Author Topic: Matthew John Fitzpatrick  (Read 3628 times)

Offline SpudsMom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew John Fitzpatrick
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I live in Canada, and recently discovered that my Grandfather was a Home Child sent to Canada in 1927. From the archived documents I have found, he is said to be from Glasgow and was born April 2, 1912. He left Greenock on June 18, 1927 bound for Canada. On the immigration papers in the Canadian Archives, he listed his brother ' J. Fitzpatrick of 86 King St.' as his relative. Where can I find out  information about 86 King St. in 1927, and the identity of J. Fitzpatrick ?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew John Fitzpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spudsmum

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you traced his family back via his birth cert to be able to confirm parents etc.?

There is a birth entry on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a Matthew Fitzpatrick in Govan, Glasgow in 1912 as a possibility. You can't view this online as it is just one year outside the 100yr limit to do so and it would need to be ordered.

There is a 1927 Glasgow post office directory available online (the online editions before this stop at 1912). Couldn't see anything for 86 King Street or a J Fitzpatrick. There are a number of King Streets showing:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~glasgow/1927address929.jpg
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~glasgow/1927address931.jpg

Main page here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~glasgow/index-glas.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SpudsMom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Monica,

I am waiting for the very said birth certificate to arrive in the mail. I have also ordered a copy of his death certificate ( he died Feb 12, 1977 in Vancouver B.C.), and are awaiting that in the mail. Crossing my fingers that there will some info as to his parents. I find it strange that '86 King St.' cannot be located, but the hardest part is who is ' J. Fitzpatrick' ? I will have to wait for the birth certificate/death certificate. Hopefully they will reveal some clues.

Dawn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn

The birth cert will hopefully begin to open doors for you. Scottish certificates are very informative.

Some guidance notes here on Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&402 The birth cert should include full details on parents hopefully. If married, it will also give you their marriage date and place.

1912 is the year after the last published Scottish census, 1911. If parents were already married, you should also hopefully be able to find them on this for background. Censuses are a good place to start checking for possible siblings/children to a couple.

This period of 1912-27 when Matthew left Scotland might be harder to research for possible siblings' births (trying to get to who was J Fitzpatrick).

Stage at a time though....Hopefully the birth cert won't take too long to arrive.

Lots of good advice and help available to you from everyone here once you have this info  :)

Monica

Offline SpudsMom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I have another avenue to investigate about Matthew. As he was a Home Child, I have come across the embarkation papers from when he left Greenock on his voyage to Canada in 1927. The papers state he was at Coleshill, Birmingham and from what I can gather, that is a 'Father Hudson' site for waifs and strays. All part of the child migrant scheme. The plot thickens: what happened to the parents and siblings? I guess contacting Father Hudson's might reveal more information.

Thank you for all your help,
Dawn

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
No Fitzpatricks showing on 1911 census index for Rutherglen which has a King Street

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I am not familiar with Father Hudson's but certainly contacting them regarding their archives may hopefully lead to admission papers or documents that might reveal more about those early years for Matthew.

I guess I am hoping that once you have his parents' names we may be able to work out some of what happened (parent(s) early deaths for example.

Wonder why he was in a Birmingham home rather that one of the Scottish home...?

All things to be worked out by the look of it.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sancti

Hard to figure out which King Street is being referred to on that shipping manifest. Looking at the 1927 PO directory and the 1901 census, there looks to be a number of King Streets in the general Glasgow area.

Monica

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
It is strange why he was sent aged 15 when he appears to have a brother living in Glasgow

Poor records in Mitchell library may hold more info