Author Topic: Burchill in Skibbereen  (Read 14064 times)

Offline emm02382

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burchill in Skibbereen
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 30 March 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello! I'm new to this site but I am looking for information on James Burchill who was married to Bridget Bowen (Bohane?). I believe he was born around 1845 and may be the son of Arthur and Norry McCarthy, but I am not positive. They immigrated to Boston and had a daughter Helena in 1878. Any information or photos would really be appreciated!

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there, came across your post regarding Michael Burchill, your great grandfather. I believe he is my great great grandfather (my Mum's great grandfather). Was he married to a Sarah Hegarty ? If so, my mum's grandmother was their daughter Elizabeth Birchill. Please get in touch if we share this relative. We have many photos of the farm and the family.

Hi, just doing some research on my Burchill family and saw your post. My 3rd great grandfather was Michael Burchill married to Sarah Hegarty! I am related to their daughter Ann Burchill my 2nd great grandmother sister to Elizabeth. Would love to hear from you, Barbara
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline Christine Readwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 01 October 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
BBAXTER - my mother knows a lot more than I do and when she was a child, her family used to travel to Ireland to visit the family there. All I know is that two of the sisters (one of which was my great great grandmother Elizabeth), married two brothers (last name Nicholls) who were English stone masons working on building the fastnet rock lighthouse. When their job was done, my great grandfather returned to England with Elizabeth to build housing for the coal miners in Wales. The other brother and Elizabeth's sister stayed in Ireland. Such an interesting story that two brothers married two sisters !! Wondering if your ancestor Ann was the other sister ?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 October 17 00:54 BST (UK) »

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
BBAXTER - my mother knows a lot more than I do and when she was a child, her family used to travel to Ireland to visit the family there. All I know is that two of the sisters (one of which was my great great grandmother Elizabeth), married two brothers (last name Nicholls) who were English stone masons working on building the fastnet rock lighthouse. When their job was done, my great grandfather returned to England with Elizabeth to build housing for the coal miners in Wales. The other brother and Elizabeth's sister stayed in Ireland. Such an interesting story that two brothers married two sisters !! Wondering if your ancestor Ann was the other sister ?

Hi Christine,

Thank you very much for this information! Yes my gg grandmother Ann Burchill is sister to your gg grandmother Elizabeth. We are cousins of some sort-will have to figure it out.

Ann Burchill married William Wilkinson. William was a policeman and they stayed in Ireland and had 6 children including my great grandmother Sarah Ann Wilkinson. Sarah married and left with her family for the United States where I am located.

I was lucky enough to make it to Ireland this summer and saw the Fastnet lighthouse from the mainland so thank you for the story of the brothers who worked as stonemasons. This is great information and I have added it to my tree online. Hopefully we can stay in touch-would love to share my tree with you and compare notes. Thank you, with much appreciation, Barbara

Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Your information really helped to put the story together. Michael Burchill and Sarah Hegarty had 9 children with 6 living in 1911 Irish Census.

The 6 Burchill children that I know of: John, Anne, William, Elizabeth,Thomas and Sarah. William died in 1906 so there is one missing. Possibly a brother George? I don't know for sure.

Anne and Sarah Nicholls are in the 1911 Wales census attached below. The interesting thing is my great grandmother Sarah Ann Miller (Anne Burchills daughter) is living around the corner from her 2 aunts! Her husband John Miller is listed as building contractor and most likely working with the 2 Nicholls brothers! So thank you again and maybe we can figure out the other siblings. Best, Barbara