Author Topic: R.DILLEY and M.TURNER  (Read 10399 times)

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
R.DILLEY and M.TURNER
« on: Saturday 03 March 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Does anyone have Dilley's or Turner's from Clifton or Henlow in their family tree?
 I have a Richard Dilley born in Campton in 1695 who married a Mary Turner in Campton in 1715. I believe they both died in Henlow. I am trying to find out about Mary's Parents. I think she was born in Henlow in 1696. I know it is going back a way , but thought there may be someone with the same ancestors!
Many Thanks  Jan
Bowden, Perks, Hill, Powell, Davies, Morgan, Bowen, Morris, Oliver, Hudson, Mottershead, Wenham, Tingey, Bennett, Smout, Mantle, Hughes, Kidson, Simpson.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: R.DILLEY and M.TURNER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I've done a lot of work on the Dilleys from mid-Beds, but have always struggled with the early ones, so I don't have this Richard. But I do have Mary Turner baptised 1796 in Henlow in my tree; she was my 2nd cousin nine times removed, so a pretty close relation! I'm connected to her via her mother Elizabeth Cooper. I can trace the Coopers back to c1450 in Arlesey and some of the female lines back as far as you want to go.

But the problem is linking Mary Turner who married Richard Dilley to the Mary Turner from Henlow. The problem is compounded by the fact that I show her as marrying John Earl in 1721, but I think I was guided (or misguided) by an Earl researcher on this point. I see there's an earlier Mary Turner, baptised in Henlow on 9 Jan 1691/2, just to confuse the issue further.

Let me have a look at her, as it's years since I did any work on this family.

David

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,127461.0.html which just touches on the Turners from Henlow.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,
Thank you for replying to my message. The problem with the Dilley's seems to be there are SO many of them in the Henlow area, it hard to say exactly which one is which! Then of course there is always the chance that one person did something random and moved to who knows where.
I also have some ancestors who came from Arlesey too (Coincidence?) Names include Robert Johnson 1774 (Daughter Elizabeth). William Davies 1801.
The other name that seems to have something to do with the Dilley's is the TINGEY'S  - George 1766, Mary 1745  (his Mother) and a Harriet Tingey born 1802 who married the William Davies mentioned earlier. (Confused yet?)

The line as I THINK it may be from Harriet Tingey and William Davies is this:-

Harriets Parents- George Tingey 1766 Henlow and Elizabeth Cooke 1776 Millbrook beds.
Georges Parents- John Tingey 1741 Henlow and Mary Dilley 1745 Henlow.

John's parents-  John Tingey 1717 Henlow, Mother- Mary Paternoster 1719 southill,- Beds. Then John Tingey 1656 Henlow and Sarah Bryant 1685.

Mary Dilley 1745 parents - John Dilley 1720 Henlow and Katherine.1725.  John Dilleys parents  RICHARD DILLEY and MARY TURNER??  Where was Mary from ? Not sure!
I wonder if any of this fits in with your tree? Of course nothing is certain going so far back. but this is the best I can work out for now! I shall leave you with all that to digest!
Best Wishes  Jan
Bowden, Perks, Hill, Powell, Davies, Morgan, Bowen, Morris, Oliver, Hudson, Mottershead, Wenham, Tingey, Bennett, Smout, Mantle, Hughes, Kidson, Simpson.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I'll digest it piecemeal! It's too much in one sitting.

I also have some ancestors who came from Arlesey too (Coincidence?) Names include Robert Johnson 1774 (Daughter Elizabeth). William Davies 1801.

I can see that William Davies was the son of Crout & Elizabeth (Johnson) Davies who married on 3 Jan 1793. Elizabeth appears to have been baptised on 14 Oct 1770, the daughter of Robert & Grace (Godfrey). Robert Johnson was baptised on 25 Aug 1734. Is this the Robert to whom you refer above? If so we are connected as he was my 5xg grandfather via his son William baptised 29 Oct 1765

David

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 12 12:32 GMT (UK) »
David,
I'll keep this one short - in a word -Yes! Robert and Grace are My Grandparents x6
Bye for now,  Jan
P.s Just found your William! Did he marry an Ann Jordan?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 12 13:01 GMT (UK) »

The line as I THINK it may be from Harriet Tingey and William Davies is this:-

Harriets Parents- George Tingey 1766 Henlow and Elizabeth Cooke 1776 Millbrook beds.
Georges Parents- John Tingey 1741 Henlow and Mary Dilley 1745 Henlow.

John's parents-  John Tingey 1717 Henlow, Mother- Mary Paternoster 1719 southill,- Beds.

Wouldn't argue with this, subject to some sort of evidence that the marriage of George Tingey in Millbrook shows George as being of the parish of Henlow.

Then John Tingey 1656 Henlow and Sarah Bryant 1685.
John Tingey labourer married Sarah Bryant on 21 June 1716 at Henlow. The John baptised 1656 seems a bit old. I wonder if John was of a subsequent generation?

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
P.s Just found your William! Did he marry an Ann Jordan?

Yes!

Their son William 1792-1827 married Hannah Sabey in 1815 at Henlow, and their daughter Sarah Johnson 1823-1863, my gg grandmother, married into my Cooper line.

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 12 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Had a look at the previous messages on  Earl/Turner etc. that you pointed me to. I think I am more confused than ever now! It's great when someone has a really odd name -so much easier to find!
Stlill it can be worse, I have Morgan's and Powell's etc. in Wales - that really is a nightmare.
Jan

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a Richard Dilley born in Campton in 1695 who married a Mary Turner in Campton in 1715. I believe they both died in Henlow.

I agree that it looks likely that this is the Richard Dilley, carrier, who was buried in Henlow on 12 Feb 1736/7, and the fact that they moved to Henlow after baptising one daughter in Campton might indicate that Mary was from Henlow, particularly as I can find no Turners in Campton at around that time. They also named a daughter Dorcas in Henlow, which was the name of the mother of Richard Dilley baptised in Campton in 1695.

The big question must be which Mary Turner was she. The one baptised 9 Jan 1691/2, daughter of Benjamin & Ann, or the one baptised on 13 Mar 1695/6 the daughter of John & Elizabeth. Neither was buried as an infant so the assumption must be that both lived to adulthood.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, the Earl researchers claim the 1696 Mary as having married John Earl at Bedford St Paul on 29 Sept 1721. Elizabeth's parents, John Turner and Elizabeth Cooper, also married at Bedford St Paul, on 24 Oct 1674, despite both coming from Henlow, where they then baptised all their children. Perhaps it was a family thing to marry in Bedford! I haven't done any detailed research myself on this family.

Which I suppose then leaves the 1692 Mary as being the one who married Richard Dilley in Campton in 1715. On chronological grounds it's a better fit although it makes Mary older than Richard, but the ages of the two Marys makes either marriage quite feasible. Unfortunately neither couple baptised a son Benjamin which might have given a clue.

BLARS hold wills of John Turner snr, blacksmith 1677/57, and of more direct relevance John Turner blacksmith 1700/106 and John Turner blacksmith 1748-9/67. The 1700 one is, I believe, that of Mary's father, but I doubt if it can shed any light on who his four year daughter subsequently married!

So I have to come clean and say that I just don't know which Mary she was. It's a 50/50 call. It's possible that John and Benjamin Turner were connected, possibly even siblings, but it's a toss up who Mary's mother was, and could end up with you researching the wrong line. Elizabeth is by far the more attractive option, but it might be the wrong family!

David