finding its way back home to its rightful place which is to you! (That is why I chose the username of "Full Circle" for this forum.) ;)

The album itself has much wear and is coming apart in places, which just speaks of its story and its travels. Most of the photos are in very good condition.

The only photo with writing on the back is of a soldier and says: "Steal not this photo for fear of shame for here you see the owner's name - Annie Hegarty"
It also says: "If ever this child should wander _?__? __?_ ?  and send him home"

So that is what I'd like to do....send it home.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 September 16 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I am so grateful that you thought to find the photos "home". Annie's home was Laharadane which is a tiny area of land in Castlehaven Skibbereen. It is about a mile away from The Atlantic right in the south west corner of Ireland. I don't think she or her brothers and sisters ever returned. She would have been born and brought up on a farm and any schooling would have been at a school on the beach at Tragumna. Her parents were Patrick Hegarty and Mary Driscoll. Annies's sister was my grandmother. I didn't meet her either as my mother was one from youngest out of ten and she didn't marry and have me until thirty five so the older relatives died before I was born.
I return to Skibbereen every year. It is very expensive but I always say I am "going home" even though I wasn't born there.
It is a beautiful country with wonderful people and very different to England.
Would you be willing to send the album to the UK ? Of course I would pay all your costs. I just can not believe the coincidence of you finding the photos and then finding me on Roots Chat. The wonders of ICT !
Annie and her brothers and sisters married but did not return home. It must have been so sad for their parents. At least when my mother who would have been her niece, came to the UK they knew they would be able to go home and regularly did.
As a family we are still in contact with second and third generation that went to Boston and New York but have no idea about the Hegartys apart from the bits I picked up on genealogy. They ended up in Deer Park Anaconda Montana.
If you would be willing to let the album "come home" please let me know how much it will cost and I can pay you with PayPal.
Thank you again for rescuing it and trying to find me.
Miggs.       'Full Circle'. 🙂🙂🙂
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline Full Circle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 September 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
Miggs-

After studying the faces in the album of this family I really wondered what their story might be, so thank you for the background information...I find it quite fascinating!

I don't require payment for the album, as I am thrilled to be able to get these missing pieces of your family's heritage back to you!

Perhaps you could send me a PM with your mailing address.

Have a wonderful evening!

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 08 September 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.
I'll get back to you tomorrow I've just come in from a genealogy meeting.
I still can't get over your kindness at trying to find out who they are.
I always feel that my ancestors made me who I am so I have much to be grateful for .
Miggs. 🙂🙂🙂
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth