Author Topic: How to flatten a Vellum Indenture?  (Read 17764 times)

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to flatten a Vellum Indenture?
« on: Friday 02 March 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I have an indenture regarding my 2x GG that has been written on a parchment type material that I believe is Vellum. It was written in the late 1800's and since then has been stored folded up. As a result it is badly creased and, although it does open out it doesn't even remotely lay flat.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the document. I can't decide whether to just store it or to frame it in some way. My main concern though is that the document is preserved and not damaged, not because it's an important document as such (it's simply regarding my 2x GG becoming an apprentice) but for sentimental reasons.

So if I'm just going to store it, how should I do this? Should I try and flatten it out before re-rolling it or just leave it as is?

If I wanted to get it framed. Is it possible to get Vellum flattened and does this do any damage to it? Obviously I know that hanging it in direct sunlight will cause it to fade but are there other things to consider like contact with the glass (obviously an acid free mount)? Is framing just a bad idea in terms of the 'documents health'?
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to flatten a Vellum Indenture?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 12 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The best way to flatten vellum is to use humidity to relax the vellum.
Place the indenture on a flat surface clamped or weighted at the edges.
This should then be placed in a closed container containing a water source.
Do not let the water come in contact with the vellum.

Over a short period of time the resultant humidity will relax the velum which can then be stored flat or framed if required.

Note do not wet the vellum or allow it to come in contact with the water.
Cheers
Guy

PS When framed the vellum would not be in contact with the glass as the mount would provide a suitable gap
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I have read many documents on paper, parchment and vellum in the NAS. They are usually delivered to you folded as yours is and small weighted leather bags are used to hold them open if necessary. They make no attempt to flatten any of their documents.

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 12 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies. I think I'll see if I can a professional to do this as I don't trust that I would be able to do it safely
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 12 08:25 GMT (UK) »
A few years ago a team of volunteers at Lancashire Record Office, Preston, spent many hours over a long period flattening a large number of wills which had been stored folded.  Contact with LRO might produce some useful advice.
A

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Guy's advice is very sound and is exactly what is done in museums, archives and libraries to flatten parchment/vellum :)

Alternatively, storing it folded is a fine solution, if it is rarely accessed.  Parchment is a very resilient material and does not mind being folded and unfolded reasonably frequently, unlike paper of the same age.

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Currently I am transcribing a 1659 parchment document. (Thomas Leigh of Ridge, near Macclesfield, 600mm x 450mm approx) It's held down under 2 pieces of glass on a flat board. (easier than a single large piece and it offers protection too) When it is completed I will roll it up and put it  back in a cardboard tube. I've done this with many parchment and vellum documents and found this an easy way of storing them without creases. Tubes take up more storage space though!

KimH

Offline Grandpop Bubbles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 22 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a 28" w x 14" high section of once a much larger sheet, perhaps the bottom half. It is 16th-century music handwritten as three lines of 4-line red music staff, containing black square and diamond notes. The staff lines are about 1.5" tall and the black text is 1.25 inches, all lower case. The folded piece is in a very rippling state.

By the way, the Latin lyrics on the exposed side of the vellum (in a frame) are, "My son who praises the angel who made the cherubim and the seraphim."

I see above the suggestion to use humidity. Any additional suggestions as to how to deal with the fold or ripples?

Thanks
Brian