Author Topic: Rozier of Needham Market  (Read 10645 times)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rozier of Needham Market
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 21:33 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Rosier b abt 1818 who married a Thomas Markwell in 1836 in Stowmarket
they lived all their lives in Stowmarket . they can be found in Census etc but I don't have any info on her parents.
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denrosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandiep.
Thanks for your input. Best wishes

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 March 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I'm interested in Thomas Edward MARKWELL b.~1845 and came across this thread.

Can anyone confirm if Thomas Edward (listed in Reply #15 by James) is a child of Thomas and Elizabeth MARKWELL? FindMyPast has an 1848 baptism for a Thomas Edward but this suggests his birthyear is 1848 (but this date may be an estimate based on the year of baptism).

There is a Thomas aged 6 living with Thomas & Betsey(Elizabeth) at Gipping St, Stowmarket in 1851, but there is also a Thomas aged 4 living with Eliza MARKWELL in Regent St, Stowmarket. I think this second Thomas is the child of Charles and Eliza baptised 1846 (according to FindMyPast).

FreeBMD has a Thomas Edward MARKWELL b. SepQ1845 and a Thomas b. SepQ1846 both in Stow District. It doesn't seem unreasonable that Thomas & Elizabeth waited a few years after his birth in 1845 before baptising 'Thomas Edward' in 1848, but I wouldn't feel confident ruling out the possibility of 'Thomas Edward' being the child of Charles and Eliza instead, especially as the census records only refer to 'Thomas' in each case.

Also, I wonder if the 1891 census data James posted in reply #15 is for Eliza the spouse of Charles and not for Elizabeth/Betsey (nee ROZIER). Because Eliza and Elizabeth/Betsey's birth years are similar it has taken me a while to figure the families out, but the children living with the widowed Eliza at Bond St, Stowmarket in 1891 appear to be a better match with those of Charles & Eliza than those of Thomas & Elizabeth.

If so, then where was Elizabeth (nee ROZIER) in 1891? I've not been able to find her yet and I suspect she was still alive as the NBI has Stowmarket burials of Eliza MARKWELL (age 76) on 14/11/1891 and Elizabeth MARKWELL (age 80) on 19/10/1897 (so both alive at the time of the 1891 census). Not sure which burial is which though!

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 March 16 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
cant prove it but I feel that Thomas Edward Markwell b 1845 is the child of Thomas and Elizabeth(BetseyRosier...........Thomas born 1846 is child of Thomas and Eliza Markwell nee Tricker

I think all census with Betsey in are Thomas and Elizabeth and the death of Elizabeth Markwell nee Rosier is 1897

The 1848 baptism I don't think is your Thomas further down the transcription is does say Bn 8th Aug 1847
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denrosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 March 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick and Sandie.
I think this subject was mentioned by James Calver some time ago and probably from this I have Elizabeth and Thomas Markwell married 22.12.1836 at Stowmarket and then as you say Thomas Edward age 6 on the 1851.  I also have that on the 1891 there is Eliza Markwell age 74 Charwoman Widow with son Charles and his family at Bond Street, Stowmarket.  Does this help?

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 March 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis  long time no talk!!
this family isn't one of my Rosier family was just giving my opinion(as usual!!) for Nick

the 1891 family is not the family Nick is looking for this is Eliza Tricker.......the firat one you mention is the right family Elizabeth Rosier and Thomas Markwell.
Sandie

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »

Hi Dennis and Sandie, thank you both for your replies.

I've had a chance to get to a library to check the FindMyPast transcriptions for all the MARKWELL baptisms in Stowmarket.

I notice the transcription for Thomas Edward bp.1848 also shows their residence as Combs, not Stowmarket.

I cannot find another Thomas and Elizabeth MARKWELL who could be the parents of the Thomas Edward baptised in 1848, and there is no birth registration on FreeBMD for any Thomas MARKWELL in the September and December quarters of 1847 as might be expected for a birthdate of 8 Aug 1847.

On that basis I wonder if either the transcription or original record might be wrong, and the birthdate should be 8 Aug 1845, not 1847. That birthdate would be consistent with the registration of the Thomas Edward in Sep quarter of 1845 - who I believe is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth/Betsey.

My next step would be to check the 1848 baptism transcript against the original register, but as I'm not likely to be in Suffolk for a while it may take some time to do. But thank you again for your help.

Dennis, I'm not sure from your posts whether you are somehow connected to Thomas and Elizabeth MARKWELL or if you just had access to data about them. My 'family' link is a distant one to Herbert George MARKWELL (b.1899) who was a grandson (via Isaac b.1859) of Thomas and Elizabeth.

Best wishes,

Nick

Offline denrosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick.
No I am not connected to the Markwell family but have been doing a one name study of the Rosier or Rosher family name as far as Suffolk is concerned. i think I started about 1990 and Sandie and I have made contact several times in the past.  So being based around the mid Suffolk area I simply have a note of Stowmarket and Combs Rosiers. Spent a holiday once cycling around the villages and photographing churches and spending days in the Ipswich Records Office. Great fun!

So best wishes in your research.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Baloo,

I see you have made reference to Sarah Rozier who married Charles Ribbans in 1842 in Suffolk (reply # 12).

Are you able to give any more info as to where they married and who his father was, please?

I've been try to find if he belongs in my "Ribbans" tree,  I have them both in the 185,61,71, &81 census .

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk