Author Topic: Burchill in Skibbereen  (Read 14128 times)

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burchill in Skibbereen
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 00:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry jaymack but I forgot to reply to your other question. I think that your Kate Burchill lived in Pittsburgh around 1870. I am not aware of a Eliza or Lizzy that lived in the US but it is a common name in my family. I guess that it might be possible that it was a first cousin of Hanorah. I know that William (father of my Hanorah) had one brother called Cornelius (whose descendants still live in Bawnishal and Castlehaven). However hearsay tells of two other brothers who were possibly called James and Henry. I don't know what happened to them but it is quite possible that they emigrated to US. This would be really wild speculation though - I don't know for sure that they existed, let alone where they lived. You have given me a lead that I must look at though  :)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi WHL, you seem to be researching some of the same families and places as me.
Burchills are related to me,I believe from Drishane area and from there to the States. He did return and bought a farm at Rineen. My great grandmother Mary Driscoll father William was also from Drishane. Other research is the Bohane's of Killaderry who married Carthy and Hegarty of Laharadane. All these townlands being close to each other in the south west coast of west Cork. Can you make any links here ? 
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline macah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 August 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help with Burchill & O'Driscoll information.

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 August 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Interesting timing as I have been looking at the Burchill side of my family for the first time in a few years. Despite what I have been told I am now 99% sure that the sister of my great gf (Nonie or Norah Leary) married Abraham Burchill and not Samuel.

I have quite a bit on the Leary side but I don't know much more about the Burchill side except what I have been told here. I can see from the census returns that two children Norah and Sam lived in the house with them in 1901 while Ellan and Hannah were also present in 1911. This census notes that Abraham and Norah had 9 children and that 7 of them were still living at this point. I think that we listed 8 here so maybe another died in childbirth. It also means that either Catherine, Mary, Eliza or Abraham had died by 1911

Not much but that is all I know

1901 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Castlehaven_South/Gorteenalomane/1156427/
1911 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Castlehaven_South/Gorteenalomane/442433/

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 August 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Samuel and John are the names I know. John went to the States ,saved and returned to buy a farm in Rineen. Around 1930 he married one of my aunts who was Norah Bohane. I believe the Burchills came from Drishane near Tragumna and Tralispean.
I also know that Mary Driscoll  born 1842 who was the daughter of William Driscoll of Drishane married Pat Hegarty of Laharadane. Pat and Mary Hegarty were the parents of my grandmother Ellen Hegarty born 1877 who married Peter Bohane born 1864 of Killaderry in 1900. All these townlands are tiny and next to each other in the south west coast of Co Cork.Peter Bohane's mother was Hanorah Carthy and his father Michael Bohane.
I am now trying to find who William Driscoll's wife was. As the Castlehaven marriage records are lost, it was pure luck that the Heritage Centre in Skibbereen suggested we check for a marriage for Mary in other churches and up it came !
Any links to these families would be of interest. I was born in the UK but still talk about
 "going home " and return every summer. Do you think you may be linked to my families
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline jaymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help with Burchill & O'Driscoll information.
I'd be interested in whatever information you have. Thank you.

John McDonnell
McDonnell, Farrell, Concannon, Burchill, Flavell, Marx

Offline Christine Readwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, came across your post regarding Michael Burchill, your great grandfather. I believe he is my great great grandfather (my Mum's great grandfather). Was he married to a Sarah Hegarty ? If so, my mum's grandmother was their daughter Elizabeth Birchill. Please get in touch if we share this relative. We have many photos of the farm and the family.

Hi,
I've done some research and have deduces that infact your Kate and Samuel, are v probably children of Samuel Burchill and Mary Driscoll, my great great grand parents. Their younger son Michael ( my great granddad) inherited the farm, which is still in the family

Offline macah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 February 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
The Michael Burchill referenced in the earlier posts was married to Margaret Collins.

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, came across your post regarding Michael Burchill, your great grandfather. I believe he is my great great grandfather (my Mum's great grandfather). Was he married to a Sarah Hegarty ? If so, my mum's grandmother was their daughter Elizabeth Birchill. Please get in touch if we share this relative. We have many photos of the farm and the family.

Hi. I think that your family is a different Burchill family that came from further west in Schull in County Cork. This may be the baptism record that refers to your relation
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03280/2202049.pdf