Author Topic: MI's for Old Deer cemetery  (Read 8929 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Old Deer cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
What was his exact address when he died? Was it in Old Deer? Would the family have been rich enough to afford a headstone?
flst 
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
What was his exact address when he died? Was it in Old Deer? Would the family have been rich enough to afford a headstone?
flst 
I think I can now answer this myself! Having found the family in the 1851 census, I then went onto scotlandspeople & did a free search of the wills & inventories indices for an Alexander Keith. I'm pleased to say that both Alexanders had an inventory. The first one had a date of 26 August 1837, (which I think was the date it was lodged).Alexander was residing at Nether Kinknockie. The next one was lodged 5 September 1856. This Alexander was a farmer at Nether Kinknockie.He also had a will. these can be purchsed & downloaded from the site if wished.
I am fairly sure that there will be a headstone for these Keiths.I think it'll most likely be in the Old Deer cemetery.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you fist.  I've never used the will & inventories section of S.P. as I've never educated myself on it's significance or meaning.  You are correct that Alex. Jr. lived at Nether Kinknockie (I can only find Knockie on a map, but assume it is the same area).  With your advice I will now find out what the wills & testiments has to offer.  Does it list the children of the deceased?

Would you be so kind as to tell me if you have an Alexander or Ann Watt in the New Deer M.I.'s?  Their date of birth would be approx.  1766.  This was a large family and I am trying to sort them out. :)

Mary
Mather, Bell, Millar, Binnie, Lauder, Hunter, Cranston

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There are 14 Watt headstones in the New Deer kirkyard. None of them are the 2 you're looking for  :(
There is no way of telling what information you'll get in an inventory or will. I have had a successful result with one of my ancestor's wills. He died before 1841 & in it he named his children & where they were living at the time of making his will.This information was a great help to me in locating them in the censuses. It was especially useful in tracing his daughters as I found out their married names! The inventories can make interesting reading too.They are mainly a valuation of the deceased's moveable property. 
Regards,
flst

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
More good advice fist!  I purchased the will of Alex. Keith d. 1837 and found all 13 children listed, including 2 I didn't know about!  It also listed the husbands of his daughters who along with his oldest son (left in Scotland) were the executors.  It did not mention his wife, so I can assume she predeceased him.  It also gave the son-in-law's occupations and where they resided.  Very useful!   ;D

Thank you very much for your help.  I await the New Deer M.I. publication!

Mary

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
So pleased for you! If you use google maps, key in Ardallie, when that appears on the screen look carefully & you should find Kinknockie & Nether Kinknockie on it. Ardallie is the name of the district that these farms are in. I also saw a photo of Nether Kinknockie farmhouse on several websites as it had been up for sale. Another website to check out is www.geograph.org.uk.There is one photo of Kinknockie. There are also photos of other places nearby. It gives you an idea of what the area's like.
The first reply you received mentioned the Aberdeen & North East Family History Society. You could try contacting them & asking them to do a lookup in the OLD DEER M.I.'s for you.
  I await the New Deer M.I. publication!

Mary
Note, not NEW DEER!
flst :)

Offline Mikao

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 December 17 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello MaryS,
If you’re still looking for Old Deer info on the Keith family, I visited there in July looking for my Keith ancestors.  I have photos and video of the Keith headstones. 

Michelle

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
That would be wonderful!  Thank you!

Offline lynne_uk21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 September 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look on familysearch.org and found an entry for a James Keith christening 11 Oct 1816 Old Deer Parents: Catherine Watt b.1785 & Alexander Keith b. 27 April 1780  Old Deer d.1833 Kinknockie Old Deer. Their daughter Helen Keith b.15 Oct 1830 d. 3 Feb 1906 married 13 June 1859 Ontario Canada she married for a 2nd time here is the link for her grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/88303439/helen-hamilton.
she seems to have a large family and someone left details of her 1st  husband maybe they can help?.