Author Topic: monmouthshire burials  (Read 5823 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: monmouthshire burials
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Annie married her first husband in 7/5/1916 in caerau, glamorgan

How old was she when she married or do you have other info re: her birthyear?

If she married in 1916 - she was more than likely born before the 1901 census so have you checked that census for her or checked the 1911 census

Freebmd only has 2 possible births for that name

1894 - Neath
1898 Aberayron
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
If Thomas Thomas was shown as present at the death of Annie's son he presumably  reported the death

Can you confirm he is shown as Llewellyn's grandfather
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1901 entry for an Ellen Ann Thomas aged 5  b ? Aushire Glamorgan parents Thomas R or N or M Thomas aged 35 and Ellen aged 36

Family were in Flint in 1901

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 01:04 GMT (UK) »
On the first marriage certificate in 1916 it indicates Annie ellen was 20 years of age which makes it 1896.  On her second marriage certificate in 1921 it states she was 29 which makes it  1892.

Yes I have searched the 1911 census and did locate one which indicated the family had been married for 22 years and had 8 children but only annie ellen was still alive.  I eliminated this one as one of my uncles indicated there was more siblings and he could recall annies sister who lived in yorkshire. (not sure of the acuracy)

This is the census information
Annie Eleen Thomas
Mother:
Ellen Thomas

Father:
Thomas Thomas

Birth:

abt 1896 - Cefn, Brecknockshire, Wales

The aushire one is a possibility.  I have no information as where the family lived prior to 1916 so have no details to confirm or deny.  I have kept this one in my file for future reference.
Llewelyns death certificate states son of annie ellen thomas late edwins now wife of william henry phillips coal miner (ripper). Informant: the mark of thomas thomas grandfather present at the death at 29 williams street, trethomas, bedwas.  Died of acute bronchopneumonia.

I can get the neath birth checked out again by GRO but dont have the 1898 one so can look a little further into that.

I hope I have answered all your questions but it you think of anything else please let me know.
Thank you for your help you are certainly making me think as I feel I may have been looking at it from the wrong angle.

thanks again  rvb

Residence:

2 Apr 1911 - Vaynor, Glamorgan, Wales
Names: Thomas, Phillips
Areas: Senghenydd, Abertridwr, Trethomas, Caerau, Glamorganshire
Llandilofawr, Carmarthenshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 01:39 GMT (UK) »
That is the same family I mentioned earlier - living in Flintshire.  Parents birthyear and birthplaces match but unfortunately there is a big black mark over Thomas's occ so difficult to compare

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
1901 entry mentioned
Ucha Voel, Dyserth, Flintshire RG12/5234 folio 54 pg 23
Thomas R Thomas head mar 35 lime quarryman b. Caernarvonshire, Llanidan
Ellen wife 36 b. Denbighshire, Llanddewi
Ellen Ann dau 5 b. Glamorganshire
the transcription shows Aushire, the census itself does not.

birth reg
Ellen Ann Thomas march qtr 1896 Pontypridd vol 11a pg 483

edit to correct typo
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
the transcription shows Aushire, the census itself does not

That's correct - When I first looked at the image - it seemed to say Glamorgan  Aushire hence my question mark - looking at it again - it actually says Glamorganshire!! 

rvb - I suspect you have already seen that entry as a Ruth Bailey has posted a comment in 2011 asking what Thomas's occ was

Offline fairlane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 May 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have checked this birth which Osprey found with GRO?

Ellen Ann Thomas march qtr 1896 Pontypridd vol 11a pg 483

The reason I ask is because you have both the 1901 and 1911 census for this family - comparing them 1901 is "Ellen Ann" and 1911 is "Annie Ellen" - year of birth fits in with age at first marriage and probable death year -  Thomas & Ellen came from North Wales and spoke both Welsh and English - there do seem to be lots of bits which match up.

Good luck, Fairlane
Edwards - Cheshire/Denbighshire
Dale, Lloyd, Potts, Vaughan - Cheshire
Humpherson - Shropshire
Ludlam - Yorkshire/Lancashire
Beasley - Buckinghamshire
Dick, Laird, Lambie, McInnes, McKechnie, Robertson, Semple - Lanark/Renfrew
Jordan - Drogheda
Maddison, Thirlwell, Nevin- Co. Durham/Northumberland
Walker - Yorkshire/Notts;
Jackson - Westmorland

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 May 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nice to hear from you.  Since I have placed this item on the website I have added more information to my tree.
1.  I have my grans (annie ellen thomas) death certificate which indicates her birth date 23.12.1897 and she was born in Merthyr, glamorgan. (not sure if this is merthyr tidfil. ) Her name on it is Anne Ellen.  The informant is my uncle so I know that is correct.

2. I have my great grandmothers death certificate showing her name as Ellen Thomas (no maiden name mentioned on it.)  States wife of thomas thomas - coal hewer and informant w h phillips which is my grandfather.  Ellen was 71 at her death and lived at edwards terrace, abertridwr.  (this address ties in with what the family have indicated to me).
3. I am currently waiting on thomas thomas death certificate to see if that shows anything but the bereavement services say that thomas died 04/01/1936 at 46 Caerbragdy, Caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales.

4.  I  do believe I now have the certificate you are talking about which osprey mentioned I have received it today which shows ann ellen,DOB: 17.3.1896,  father thomas thomas and mother ellen thomas formerly thomas. Residence: 53 oxford street, ystradyfodwg, glamorgan (any ideas where this is as it does not come up when I google it?)  It states the father is a colliery haulier.
I have not been able to find the marriage of this couple though.

So I am trying to delve through this information as I am afraid I could easily go in the wrong direction.

Any help would be appreciated and I take your comments on board and I appreciate that as it makes me feel more confident that I am on track with the information about the family.

thank you   ruth
Names: Thomas, Phillips
Areas: Senghenydd, Abertridwr, Trethomas, Caerau, Glamorganshire
Llandilofawr, Carmarthenshire