Author Topic: Archibald Ramage & Smithson Peverall  (Read 33968 times)

Offline Empty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Ramage & Smithson Peverall
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 April 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
Okay,
back to the very elusive Archie.
Had a look at Scotlandspeople today. There are indeed two Archibald Ramages and here are their details -
1. Parish of Eastwood, Lanarkshire. As written " Archibald.....* to William Rammage and Elizabeth Jack in Darnley was born the 9 of October 1712 and baptised the 12 of this same instant by Mr John Smith." I couldn't read the bit marked .....* but it looked like "sanslouth"  - I wondered if it meant outside of marriage because the next one specifies a spouse.

2. Parish of Duddingston, Midlothian. As written " August 11. This day James Rammage and Margaret Turrence his spouse had a son baptised named Archibald. There were witnesses Archibald Duncan and Andrew (illegible)."

My concern with either of these being 'our' Archie lies in the Scottis naming system and none of the above parents seem to have been remembered by Archie in his naming of his own children. Evene where children died, their names were used again if it was a parent/ grandparent's name.
Onwards and upwards....
Empty
Ramage: Wiseman: Taylor: Pierce: McElwee: Brown: Hart

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 April 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
Think I'll leave poor Archie in peace....... the only three children I have for him are  John , Mary & Henry.

You've tried Empty .....thanks... i think some people aren't meant to be found.... although they must be related somehow ... with a name like Archibald Ramage ...

My head's buzzing ........ been trying to sort out my early Peart family in Stanhope. ... hundreds of them.!!!

Jean

Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 April 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi know the exact Scottish naming pattern. I'll explain mine with my Stewarts.

This also applied to Scots people living in England, not just Scots in Scotland. If you have a Scottish ancestor living in England, then they quite often still used the naming pattern.

My ancestor John Stewart died in 1815 aged 80 (or thereabouts), and he had his last 3 children John, William and Mary in 1798, 1800 and 1803, and because of Durham PRs being quite detailed from 1798 to 1813, they all state that he was a native of Selkirk in Scotland.

His first children in 1790, 1793 and 1795 were called James, Isabella and another Isabella after the first one died. He had a son James in 1777 by his previous wife as he must have died. His 1st wife is  as yet unidentified as before 1798 only the fathers name was given in many Durham parishes.

I knew that John was born c1735 in Selkirk or Selkirkshire. I then consulted Selkirk parish records on the IGI and found a John Stewart born in 1738 the son of James and Isabella Stewart.

I think that because of the naming pattern, the John Stewart born in 1738 is my ancestor if his first two children were named after his parents. Also, Selkirkshire is a remotely populated Scottish county, mainly of sheep fields. Most Stewarts came from the Highlands so maybe the Stewarts originated there originally pre 1730ish before moving to Selkirk.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 April 08 19:39 BST (UK) »
Gosh Ben..... it's hard work isn't it?

The same seems to apply in Durham and Westmorland .... although they sometimes don't stick to the rules.

Some of my Fothergills have gone for grandparents before parents.

I sometimes think it's a bit 'hit and miss' once you go back too far.

I'm starting to concentrate more on the lifeslyle.

I could go on forever researching......I think it's time for me to get it together.  I'm putting my 32 families in a book .......with the odd 'other' family that I can find....... and trying to give researching a rest .... for a while.

Here's hoping

Jean

Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Kate Annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 May 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
Have been researching husband's Smith family but decided to pop back to Archibald and Smithson. I'm descended from Isabella Ramage ( daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Sedgewick) Isabella married William Moore and one of their children was Anne Moore. She married Thomas O'Neill and had my grandmother Catherine Anne ( the real Kate Annie).Would love to make contact with any other Ramages, Moores , O'Neills that I haven't already communicated with.
Kate Annie
Murphy, Boycott,O'Neill,Moore -Durham/ Shropshire/Ireland/Scotland.
Phillips,Parry-Shropshire/Denbighshire.
Ramage,Sedgewick-Durham/Yorkshire.
O'Rourke,Brannon,Kilbride- Ireland

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 May 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate ,

I come down from Henry and Elizabeth's daughter ... Annie Ramage, Isabella's sister.

We may have spoken before ... I can't remember.

Have you spoken to Cathy Murphy? .... I think she descends from  Isabella as well.

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Kate Annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 May 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
I am Cathy!! I wondered if I should say something to you as I knew you were often on line on this site. Hope you are well.
Murphy, Boycott,O'Neill,Moore -Durham/ Shropshire/Ireland/Scotland.
Phillips,Parry-Shropshire/Denbighshire.
Ramage,Sedgewick-Durham/Yorkshire.
O'Rourke,Brannon,Kilbride- Ireland

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 May 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there........lol

How ya doin.......when I saw 'Kate' I had a feeling it just maybe you

It's funny .... everytime we try to find other rellies ...we just end up talking to each other.  There must be others but maybe the rest of the families aren't into genealogy. 

Nothing much has changed this end ..... Hope Bernie and hubby are OK?

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline suberra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 January 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Just come across these messages today.
 I've been trying to prove that my ancestor Elizabeth Rammage,baptized 24 Jan 1813, daughter of Henry Rammage, labourer by his wife Isabella is the youngest child of Henry Ramage and Isabella Airey's family. I did notice on her marriage record to Christopher Carr in 1830 that one of the witnesses was Thomas Maving. Smithson Mary Rammage married Thomas Maven 26 May 1818, so I'm fairly confident that she is from the same family. Spelling errors were the norm in those days.
I too have not been able to find anything on Archibald other than than the records from Durham records online. It is now my mission to keep at it, having found this number of interested ancestral family members!
Has anyone got any further info on Smithson Mary Ramage? I think she may have called herself just Mary, unfortunately for census purposes.
Carr, Dowson, Ramage,Airey. Peverell