Author Topic: Burchill in Skibbereen  (Read 14013 times)

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burchill in Skibbereen
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 May 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi macah, do you have any information on where Honorah O'Leary came from or any of her family members

Offline jaymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 May 13 23:54 BST (UK) »
Cazza, thanks for your reply but I think we're from two different branches of the family. My Kate Burchill's father was Abram (Abraham) Burchill, and her mother was Hanora O'Leary. Abraham had a brother Samuel who owned the farm next door, and I think that's the one you may be referring to.
McDonnell, Farrell, Concannon, Burchill, Flavell, Marx

Offline jaymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 May 13 22:51 BST (UK) »
WHL you asked where Honorah Leary's family came from. I will look at my research, but I found Census records that they were living in Swansea, Wales in 1851. Her parents were Denis and Ellen Leary. She was born in County Cork in 1834. Don't know where they originated in Ireland, or how she ended up marrying Abraham Burchill and settling in Skibbereen.

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 May 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi jaymack,

Thanks for that. It sounds like I am on the wrong track. I am told that the sister of my great grandfather married a Burchill from elsewhere in Castlehaven and i noticed that some of the sponsors of the children of Abraham and Norah matched the names on my family tree. Must be  just coincidence as my family line were all from Bawnishal and I have never heard of any links to Wales. Thanks anyway - the search continues :)

WHL

Offline macah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 May 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi macah, do you have any information on where Honorah O'Leary came from or any of her family members
   You have a lot of information on the O'Learys of Bawnishall.   Hanora married Abraham Burchill of Gorteenalomane, Skibbereen and lived at that address.   One of that family did marry O'Driscoll of Drishane in the USA.  The last Burchill who lived there was Hanora (Nonie) who died in the 1930s/40s.  I know the lady from Oldcourt you refer to.   My ggrandmother was Eliza Burchill, sister to Abraham who married Honora O'Leary.

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
WHL you asked where Honorah Leary's family came from. I will look at my research, but I found Census records that they were living in Swansea, Wales in 1851. Her parents were Denis and Ellen Leary. She was born in County Cork in 1834. Don't know where they originated in Ireland, or how she ended up marrying Abraham Burchill and settling in Skibbereen.

Hi jaymack. You mentioned that you would check your research on Honorah Leary. Could you do this as, from discussions with macah, it seems possible that she came from Castlehaven and was the sister of my great-grandfather

Offline jaymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
WHL what I have are records I found through Ancestry.com, and some of that is from other people's family trees. I have her birth in 1834 in County Cork. Parents were Denis and Ellen Leary. Siblings were Denis, John, Margaret, Daniel and Frederick. They show up in the 1851 Wales Census in Swansea. I have her marriage in 1856 in Glamorgan, Wales. I don't know how she then ended up back in Cork, but her children were born there. I have her death in 1911 in Cork.

Offline jaymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 22:39 BST (UK) »
WHL you said Hanorah was the sister of your great grandfather. What was his name? Also, I have always been curious because when my great grandmother Kate Burchill came to the U.S. the family lore is that she lived for a time near Pittsburgh with a relative. I found an Eliza, or Lizzy, Leary who was living there as a servant at that time, and she could be a cousin to Kate Burchill on her mother Hanorah's side.

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks jaymack. I see the Hanora Leary marriage in Glamorgan in 1856 but is it to Abraham Burchill. I can't see a record on ancestry.com for somebody with his name getting married in Glamorgan at that time.

My connection is possibly somewhat tenuous. I have collected family history in my family from the older generation but I have subsequently proved much of it. I was given names for three of my great grandfather's four siblings and I found later that these were correct. My source did not have a name for the remaining sibling but said that she married a Burchill from the Skibbereen area. I found the marriage of Abraham Burchill and Honorah Leary and then noted that some of their children had baptism sponsors that matched names on my family tree and also that my grandfather's two sisters had Burchill sponsors (and one was called Abraham). I was also told by this source that one of the children married an O'Driscoll from Drishane and macah has also heard this story about this Burchill family. Finally macah was told in the past that there was a relationship to my O'Leary family but didn't know where it came from.

Only problem is that my Hanorah Leary was the daughter of William and Mary Leary (formerly Sullivan) from Bawnishal in Castlehaven. Her brother, Arthur, was my great grandfather and he inherited the family farm. There were two other sisters, Mary and Catherine (Kate) who married two McCarthy brothers from Toe Head and another brother, Paddy, was said to be a bit wild and went to the US and nothing more was heard of him.

It's not proof but it seems possible that this Hanorah Leary would be one of my two missing links - that would leave me with just Paddy to track down....