Author Topic: Edith Ellen Greenwood  (Read 8104 times)

Offline baldangel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edith Ellen Greenwood
« on: Friday 24 February 12 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I've made an application for a death certificate for Edith Ellen Greenwood, but whilst I wait for it to arrive, I wonder if the good people of the Isle of Man might be able to help with any information on the above.

These are the facts I have obtained via Lawsons.

Born 19 September 1881 to James Greenwood and Mary Carrington, residing at 12 Dale Street, Ramsey.
Died 13 October 1951 and buried at Lezayre.

And between those dates I have absolutely nothing. She doesn't seem to appear on any censuses, no marriage. There is an entry for the same name in Yorkshire, but that is for a birth in Yorkshire as well, so I don't think this is her.

This has bugged me for ages, HELP!!!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Ellen Greenwood
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 12 06:55 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1881 census, father James is a mariner - which might explain the family's absence on other censuses?

Reference is RG11, Piece 5600, Folio, 115, Page 5
12 Dale Street, Maughold, Isle of Man

Greenwood, James  Head  M  42  Mariner  b England
Greenwood, Mary  Wife  F  40  b England
Greenwood, Arthur  Son  M  16  Scholar  b England
Greenwood, George  Son  M  14  Scholar  b England
Greenwood, Anna  Daughter  F  11  Scholar  b England
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »
 Birth  cert.  as   registration  in IOM   was only compulsory   from 1878.

.The   burial   register     at    Lezayre   has   Edith  Ellen   Greenwood   from    Ellen   Bane,  Lezayre   aged    69  yrs.

13th   Oct.1951.  No   headstone.   Ellan   Bane  [white  island   was   a former  island  in   The   Curragh  or   bogland.] 

It is   north of the  TT   course   at   Glenduff.  L  Quilliam   RBV   says   some   people  believe   the  Property  of  that 

name  was home  of   Myles   Standish  military leader of   Pilgrim   Fathers.

Offline baldangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies, the brothers and sisters gives me the opportunity to explore a different line. The news that there is no headstone is disappointing as we are planning to visit later in the year.

Offline baldangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Some new information has opened a new line of confusion since I last posted on this particular search. A friend of mine has noticed that the 1881 Census transcription for James Greenwood had been changed to Grimwood (reason of poor handwriting). This opened up a new line that appeared to have put me on track. The 1891 Census shows the family now living in Whitehaven, Cumberland (as Grimwoods) with all the relevant dates appearing to match. By 1901, Edith has become a servant in Whitehaven. In the 1911 Cenus, she has married but also become widowed, and is now Edith Burns and she has a son, whose middle name is Carrington (the maiden name of her mother). She later remarries and becomes Edith Sewell.

And this is where the confusion now arises. As Edith Sewell, she is listed as having died at Morpeth, Cumberland in 1938, completely at odds with my original information regarding the burial at Lezayre.

Can anybody throw any light on this mystery, from within the Isle of Man? I would so love to get to the bottom of this one!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the burial information from? it could be that her name was added to a family headstone but she's not actually buried with them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline baldangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The original information was obtained from Lawsons via the Manx Geneology site and as you might have seen there is a post above from Voirrey M, who has information from the burial registration for Lezayre. I have ordered the death certificate which should arrive in the next couple of days, perhaps this might offer up a clue to the mystery.

Offline baldangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 14:02 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate has arrived and Edith Ellen Greenwood was listed as a Spinster casting doubt on the information regarding the possible transcription error (to Grimwood) as that Edith was married twice and widowed. Very puzzling as the other information, mother Carrington, birth dates, etc., appear the same. As I say, very puzzling.

Offline baldangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I am resurrecting this thread as in June I am going to be visiting the Isle of Man for a long weekend.

My interest in Edith Ellen Greenwood stems from my Dad having lived with her from the age of around nine until he was called up by the army. He came from Stockport and I can find no family link to Nellie, as she was known.

We will visit the places that I'm aware of, the cemetery, Nellie's family home, etc.

Can anybody give me any advice on where we might go to gather any possible information that can give me a clue as and to why he found himself on the Isle of Man at a young age?