Author Topic: Galashiels cemetery lookup offer  (Read 14191 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Re: Galashiels cemetery lookup offer
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 April 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm hoping to go today, with my camera :)
Caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 April 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!   ;D

Thanks Caroline
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 April 12 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I didn't find them yesterday, it's a big cemetery and I had a good look through a big chunk of it but couldn't see them, sorry  :( .  I will go again and look round the other parts of the cemetery.
Caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 April 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
I really appreciate your help Caroline, thank you  :)
I wish I had some sort of idea of exactly where they are; all I know is that they are buried close together in family plots.  Fingers crossed for next time  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 April 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know the Borders Family History Society have produced CD's of the Galashiels MI's  - as far as I'm aware all the Graveyards are covered.

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 April 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you terrianne, I am aware of the CDs.  Another member had sent me some information but unfortunately it was not my family.

BordersLass

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
If they are not on the CDs it probably means the grave is either unreadable, no longer there or fallen over.  But I only looked for Hugh so can look for others if you give me the details,  Caroline would then be happy to take a photo I am sure if she knows the grave is there.

Barbara

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Barbara.  Here are some details:

Mary Alexander Laidlaw d 25 March 1940 aged 90 and her husband William Laidlaw d 3 March 1929 aged 81, their son Adam Laidlaw d 30 October 1888 aged 18 (possibly young daughters Charlotte and Barbara with them).
Jane Tweedie Laidlaw d 20 July 1945 aged 61
Adam Templeton born 10 December 1892, death in 1950s (he died in Canada whilst visiting, ashes buried in this cemetery, possibly son Jack/John with him)

BordersLass   :)

Offline VDye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your offer. I have a weak link, but if you find anything I'd love it! My grandmother left a letter to her sister in 1961 giving her a cemetery plot. I only know that it's in Galashiels, Scotland not which cemetery. If her sister used the plot her name would be: Agnes Weir Allan. I have no idea when she died but it would be after 1961.

If you find anything on the Weir family, her maiden name I would be grateful.

Thanks so much for looking!