Author Topic: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?  (Read 45496 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 February 12 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

How exciting to make connection with other descendants of the Codd family!

Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 February 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Content reinstated by moderator

Hello

My Auntie Bessie was born Sarah Elizabeth Codd - my grandfather named her after his sister Sarah and his Auntie Elizabeth - your great great grandmother. I noticed from the Census forms that there were Codds and Devonalds on the same pages - so a marriage was always on the cards. Life must have been hard in those times but one compensation would have been living in an area of outstanding natural beauty - the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.

Malcolm Codd

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 February 12 17:51 GMT (UK) »
   The Devonalds lived at Rickeston UPPER Mill and the Codds at Rickeston LOWER Mill, the latter being where I was born  and which is now the Nursing Home.   Obviously, the river proved to be no obstacle to courtship.  Best wishes.

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 February 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Content reinstated by moderator

Well it all sounds like the Waltons at Rickeston Mill (one of my fav programmes)  - I can imagine everone saying goodnight to other family members - so lovely. I was just wondering where people went on the weekends - would they have walked to Milford or was there somewhere nearer that the locals would call their own.
I was looking at Google Earth and the roads look so narrow in Rickeston - would be safe for a non-driver like me to wander around the Pembrokeshire roads - perhaps one of those luminous jackets would help. I feel more at home in Pembrokeshire than in my native Glamorgan - now why is that?

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 February 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah
I was interested to hear that Tobias Codd was at  Greenmire Mill in 1841 .I have been researching old mills in the area and so that is one to add to the list. The 1841 census has it as Marloes Court Mill but I see from the map that Greenmire Cottage is shown on the path from the car park down to Marloes Sands.Past the cottage the path runs alongside the stream that flows out across Marloes Sands.Presumably the mill was along that stream.In 1851 the Codd family were at Winsle Mill which was about half way beteen Rickeston and Marloes.By 1861 they were at Rickeston Lower Mill. Tobias Codd snr died in 1881 so his son Tobias took over the mill and was still there in 1901.In 1911 they were at Rickeston Upper Mill ,Tobias Codd jnr dying in 1925.I  looked at some old maps in Haverfordwest library and the Upper Mill was definately where the nursing home is now.The Lower Mill was  by the quay to the W. and is gone without trace.Thomas Devonald and family was at the Upper Mill in 1871 and was there until his death in 1896.I certainly agree with you Malcolm that it is a beautiful place to live.Despite the refineries and the LNG terminal !
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 March 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
  Re Rickeston Mill,now a Nursing home.  There was another mill a little further up the valley on the left bank of the river and where I understood the Devonalds to have lived. If you continued upstream you come to yet another mill called  Syke Mill which is in Walwyns Castle parish. There was only one mill as far as I know in the Marloes Sands area and that was Marloes Court Mill.  We locals still refer to that part of the beach as the Mill.

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 March 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
   Thank you very much for the info on Greatuncle Willie's family.  It will be of great interest to the surviving famiily of  Beats as they don't know a lot on the family background..   I will pass it on.  Best wishes from Gull Country.

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 March 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Content re-instated by moderator

Well say hello to Beats daughter from me - cousin J (can't mention her name as she is still alive) - and her Auntie Iris's children also say hello. I thought she was living in Scotland

Offline SarahDevonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 March 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I am new to rootschat so its taken me a while to get the hang of it all...
Thomas Devonald and family did live at Rickeston-Upper-Mill. This is what I was brought up to believe that the Devonalds (Waltons)  were living at Rickeston-Upper-Mill which is the nursing home now, and besides the census I have a copy of the large family bible that gives all the birth as Rickeston-Upper-Mill..The bungalow my great grandparents lived in has now been rebuilt.
I am from Glamorgan also, but my roots are deep in Pembrokeshire..