Author Topic: Looking for Jacksons in Armagh  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Fufuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jacksons in Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 May 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, Karen M. I also have David Jackson born in County Derry, Ireland as well.

And yes, I have James' death in 1912 in Winchester, Ontario, Canada.--David Jackson (my g.g. grandfather) also died in Winchester in July of 1883.

I am amazed that anyone else has the info I had searched for, for such a long time!--Are these your relatives also?

regards, Fufuss

Jackson, Jamieson

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
No, they are no relation to me.  I just seen Ontario mentioned so peaked in on the thread  ;D

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 02:03 GMT (UK) »
It's been almost 10 years, but...

My g-g-g grandfather was also named James Slater Jackson, from Northern Ireland.  He isn't the same James Slater Jackson because he emigrated to New York about 1843.  But the name similarity is striking, so perhaps they were some sort of cousins ...

His father was also named James Jackson (I don't know the middle name), born around 1800. The Jacksons were Presbyterian. James Slater and his siblings were said to have been born in "Laurel Lodge" somewhere in County Tyrone.  My James Slater referred to it as "the ancestral estate of the Jacksons in County Tyrone", so it would have produced numerous Jacksons going back into the 1700s.  This structure seems to be gone now, and I don't know where it is (couldn't find it on Griffith's Valuation maps) but I suspect it was near the border with Armagh for several reasons that I won't go into now.   Suffice it to say that James the father was married somewhere in Armagh in 1827. So if your James and mine are connected, and geographically close, I would look for him in churches near the border with Tyrone.