Author Topic: monmouthshire burials  (Read 5791 times)

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
monmouthshire burials
« on: Sunday 26 February 12 19:03 GMT (UK) »
THOMAS THOMAS & ELLEN THOMAS - MONMOUTHSHIRE BOARD

I am trying to locate the death of my Great Grandparents, last known address 29 William St, Trethomas, believed to have been buried in St Johns, machen.

Electoral Roll from 1918 to 1929 indicates they were still alive at this time. Addresss 29 william street, trethomas.

Unfortunately no middle names. I believe them to have deceased before 1941 but not 100% sure. Their birth would be approximately 1867. Daughter Annie Ellen Thomas (married name Phillips. Husband: William Phillips) may be informants

I have had someone on this site that has been very helpful in search for headstones for this family in various cemetries but unfortunately no success.  Possibility in unmarked grave.

If anyone can do a look up in qwent records for me that would be greatly appreciated or has any any hints.

Also does anyone know of any funeral parlors close to trethomas that was around in 1930's.
Thank you
 rvb

I have now located the deaths of my great grandparents:- 

Ellen Thomas died at 12 edwards terrace, abdertridw, nr caerphilly on 15.9.1934.
My grandad is showing up as the informant at Ellens death.

Thomas Thomas died at 46, Caerbragdy, caerphilly, glamorganshire  on 4/1/1936.
The informant in this case was a Mary Jane Edwards (not known to the family).

The funeral parlor could not give me any additional information and they were both buried in penyrheol cemetry.
Names: Thomas, Phillips
Areas: Senghenydd, Abertridwr, Trethomas, Caerau, Glamorganshire
Llandilofawr, Carmarthenshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: monmouthshire burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Freebmd death transcription coverage is up to the late 1940's so have you checked for a death to establish the year in which they each died

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching  for their deaths on line for several years but recently I believe  from my searches that they died approx 1935 & 1936.  The problem is that I dont live in wales and find it difficult to get to gwent office to check the information.

My elder sister indicates that she cannot recall them at all and she was born in 1941.  The remainder of the family who are elderly say they cannot remember them very well and have never been interested in the family tree.

hope this answers your question and if I can help any further with information please do not hesitate to contact me.

thank you   rvb.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Also posted on but advised to post on this board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,583342.msg4347894.html#msg4347894

Until you are able to find a death registration on freebmd - it's impossible to find a burial as their names were not uncommon

Electoral Roll from 1918 to 1929 indicates they were still alive at this time. Addresss 29 william street, trethomas.

Does that specifically mean they were alive in 1929 or just sometime between 1918-1929?

Have you checked the electoral rolls from 1930 for that address

They may have moved to a different district of Monmouthshire as they got older but it's impossible to say.

As you can see on your previous post - no trace was found in some of the local graveyards.  Did you follow up on the 2 deaths you found?

Freebmd is really the only starting point here and looking at one of the replies - if they stayed in Trethomas you are looking for NewportM RD up to 1936 and then Caerleon after that
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 12 01:05 GMT (UK) »
They were alive at 29 william street in 1929.  The electoral roll shows this.  Also Llewellyn Thomas -  Annie ellens thomas first born child died in may of that year and thomas thomas was present at the time of death. 
The two deaths I have found I shall be checking this week with GRO to see if they can help.  The only thing is I have no family details other than my grandmother the thomas daughter and the address to go by.    I do not believe they moved to a different area as far as I am aware and have no documentation to confirm or deny this. 
I have not checked the 1930 electoral roll as I do not live in wales so difficult for me to access qwent records.  So if any one out there can do a look up for me that would help as these records arnt on line.

thank you   ruth

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 12 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked freebmd from 1929 onwards - as mentioned earlier - coverage is to the late 1940's

www.freebmd.org.uk

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi as you mentioned the fact of the free bdm I did a check through their website but there is such a huge amount of thomas thomas' I would not have a clue.  Not sure where to go from here.   I was hoping the death of thomas thomas would link directly with my grandmother whose birth certificate I am searching for also.  This would then lead me to her mothers full name.   I feel I need to get in touch with the GRO tomorrow as they have already done several searches both on annie ellen thomas (my grandmother) and Thomas Thomas her father.

If you do think of anything please do not hesitate to contact me.

thank you  rvb

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Although there are a lot of entries of that name - have you narrowed it down by looking at their ages at the time of death

Have you further narrowed it down by confining any search to the 2 registration districts mentioned?

I was hoping the death of thomas thomas would link directly with my grandmother whose birth certificate I am searching for also

A death cert will not help you find that type of info

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
To update you I have now obtained the birth certificate of Annie ellens son Lewellyn Thomas born 30/9/1915 registration district llandilofawr, county of carmarthen. Born at 18 harrold street, tir-y-dale, ammanaford. Annies address is showing as 39 Margam street, caerau, glamorgan. The childs death was at 29 william street, trethomas, glamorgan in 1929.  Thomas thomas  was present at death and was the informant.
Annie married her first husband in 7/5/1916 in caerau, glamorgan and her address is showing up as 36 margam street, caerau. Her husband Ernest Edwins lived at ivira street, ammanaford.  Ernest died in 1917 in france.  Annie ellen then remarried william phillips in 1921.  I need to find out annies mothers single name we know it was ellen thomas on the electoral roll but full names are not shown.  I dont know where in wales annie was born so cant go back to school records.  If we had access to the later electoral rolls on line that may be of help but I dont have that information to hand.  I thought that if I could trace thomas thomas and his wife ellen I might have a better insight into it. 
Any suggestions?  thanks rvb