Author Topic: CEF Military Lookup- Advice Please  (Read 1573 times)

Offline silverpenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CEF Military Lookup- Advice Please
« on: Tuesday 28 February 12 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I am considering obtaining a copy of my gt gt grandfathers Canadian Expeditionary Force service records for the First World War. However there is the problem in that I live in the UK.

I have viewed the advice on the Canadian National Archives and bearing in mind I have no idea how many pages of information may be involved, they suggest I employ a local researcher to do this for me. I'm afraid I have no idea where to start.

Can someone please give me an idea

1. How i get in touch with local researchers?
2. What I should expect to pay for this service? (sorry to have to ask but its important as I have limited funds)

Thanks

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CEF Military Lookup- Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I have purchased 3 military files from LAC at a cost including shipping within Canada of $66. (Canadian)

Most files will contain approximately 25 pages but some will have considerably more pages and there is no way to know.

The information in the files will contain the attestation papers, next of kin, pay documents and allocations of pay to next of kin, medical records, embarkation records to England and debarkation back to Canada, transfers within battalions and regiments including the dates, where the destination is on return to Canada and sometimes other inforamtion.  Depending on what information you are looking for, these files can be very informative. If the soldier was injured, all details of his injury will be included in the medical records such as the date, the injuries, how long in field hospitals and which hospitals he recuperated in. The medical files are very complete with lots of detail. If you are trying to find which battles he was involved in the information on when, where and which regiments/battalions will make it easier to find the war diaries at LAC. The information in the files regarding transfers is also very detailed including almost to the hour when a soldier left one battalion and arrived at another.

I would suggest that you list the name, Regimental # and details that you are searching for and someone on rootschat may be able to find more information for you.

I have found the information to be very valuable and if you decide that you want the military file, I would suggest that you use the online secure site with a credit card and order the file. I don't think that you would find a researcher cheaper than ordering the file yourself.

Let us know if we can help with your search.
Val

Offline silverpenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CEF Military Lookup- Advice Plea.se
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val

Thanks for all the information.  Much appreciated. 

I may be mistaken but I thought the last time I visited the Canada Archives site it said I had to download an information sheet, complete it and return by fax.  Am I possibly in the wrong place?  Could just send me the link?

Thank you

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html
To order the files, you need the soldiers name, Regimental # and Reference Information from the Attestation Papers.

either go to Search and enter the soldiers name/regimental # or under the search help section, scroll down to
"How to Consult a File On-site or Order a Copy of the Complete File"

There are different price options for receiving the file by mail as well as the way in which you want the file sent.
If you have any trouble with the site, let me know.

Val

Offline silverpenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I have submitted a request for a digital copy on DVD.  Fingers crossed I have done everything right.

Apparently they will be calling me back to confirm credit card details...............but hopefully not at 3AM in the morning.  LOL

Once again many thanks for your assistance.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Let us know how you make out and if we can be of further assistance.
Val

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This will explain all of the costs per page or per image.  You can click on each type of reproduction (photocopy, digital image on DVD, video etc.) to see the costs.   Photocopy is the cheapest by far - expecially when several pages are requested (as in a military file).

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/copies/005010-5020-e.html?PHPSESSID=b60i9k2ckuus3tq4k00ggircc3

RK :)