Author Topic: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen  (Read 15366 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen
« Reply #36 on: Friday 09 September 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
This is just such a joy to see. I'm so pleased for you Miggs and how wonderful of Full Circle to take the trouble to find you.

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 09 September 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
This is a brilliant story!  Well done Full Circle

Just reading back over the thread Miggs191. You mentioned William being a rare name in those days. You might be interested in knowing that my great great grandfather was born in Bawnishall which borders Laherdane on the other side and he was named William also.  I don't have a date of birth for him but I estimate that he was born around between 1810 and 1820 (I know that he had children who were born in the 1840s and I know that his daughter (whose dob I don't know) had her first child in 1860

As an aside, are people aware that the Irish civil records are now live on irishgenealogy.ie . You can see the actual records for births between 1864 and 1915, marriages between 1882 and 1940 and deaths from 1891 to 1965. I believe that marriage and death records might extend further back at some stage in the future. Brilliant resource. I used to pay €4 a pop to request records from the GRO in the past and often they would turn out to be the wrong family

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 09 September 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Sin an and Whl,
Thank you for your messages.
Isn't it wonderful what some people will do.
I still can't believe it.
Yes, saw the Irish records yesterday,that will be many happy hours or should I say years ??!!! In front of a computer on winter nights. 🙂🙂🙂🙂
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline ALF16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hi miggs, I’m new here and found your thread through google. My 3rd great grandmother was Bridget Hegarty, born about 1838 somewhere in Cork, died 1924 in Oswego, NY. According to her death certificate, her parents were Patrick Hegarty and Mary Atridge. Bridget married Peter Collins, and between 1863-1879 they had nine children who were all baptized in the Skibbereen area, before they came to Oswego, NY in 1882.

So I have two questions for you. First, do any of these names sound familiar to you? And second, I noticed in the posts about the photo album found by Full Circle that some of the pictures were taken in Oswego. Were any of those labeled? I would love to see the Oswego ones in particular, if you wouldn’t mind sharing.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf 16
I’ve only just seen your post.
I’m interested to see you are linked to the Attridges because they are often sponsors for family baptisms.
I am in England but should be in Skibbereen now but can’t go because of the virus. Every summer I go “ home” and spend three weeks trying to link them all together with the help of the Skibbereen Heritage Centre. They are amazing.
I’ll hook out my Irish genealogy and check for names and see if I can post photos from the album on here. Miggs
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline ALF16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 June 20 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hey miggs, it's nice to hear from you! I'm sorry to hear about your trip this summer. Hopefully next year the world will be a bit closer to normal.

That's interesting about the Attridges. Looking forward to seeing whatever you can share, but no rush!

Offline ALF16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
Miggs, PS—I just found a DNA match on Ancestry who has the following people on her tree:

Patrick Hegarty and Mary Driscoll, parents of Ellen Hegarty who married Peter Bohane. I saw that you mentioned Bohanes and Patrick Hegarty/Mary Driscoll. How were you connected with them?

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again ,
Ellen Hegarty married Peter Bohane in 1900 .They are my grandparents. My grandfather Peter was born in Killaderry in June 1864 My grandmother Ellen was born in the next door townland ( the next field ! ) Laharadane in 1877.
Peters father was Michael and his father before him another Peter. It’s a small townland but many Bohane. Story is that one man had all the land and split it between seven sons ! I’m sure it’s a story but do know that somehow we Bohane of Killaderry are related.
Mary Driscoll,my great grandmother comes from Drishane Tralispean which is walking distance from Killaderry and Laharadane townland. Our family had been on that land at least back to 1800. My mother too,was born there. By 1956 my Uncle John Bohane died unexpectedly. He was only in his early fifties. The older brothers were in the USA and so the farm had to be sold. It was bought by Bohane up the boureen.  Every year I go back. The glass is in the windows. The roof still on but it is falling apart 😢 Thank you for your info. I’m currently working on my English family and have just had a query about my Welsh lot.   I will find the Attridges ! 😃
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline eddiefahy

• RootsChat Extra