Author Topic: Robert Turnbull of Cumberland  (Read 3001 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Robert Turnbull of Cumberland
« on: Saturday 03 March 12 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help to work out the correct Mary that Robert married.

I have a Mary Robson who married a Robert Turnbull at Nether Denton in 1809

I also have a Mary Welch who married Robert Turnbull at Carlisle in 1820, only just discovered.

I have the following children in the 1841 census:
John, aged 20
James aged 15
Adam aged 13
Samuel aged 9
Not on the 1841 census was also Joseph aged 20

According to Family Search, all the children were born at Kirklington

Having just found about Mary Welch, I am inclined to think that she would be more likely to be the mother of the children than Mary Robson.

Could any one out there with better knowledge give me an idea if I would be correct

A Chesters

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Turnbull of Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Unlikely a couple would be married for 12 years without issue,then have 5 children.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Unlikely a couple would be married for 12 years without issue,then have 5 children.

There were children of Robert and Mary TURNBULL bap from 1810 onwards.

I can see a Robert and Mary in 1851 at Hethersgill, likely the couple who married at Denton, as he was born there.  They were aged 60+, compatible with age 50 in 1841.

The only TURNBULLs I can see in Kirklinton in 1851 were John (34) his wife and 5 kids.

Looking at the IGI, I see 2 Johns, 1815 and 1828.  The younger one was clearly not with the family found in 1841.  The elder one would have been 25, so ought to have been entered as 25 really.

The younger John TURNBULL (12) can be found with his Robert and Mary parents who were aged 35 and 25! (eldest child 15)

It really depends who you are trying to connect to as to which Robert and Mary you select.  The ones given in the earlier post were, to my mind, the ones that married in 1809. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 12 12:33 GMT (UK) »
There were two Robert and Mary Turnbulls with gravestones at Kirklinton, both near each other, so probably related, and close to other Turnbull gravestones. Do either of these match your Turnbulls? From the ages, the first couple are too young to have been married in 1809,:

In memory of Robert TURNBULL who died at Newcastle on Tyne Feby 16th 1855 aged 50 years. Also Mary relict of the above who died Decr 28th 1889 aged 85 years. Also of John his son who died Oct 13th 1854 aged 26 years. Also of Tamer his daughter who died June 15th 1849 aged 22 years. Also of James his son who died Novr 9th 1846 aged 7 years. Also of Elizabeth his daughter who died Decr 2d 1846 aged 2 years. Also of Joseph his son who died March 27th 1847 aged 10 months.

(Reverse) Job Chap 3 Ver 17
From pineing sickness long distressed
I like a weary traveller rest
John Chap 5 Ver 28
Till Jesus wakes my sleeping dust
At the revival of the just

Erected in memory of Robert son of Robert TURNBULL of Uppertown who died March 14th 1816 aged 2 years. Also of the above Robert TURNBULL who died at Breckonhill Rigg Kirklinton Augt 3rd 1859 aged 73 years. Also of Mary his wife who died July 13th 1869 aged 81 years. Also of George their son who died at Scalesceugh Feby 5th 1876 aged 54 years.

cheers
Robbiesmum

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 12 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Warncoort,

That is what I thought, but at the time I only had Robert married to Mary Cameron.
It is only just recently that I found Mary Welch as a possibility

Geoff-E

I am trying to find the parents of Joseph Turnbull, baptised 24 Nov 1832 to Robert and Mary at Kirklington, as per Family Search film 1472355. Just which Robert and Mary is what I am trying to work out.

Robbiesmum

Thank you for that information. From that and searching the internet, it looks like there must have been a real clan of Turnbulls in Cumberland, with several of the Roberts marrying a Mary. The Tamer mentioned I have seen in the baptism records, but is not mentioned in any of the census and other documentation for the Turnbulls I am interested in.

More work to be done trying to sort them out :'( :'(

Thanks again for your help

A Chesters