Author Topic: Look up please Hugh Milmoe 1878  (Read 4734 times)

Offline esteele

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up please Hugh Milmoe 1878
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
 I am interested in Hugh Milmoe born 20 Jan 1878 who had 2 sons Hugh and Patrick.   Patrick spent his later years in Oxfordshire England where my friend, who I am helping to research her family, used to visit him in the 1950’s.      My friend is intending to visit Sligo later this year and would like to have as much information as possible to take with her to the Sligo Registration Offices

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please Hugh Milmoe 1878
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Theres a Hugh Milmoe on 1911 Ireland census

Mary Milmoe 69 head catholic  widow  farmer
Mary Kate Milmoe 35 daughter  catholic
Hugh Milmoe 33 son  catholic  son of farmer
Patrick Milmoe 31 son  catholic   ditto

could this be him in Drumfin Sligo
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Here are the likely BMD Index references for Hugh's birth :

Name: Hugh Milmoe
  Registration district:   Sligo
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1878
  Volume: 2 / Page: 321

you can use these to order a research cert from GRO head-office.

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census for that Milmoe family in Drumfin townland - father's name is Michael :

Milmoe, Drumfin - 1901

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm beginning to think that may be a different Milmoe family listed on the census at Drumfin to the one you are interested in. An extracted birth is listed on FamilySearch in May 1876 for a Hugh Milmoe in Sligo to parents Michael Milmoe and Mary Marren/Murrin. Also listed is a birth for a Mary Kate Milmoe to the same parents in 1875 - seems to match that Drumfin household.

I dont see a Hugh Milmoe birth in the extracted records to match that 1878 BMD Index birth entry posted above

How certain is the date of birth ?
Do you have a marriage cert for Hugh ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 13:27 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 census Michael Milmoe is the head of the 1911 family.and Hugh is 23
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline esteele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the information about the Milmoe's in Drumfin.  I think you are right about whether it is the correct family.   I have been given some more information from family records, but need some substantion from official records.

The date of Hugh Milmoe birth  Jan 1878 is definite.  he had siblings Mary, John, BERNARD, Michael and Catherine.
The parents were Bryan Milmoe  1840 b Sligo and Catherine Cairns (or Kerrins)

BERNARD (the line I am researching)married Mary Mitchell in Glasgow 1903, but name is  now Milmore.

Can anyone help with information about the parents of BERNARD i.e Bryan Milmoe and Catherine Cairns (Kerrins)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
 I have the following notes from many years ago for the family of Bryan Milmoe and Catherine Kerins but they don't include a son called Hugh.

I copied them from the film of the Catholic parish of Kilmorgan and Emlaghfad.

Bryan and Catherine married November 28th 1861 (no other information).

Children were:
Bridget: born Doo(sic) baptised September 1862 (No other information) NB: I believe Doo to have been Doomore in the parish of Kilmorgan.

Mary: born Knockmoynagh baptised 29th December 1864 Sponsored by: John Fehily and Mary Kerins NB: Knockmoynagh is also in the parish of Kilmorgan

Michael: born Doo(more) baptised 22 April 1875 sponsored by John Killeen and Kate McGettrick

That is all the baptisms I noted but at some stage I have added the following which I think I found in the IGI

John: born 26th September 1867
Bernard: born !8th June 1871
Catherine: born 13 March 1880.

My great-grandmother was born Mary Milmoe which also became Milmore after emigrating to England.

J.T.A.

Just checked the IGI. Bernard was actually born 1871, I couldn't read my own writing but I still don't see Hugh. I do however have the baptism of the other Hugh in 1876.

Offline lorraineb1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if this has any connection to my family of Milmoe's(Milmore). My Grandfather was Michael Francis Milmoe son of Hugh Milmoe and Bridget Ellen Milmoe nee House. I know they resided around the Ballymote, & Drumrat areas of County Sligo. Hugh was born around 1876. Their children were: Bernard Joseph, Patrick, Mary Anne, Michael Francis, Elizabeth and Bridget Agnes that I know of. If this is the same family I would be very interested in connecting with others related to them, as I know very little about them or my Grandfather.