Author Topic: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?  (Read 45490 times)

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?
« on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Content re-instated by moderator

Tobias's son William was my grandfather - he was born at Rickeston Mill in 1882. He had an elder brother called James (1880) and 3 younger sisters called Sarah (1883) Martha (1885) and Hannah (1887).

Tobias's first wife, Mary died in 1892 and he married his second wife, Jane John in 1893. Tobias died in 1925.

My grandfather moved to the Aberdare area when he was about 17 to work in the mines and eventually settled down in Penrhiwceiber.

Tobias was the son of Tobias Codd and Lettice Hughes and the grandson of Tobias Codd and Elizabeth Moore.

Offline lambkin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 11 05:35 GMT (UK) »
All I know that when I was in school in the sixties we had a Miss Codd who was the school secretary.

I live in Pembroke Dock.
Buckney
Siddoway Durham/ Northumberland
Odell Stevington
Joy Kempston
Gilby Wellingborough
Brown Winlaton
Urwin Durham/ Northumberland
Poole Bedfordshire
Tompkins Stagsden Bed's
Vaughan Monkton Pembrokeshire
Buckney Angle Village Pembrokeshire
Grimes Langwm Pembrokeshire

Dudley Bedfordshire pre 1580

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mal. I was interested to see that your ancestor was born at Rickeston Mill as I live about 2 miles away at Herbrandston and have been doing some research on the local area.I see that in 1881 Tobias Codd senior aged 65 was at Rickeston Mill with wife Letitia,and also son Tobias aged 23 with wife Mary and son James age 1.For some reason son William b.1882 was at Havens Head,Milford Haven in 1891 with his uncle James Morgan,farmer.Funnily enough I am currently in the process of buying a cottage there!There are only a handful of cottages at Havens Head most of which would have been there then but as is common with census returns the exact address is not given.Rather strangely James Morgan by then widowed is in 1901 at 1 Marion St.Aberdare,occupation farm labourer,with nephew William Codd age 19,coal miner hewer.He is still single.10 years later a William Codd age 30 born Pembroke Dock is at 48 Bailey St. Deri (which I think is near New Tredegar).He is a boarder,is married although his wife is not with him there and he is a colliery hewer.This does not all seem to fit but you probably have more info on your grandfather which makes sense of it.His brother James was still at Rickeston Mill at this time,with his parents age 34,unmarried described as farm help.Sister Sarah Ann may have married John Henry Davies Haverfordwest,1892.Sister Martha may have married William Davies,Haverfordwest 1899.Sister  Hannah may have married Thomas David Morris or someone else ,Haverfordwest,1910.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »

It is strange to see that Rickeston Mill is now a residential nursing home run by Indians - I wonder what grancha would have said (probably would have laughed). He married his first wife - Mary Ann Evans in 1904 and in the 1911 census was in Morris Avenue Penrhiwceiber with 4 children. She died in the flu epidemic of 1918 and he married my grandmother - Florence Reynolds of Rosemarket - in 1920. My dad was born in Penrhiwceiber in 1922.

James Morgan was not his uncle - I noticed from the census form of 1871 that Mary Jenkins (Tobias's future wife and grancha's mother) was a servant of James and Martha Morgan at St Botolph's Lodge. It must have been romantic then walking through the fields to see one another - now there is one big oil refinery in the way. When James's wife, Martha and grancha's mother, Mary died they moved to Aberdare to work in the mines - even though grancha - being the eldest son of sound mind (James was a bit simple) - would have inherited the farm.

There was a deal made with the John family (one of grancha's sisters) that if my grandfather gave up his claim to the land that they would bring up his youngest daughter (only a few months old) and give most of the money from the sale of the land to her - but I think they kept the money themsleves.  I think it was Sarah Codd who married a John and one of the John son's married my aunt (his second cousin)

I was in Pembroke about 4 years ago - The Old Kings Arms Hotel - March 2007 - and it was lovely riding in the Puffin buses through the narrow country lanes - if ever I win the lottery I would return to my roots - to Pembroke. Very unusual accent they have in South Pembrokeshire - half Somerset and half Irish to my ears.

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Tobias's son William was my grandfather - he was born at Rickeston Mill in 1882. He had an elder brother called James (1880) and 3 younger sisters called Sarah (1883) Martha (1885) and Hannah (1887).

Tobias's first wife, Mary died in 1892 and he married his second wife, Jane John in 1893. Tobias died in 1925.

My grandfather moved to the Aberdare area when he was about 17 to work in the mines and eventually settled down in Penrhiwceiber.

