Author Topic: smith/booth gypsies nottingham  (Read 54166 times)

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: smith/booth gypsies nottingham
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Fab...
I will sort out what I have and get back to you asap...
I keep looking for more info...
Kezia and Everett were encamped with our Smith's on the 1871 census, they were cousins...
Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline mrrse01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaziah. OK many thanks.

Regards
Eddie

Offline mrrse01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Thursday 13 October 16 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaziah. Just a quick question about this site, as i am unsure at the moment when you said PM me is this the way, or is there another route? Or do I use the email symbol.

Regards

Eddie

Offline dinahbooth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, anyone who's reading this...

I'm still plodding away on this.  I think there is a definite link with the Booth / Plumb family.

Everett Plumb bn 1833 Notts

Everett Plumb also used the name Everett Booth bn 1864

His sister Mary Ann Plum /Booth / Smith bn 1860 Notts who used all 3 surnames.
Have sent off for some books on Gypsy family history and customs and found some good website - BUT if anyone has any pointers I'd be more than grateful.

My main interest is in Mary Ann Smith bn 1869/70 Arnold/Ilkeston ? who ended up living with George Slater a salt Hawker in Derby till she died...  I have yet to find the death.

Kazi
Hi Kaziah. Just a quick question about this site, as i am unsure at the moment when you said PM me is this the way, or is there another route? Or do I use the email symbol.

Regard
hi there im new to this site, my mum was a booth , her dad was william evertte booth , he was married to bertha , they liveed at pye bridge derbys , both of them my grand parent are buried at st helen slelston , there are a few booths burid there .

Offline romanochal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Thursday 15 June 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Yes this is the same family I'm looking at - I'll have a look at my file tomorrow and come back...
I feel sure that Keziah Booth is connected in someway to the Smith Gypsy family who is encamped with them/beside them during the 1871 census - Keziah is as a Booth and the rest of the family as Plumb's.

I'll post again later when I can get my info  together.

Kaziah
Hello, this family of Booth's and Plum's are my family. I'm Randolph smith, the Booth's are the Smith's , they have been since forever. If you want to get more confused look on the Absolam smith site haha. Amandine booth is my gt gt grandmother. We all have the same Christian names in how family, even today. randolphsmith59@gmail.com

Offline milinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
John Plumb 1795-1826 Convict, is my 5x GG.  As I've only just "found" that out, I would appreciate any further information about the crime he committed which saw him transported to Tasmania. 

Thanks,
Milinoz
Melbourne, Australia.

Offline milinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 06:43 BST (UK) »
Robert and Jane Plumb are my fourth great grandparents.  Their son John (my 5x Great Uncle was the one sent to Hobart Tasmania on the Lord Hungerford Convict ship.   John Plumb had two sisters Mary and Maria and a brother, David, all of which appear to have died in the same year they were born.

Offline milinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
:o I found a convict Plumb who was sent to Tasmania in 1823. Grandson of Samuel Plumb (1727) Lambley and Elizabeth Foster.
He was sent there in 1823 (not sure what for yet) when he was there he got mixed up with a bush ranger and was shot in the chin and jaw and died several days later....buried Hobart 1826

This was my 5x Great Uncle, son of Robert Plumb and Jane Plumb.  I have lots of information for him! If anyone's interested please email me at antmeal2@gmail.com.

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Monday 10 June 19 08:03 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is still searching these families of Smith/Plumb came across a marriage.

22 Sep 1850 Marriage Place:Derby, St Alkmund, Derbyshire, Silvey Plumb born 1825 married Charles Smith born 1826. Fathers Robert Plumb and John Smith.

Waltham on the Wolds and Stow Green Fair were places that I know at least some of the Gypsies would be found known as Lincolnshire Gypsies Brown Gray Elliotts Smith and sometimes Boswell Heron and Lovell from other parts of England. The Booths were known to reside  at Melton Mowbray and there is a story of ancestor a woman which they  said her picture hangs in Belvoir Castle.

1861 23 May Nottinghamshire Samuel Curson and Everett Plumb  2 gypsies were charged with camping on highway in parish of  Maplebeck - ordered to pay costs and warned if found similarly offending they would be  severely punished.

1869 28 May Stamford Mercury  Thomas Elliott charged with using a dog to kill game and assaulting police.... he was fined and costs paid.
Between 5 & 6 am of  13th a considerable number of gypsy tribe were traveling in Vans and other vehicles accompanied by a drove of horses down old Foss road between Cotgrave & Kinoulton.
Everett Plumb and Spencer Smith were charged with similar offences as was Wm Grey another gypsy charged with using a gun and killing a hare on land of Mr hoard Farmer of Cotsgrave. The case was adjourned.

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk