Author Topic: How to find my brother's grave?  (Read 7548 times)

Offline 9366kathleen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find my brother's grave?
« on: Sunday 26 February 12 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, just found this site and not sure if I am posting this on the correct thread. Both my parents are dead. I know I had a young brother who was killed in very tragic circumstances when he was 2.5 years old (before I was born). I was never taken to his grave. I would love to go to see it now. I believe he is buried in The Glasgow Neocropolis Cemetry (but not completely sure). How do I find out where his grave is and does it cost a lot of money to do this? Thank you.  Kathleen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: How to find my brother's grave?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen

Welcome to RootsChat.

You would need to contact the office of the Cemeteries & Crematoria  Registrar, see contact details here:

www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/BirthDeathMarriage_Citizenship/Death/Burialgrounds/

As you mention, there are charges for this type of search normally from this office (not all Councils make charges for this type of info/search). I don't know what the current charge is but last time I saw it mentioned here, it was eye watering (over £60, but can't remember the exact amount).

Do you have your brother's death certificate with his exact date of death? Without going into his cause of death, you may find something in the newspapers, at least relating to his death notice perhaps?

See Glasgow Herald here http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC - simply add year for search to see what issues may be available (insert a year in 'Date' box).

Also, Evening Times - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C

You need to check each individual issue aroun the dates you think are relevant.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 12 16:49 GMT (UK) »
i emailed my local council and they found my g grandmother in unmarked grave for free, and even agreed to meet me there to show me where she was, no cost

hope it works out

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Although your parents are no longer alive, do you have any aunts or uncles who could tell you? Do you know where your grandparents are buried as it might be that your brother was put into a family lair?

Graham

Offline 9366kathleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone so much.  Really impressed with this fantastic site. Unfortunately don't have any family left at all apart from a younger brother. My grandparents were all cremated so no graves for them. Def cannot afford the £60.00+ so will just need to see what else I can do but once again, thank you to those who have taken the time out to reply.  P.S.  my brother was killed when he fell out the door of the taxi he was travelling in (my father's). He died instantly after being struck by another car. That was in 1954.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his death cert, Kathleen, with the exact date of death? You may well remember the date without reference to his death entry?

We are all happy to check newspapers etc with you to see if we can find anything.

I think also from what I have read that the steep charge often quoted for Glasgow Council is for the type of searches where people approach them with little to no info. This may be not the case if you have exact details.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 9366kathleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,  no don't have death certificate and never ever saw it. My mum & dad never spoke about it. I know somewhere in my dad's things I still have his bible and I remember seeing newspaper cuttings regarding the accident. Don't know if the date is on them tho cause just little bits of paper. I will look these out. Only know that he died sometime in the summer months cause they were going on a day trip to Ayr and it happened on the old Ayr/Glasgow Road.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:02 GMT (UK) »
What was your brother's name?

Offline ferguka1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen

Do you live in Glasgow? If so can you get to the Mitchell Library? They have micro-fiche on old graves and they will show you how to look through the records. If you know the cemetery
and roughly the month then it shouldn't take too long. There is no cost for this and no need to make an appointment. Good Luck.