Tobias was the son of Tobias Codd and Lettice Hughes and the grandson of Tobias Codd and Elizabeth Moore.

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
 Martha (Patty) Codd was my grandmother.   She married Thomas John from Herbrandston and they had 8 children.  They moved to Rickeston Mill when Tobias died so that she could take care of her brother Jimmy who was handicapped.   The Codd family can be traced back to Tobias Codd,a farmer in Nolton Pembs who died in 1735.  That's as far as I've got as yet.  I can remember an Emrys and Mary from Penrhiwceiber and have a photo of them?  Any help?  I think I must be your second cousin?  Cheers!  Patty also brought up the daughter of her brother William.  She was called Beatrice. 

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for replying -

My father took my mother down to Rickeston Mill soon after they were married - the first memory she had of Auntie Patty was seeing her come round the corner wringing a chicken's neck. They went down on the milk train from London to Milford (via Cardiff travelling through the night) - started to walk from Milford Haven train station but on the way to the farm a man with a hay cart told them to hop on and took them to Rickeston Mill.

I never understood why my grandfather left Pembroke to work down the mines in Glamorgan - perhaps he didn't get on with his father Tobias. He lived for a while with James Morgan in Aberdare as his nephew - but he wasn't really his uncle - Grancha's mother was a servant at James's home in St. Botolph's Lodge. Grancha named his eldest son Benjamin James Codd.

I've no idea who Emrys was - my grandfather's name was William. He married twice. The 2nd Mrs Codd - my grandmother - was Florence Reynolds from Rosemarket. They had 3 sons together. There were 8 children by the 1st marriage.

I tried finding Thomas and Martha John on the 1911 census but no luck - would you know the names of their eldest children - There was a Minnie, Alfred and Joseph - may be their children - but they were born AFTER 1911. Also I cannot see Sarah Codd getting married in Pembrokeshire. Hannah Codd seems to have married twice - 1st to John Morgan(s) and then to William Griffiths.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
So Tobias mrd Lettice Hughes in 1st Qtr of 1841 and died in 2nd Qtr of 1881 aged 65 yrs. It is interesting to note that a Tobias Codd was baptised at Marloes in 1841 and at St Brides in 1882.
I note that Tobias Codde was in fact baptised at St Ishmaels in 1814 and probably related to Anne Codde(1823) and John Codde(1816).
Tobias Codd had mrd Elizabeth Moor at Marloes in 1799, and probably related to John Codd who had mrd Mary Howell at Nolton in the same year.
Of all the Codd wills the most interesting must be Tobias of 1735 on the NLoW website at ;
http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

Of all the interesting Codd entries on my Military History headstone database related to Pembrokeshire, the most interesting to me must be Martha Elizabeth Codd of Milford who mrd Aircraftsman 1st Class Arthur Robert Jones in 1933 probably at Hubbeston. Arthur died on the 21st Dec 1947, but not before having served with the RAF for the whole of W.W. 2 he was demobbed in Dec 1945, Arthur and his wife receiving no assistance with accommodation on his de-mob, took matters into their own hands and became one of Milfords 1st Squatters in early 1946 when he moved into a former Nissen Hut in Haken, Hut 14 Pioneer Camp Hakin Milford.
Perhaps the more poignant is Able Seaman Ernest Warald Newlands Codd son of  Ernest and Mary L. Codd and husband of Olwen Lilian Rose Codd of Milford, he was serving on HMS Ardent which was sunk 08 June 1940. Initially Olwen had been informed that her husband was in fact a P.O.W. before being informed of his demise, he is remembered on the Plymouth Memorial Panel 37 Col 2. Olwen was the daughter of Mr & Mrs Ledner of 52 Shakespeare Ave Milford.

Trust the above is of some interest to your research.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
Pembrokeshire related worldwide military headstones 1722 to 2008
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 12 20:03 GMT (UK) »

Tobias must have had a few bob to have had such a will - it reminded me a bit of the Doomsday Book. Not sure where he lies in the family tree - possibly a grandfather of the Tobias Codd who married Elizabeth Moore. I visited Nolton a few years ago - it had a kind of Eerie beauty - a Haven at the end of the world.

The Codds certainly get around - I must admit the militant action of the squatters made me very proud indeed of the name Codd. My grandfather, William, was banned from working for the mine owners because he wanted a fair deal for the miners - so the miners employed him out of their own wages to be a weight checker - to sit next to the weight checker employed by the mine owners - and therefore guarantee that the miners were paid fairly for the amount of coal they managed to bring above ground - long may the Codd spirit continue!