Author Topic: Looking for Annie Bowd  (Read 4083 times)

Offline WildColonialGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Annie Bowd
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 06:51 GMT (UK) »
G'day from Australia!

My mothers fathers sideis from Over and Swavesy Cambs. They are (predominately) the Wayman's.

Generally speaking in that area I have managed to trace families back to 1450 where it branches into Bincheno's etc

I still have to fill in many gaps though and this one os bugging me for lack of any detail I can find/

At this point in time I am looking for particulars on ANNIE BOWD who married my Great Great Grandfather WILLIAM JOSEPH WAYMAN. William moved from Over to London and became a Peelers Bobbie (London Met). His son William Joseph Wayman immigrated to Queensland and was a State Trooper and features in Henry Lawsons stories re: Hungerford.

I think Annies Fathers name is Pambie Bowd and thats short (usually) for Ambrose in those times. She was I think born in Swavesy. Definitely she gave birth to my Great Greandfather in London in 1859.

Thats all I know the rest is mystery to us. Please help!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Annie Bowd
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Can you please fill in some gaps?

What was the name of your G-Grandfather born in 1859?
Where was he born?

When did Annie and William get married?

Dates of birth for Annie or William?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline WildColonialGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I have no DOB or marriage dates. Only names.

Assumation: William is born in OVER, Cambs

Annie BOWD in Swavesy. Thats all I have.

My Great Granfathers name is William Joseph Wayman born 1859 Middlesex

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Here's the 1861 census:

RG9/202/150/35
44 Baldwyn St, St Luke, Middlesex

William WAYMAN  Head  29  Police Constable  b. Over, Cambs
Annie WAYMAN  Wife  24  Artificial Florist  b. Over, Cambs
William J WAYMAN  Son  2  b. St Luke, Middlesex
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Baptism 6th February 1859, at St John the Baptist, Hoxton
William Joseph, son of William & Annie Wayman, of Peerless Row, father Police Constable
born 5th January 1859

another son!
Baptism 29th March 1863, at St Mark, Shoreditch
Samuel, son of William & Annie Wayman, of 4 Rodney Street, father Police Constable

Looks like Annie died?

1871 census RG10, 1530, 31, 24
Turn Lane, Over

Weyman, William  Head  M  39  Farmer & Gardener  b Over
Weyman, Alice  Wife  F  31  b Over
Weyman, William J  Son  M  12  b Finsbury, St Lukes, Middlesex
Weyman, Samuel  Son  M  7  b Finsbury, St Lukes
Weyman, Neville N  Son  M  3 months  b Over
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I've done a lot of research on the Bowds. I don't have this Annie, but I do have another Anne Bowd born c1835 in Swavesey, daughter of Palmby and Ann, but she married Jonas Allen in 1857 in Over. Let me do some digging and I'll get back to you.

Palmby or Pamby or Parnbey wasn't a variation on Ambrose with these Bowds - it came from Susanna Parnbey who married John Bowd in 1710

Where did you get Annie's surname from - the birth cert of one of her children?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I can find no trace of this Annie!

She wasn't Ann Bowd, daughter of Pamby, born in Swavesey c1835 as that Ann married Jonas Allen in Over in 1857, and can be traced in censuses. In the one census where your Annie is shown as married to William she gives her birthplace as Over, not Swavesey. I'm not aware of a Bowd family in Over.

I can find no other Ann Bowd that fits with a birth c1836 in 1841 and 1851 censuses. Nor can I find a marriage between William Wayman and Ann Bowd/Bond/Boud on either the GRO index or the Camdex index. The birth certificate of either of their children as found by KGarrad would confirm Annie's maiden name.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has a marriage on 25 Dec 1854 between William Wayman and Ann Wayman at St John the Baptist, Shoreditch. The marriage seems a bit early given that your William and Annie didn't have their apparent first child until 1859, but in 1851 living in St Luke Old St was Ann Wayman 14 artificial florist born Over with stepfather William Bough 45 and his wife Rose Bough 33 born Over. Lots of similarities with the 1861 census William and Annie.

William Bough widower married Rose Wayman spinster at Lambeth on 20 June 1841

You may have gathered that I have doubts about her being Annie Bowd. The above is all speculative, and can only be verified by getting the birth certificates of the children, and the 1854 marriage cert. If you already have one of those certs and the mother's name is Annie Wayman previously Bowd then my hypothesis is sunk!

Freebmd has a death of Anne Wayman in the Sept quarter 1865 in St Luke registration district, the same registration district where William Joseph's and Samuel's births were registered

David

Offline sackville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
G'day from Australia!

My mothers fathers sideis from Over and Swavesy Cambs. They are (predominately) the Wayman's.

Generally speaking in that area I have managed to trace families back to 1450 where it branches into Bincheno's etc

I still have to fill in many gaps though and this one os bugging me for lack of any detail I can find/

At this point in time I am looking for particulars on ANNIE BOWD who married my Great Great Grandfather WILLIAM JOSEPH WAYMAN. William moved from Over to London and became a Peelers Bobbie (London Met). His son William Joseph Wayman immigrated to Queensland and was a State Trooper and features in Henry Lawsons stories re: Hungerford.

I think Annies Fathers name is Pambie Bowd and thats short (usually) for Ambrose in those times. She was I think born in Swavesy. Definitely she gave birth to my Great Greandfather in London in 1859.

Thats all I know the rest is mystery to us. Please help!

Hi, I am a Wayman from Over, Cambridgeshire and related to the Waymans you are researching.  I have done quite a lot of research on my family, and think the reason you are having trouble with Annie Bowd is that she was in fact Annie Wayman.  She lived in London with her mother Rose and stepfather, William Bough.  Annie was illegitimate.  Rose moved to London and lived with her brother, Joseph Wayman, who was a police constable.  In 1851 Rose's half-brother, James Cook, was living with William and Rose, plus William's son and daughter, and Ann Wayman. Rose died in 1877 in London, and William remarried.  Ann Wayman married a cousin, William Wayman, who was the son of Joseph and Hannah Wayman of Over.  I hope this helps with your research.  If you would like more info, please let me know.  Carolyn Redmayne