Author Topic: amy Bingham nee Mew  (Read 1135 times)

Offline treddz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
amy Bingham nee Mew
« on: Thursday 01 March 12 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I looking for the year Amy died.
She was born Amy Mew in 1775 or thereabouts in Horsted Keynes.
What I have is she married John Bingham in Horsted Keynes in 1795.
I believe I found John in the 1841 census with no Amy.
So led to believe she died between 1795 and 1837.
Tried numerous web sites including the Weld one which is very good.
Thank you
Treddle, Harrison, West, Thompson, Baldwin, Ariss, Messenger, Hunt Shilton, Thompson, Bishop Warwickshire.
Stratford Oxfordshire.
Carvell, Peach, Basford Cockerill Allen Northants.
Monaghan, Brady Ireland.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: amy Bingham nee Mew
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Bingham baptisms, I wonder whether Amy was always known as that.  John of Horsted Keynes seems to have also had partners called Emma and Emia, so perhaps Amy could be buried under one of those other names.    What children do you have for them?     

I found a birth of William to John & Amy, in 1801, but think the following are also worth your consideration.

John (1796), Philidelphia (1797) who had a mother Emme/Emia, and two other children born to John & Emma were baptised on the same day but late.   Allen age 9 in 1818 (born 1809) and Mary age 15 also in 1818 (born 1803) 
There is a rogue entry for a Sarah born to John and Philidelphia(?) in 1799 which you may also like to think about.   

If Emia/Emma were other names for your Amy, she had to have died post 1809, and if its the same John remarrying in 1827, that narrows down the search for Amy's death even further.   
 Roy G         

Offline treddz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 12 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I know John had a sister called Philadelphia, born in 1784.
So John may well have called his daughter by that name.
Emia, Amy sound very similar.
So that well may be the one, her death is not down on the NB Index.
So have you any idea on the year Emia/Emma died.
Thank you for your time Roy.
Treddle, Harrison, West, Thompson, Baldwin, Ariss, Messenger, Hunt Shilton, Thompson, Bishop Warwickshire.
Stratford Oxfordshire.
Carvell, Peach, Basford Cockerill Allen Northants.
Monaghan, Brady Ireland.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 12 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I did find the death of an Emma Bingham in H.K. on 15th Jan 1836 (new IGI) but no age is given so I have no idea if it was your John's wife or the 9 year old child of William & Martha Bingham also of Horsted Keynes.

In the meantime, taking John Bingham of Horsted Keynes as the only constant, there also seems to be a controversy over the parish recording of his wife's name.   Working forwards from the John who married Amy Mew in 1795, these are their suggested children.

1796  John,                mother Emma
1797  Philadelphia        mother Emia
1799  Sarah               mother Philadelphia  (buried 1800 as dtr of John & Emma)
1801  William              mother Amy (the SFHG index says Amy/Emma (so Amy was also known as Emma)
1803  Mary                 mother Emma (not baptised until 1818)  Why?
1809  Allen                 mother Emma (not baptised until 1818)  Why?
I deduced from the above that Amy/Emma died at or after the birth of Allen, but as you write, that could be any time up until the 1841 census.

A John Bingham is recorded marrying a Mary Ellis in Horsted Keynes in 1827 (but was he a widower or John the son of John?)  I suggest the latter, for John senior would have to have made the transition from being an ordinary farm labourer to being a servant in the interveining years.

Genes Reunited has an Ivan ******* who has made his own personal study of many of the Horsted Keynes Binghams back to Allen of 1742, and he may have better knowledge to help answer some of your questions.

Roy G