Author Topic: Richard Bruce  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Bruce
« on: Monday 27 February 12 05:38 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor was Richard Bruce born some time 1811 to 1813.  I had always believed born Renfrewshire but it has just been brought to my attention by another researcher that there is reference to him being "of Ayrshire".  He married Maria Parkinson (father thought to be John Parkinson) place and date of marriage not known.  They had a daughter Margaret born 1829 or 1830  Richard enlisted with the 11th Regt Devonshire Guards at Paisley in 1831 and from that point on travelled with the regiment until his discharge in Sydney in 1849 and he died in 1854. Other children were Maria, Ruth, Richard Hamilton and Elizabeth Jane.  Margaret was left behind in Ireland, the other children came with their parents and married and settled in Australia. The name Hamilton has been passed down the family line as an additional middle name.  I have not yet done any serious searching for information in Ayrshire and am making this post on the off-chance I might strike it lucky and find someone who can help please with any information about the Ayrshire Bruce or Parkinson families.    Thank you, Jennifer

I had wonderful help recently on this forum when I was trying to find out the fate of the child Margaret left in Ireland - it looked like it was going to be impossible but hallelujah!  A descendant of that child read my post and responded. 

Offline ChrisR30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bruce
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Janzjjj,

Richard Bruce is my ancestor too (great, great grandfather). I searched the England and Wales Census of 1841 on Family Search and found that Richard, Maria and 2 children Ruth & Maria both aged 9 were living in Stoke Damerel Devon. The transcript says that they were all born in Ireland. I haven't searched there for birth records as yet. Hope that helps.

Chris R

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 17 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris - another cousin!    I have much information about the family and would be really happy to share.   My line of descent is through the daughter of Richard and Maria, Elizabeth, who was born after the 1841 census.  Elizabeth married Joseph Phillips (Blacksmith of Waterloo, S.A.) and their daughter, Annie Maria, married Robert Holland.   In turn, their daughter, Olive, was my grandmother.  I'd be very interested to know your line of descent if you are happy with that?   My paternal uncle, like you, is a great great grandson of Richard Bruce, and he has done the Ancestry Autosomal DNA test. 

The Stoke Demerel census entry does pose some questions and if you are interested I can go into detail. 

I have some baptism dates for the first three girls, a birth certificate for Elizabeth, a baptism and burial entry for the first Richard Hamilton Bruce but nothing for the second (surviving) Richard Hamilton Bruce. 

A small number of descendants have been working on this family for many years, and a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh way of looking at things might be very helpful (please)!    Jennifer

Offline ChrisR30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

Nice to meet you. My line is through Eleine Bruce (my grandmother) who was a daughter from Richard Hamilton Bruce's 3rd marriage to Hannah Jane Prior. I've only just started concentrating on this line so I don't think I can contribute much just yet. Still, one never knows (I've been busy concentrating on my father's paternal line. As I've reached a dead-end there for the moment, I am turning my mind to the Bruce clan).
The Prior family has already been well researched and published. So I have been primarily delving into the life and times of my grandmother and grandfather from South Australia to Broken Hill and surrounds in New South Wales. How they arrived there, where they lived and worked, likes and dislikes etc etc. Of course this has opened the door to Richard Hamilton Bruce's arrival in Australia with his family.
Yes, I would very much like to share details and findings of that ancestral line, including sharing of evidence material. On that note, is there some doubt about the information in the 1841 Census?

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 October 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
And nice to meet you in turn.  My focus lately has been chasing the records in Derryaghy in Ireland which is where Maria comes from and where the first three children (Margaret, Maria and Bruce) were baptized.  Richard Hamilton Bruce poses an interesting problem in that his birth date is in question.  I discovered that he was the second Richard Hamilton Bruce born to Richard and Maria (the first having died) and that it is all but impossible for him to have been born on the date shown in records such as his obituary. The conclusion reached is that he was actually born a year later, in 1843. I and others have been unsuccessful in finding his baptism and/or civil registration in Northampton.  There is a possibility that he was born somewhere other than Northampton but I have not pursued this.  Richard was recruiting for his regiment and moving from place to place so it is quite possible that recollections could have been faulty.  This might be something you could help us with?  If you would like a copy of my notes about RH's birth please contact me so I can send them by email.  There is so much to share and it would probably be better that I not bombard you with too much in one go.    Jennifer

Offline ChrisR30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
It would be best if I did get my head around the dilemma of Richard Hamilton Bruce's birth date and location before delving further.
I am new to this RootsChat forum, so I'm not sure about where we are...public or private chat area?, nor about the protocols of where we are permitted to attach things or provide our personal contact details etc. In any event,
Hope this is OK. Chris R 

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chris, I'll send you an email so we are on each other's radar.  Jennifer

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Chris, Please do not post your email address publicly as this is how spammers pick up on your details. You are area able to post this information (should you wish) by PM.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk