Author Topic: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?  (Read 45557 times)

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 March 12 13:44 GMT (UK) »

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 March 12 15:52 GMT (UK) »
  When my Grandad, Tommy John of Rickeston Mill felt like an ale, he would sneak off to his favourite watering hole,
which was the Sloop at Sandy Haven.  This meant crossing the creek by foot so he had to watch the tide and even worse he had to take shelter from Granny's wrath when he returned.  The Sloop,long gone, was a very popular venue with the local menfolk. Anyone who remembers Granny Pattie will know that Tommy did'nt manage to escape very often, he dare'nt.   Will pass on your greetings to my cousin.  Thank you.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Anyone with Codd ancestors from Pembrokeshire might be interested to hear of a project run by the coastlands history group.There will be a talk at Marloes village hall on 23rd May by Malcolm Cullen on the Codd family. People with any imformation about their ancestors are being invited to contact them.They can do so on line at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I have just been to the county record office at Haverfordwest and have found out some things of interest.On the tithe map of around 1840 I found the mill just above the beach at Marloes known as Marloes Court Mill or Greenmire Mill.According to the 1841 census Tobias Codd snr was miller there.It shows the mill building and mill pond and also the cottage up the present track to the beach which is still there.The landowner was Edward (the honourable)Williams and the mill and some land was rented to Nathan James Dean.Perhaps he sub let the mill or employed Tobias Codd to run the mill.A later map showed Winsle Mill near Butterhill House where Tobias Codd was miller in 1851.It seems to be missing from later maps and I have traced no other occupiers.I also looked at a copy of a sale auction catalogue for a sale at the Mariners Hotel,Haverfordwest on 21st June 1919 .It was the sale of th Rickeston estate comprising Rickeston,Middle Rickeston,Rickeston Water,Little Rickeston,Lower Rickeston,And also the Upper and Lower Mills as one lot.The catalogue had been marked in pencil at the sale as the bidding progressed.The mills included 22acres,2 roods,31 perches of land,dwelling house,cowshed,stables and piggeries.The tenant was given as Tobias Codd paying a rent of £63 pa.He purchased the lot for £1000.Little Rickeston and 33acres currently tenanted by the representatives of James Devonald(deceased) was bought by Mrs Devonald for £1800.I also looked at a document of 1738 givig details of a property transfer between Nicholas Roch and his son George Roch of the Rickeston estate.He may have otherwise been known as Baron de Rutzen but I found it very hard to decipher and gave up.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 March 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is wanting to contact the coastlands history group mentioned previously I can pass on their contact details by PM

Offline SarahDevonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
The information is interesting John, and sounds as though you had a good search at the records office. I am trying to work out where James Devonald (deceased) fits into my tree, I will have to get my research out and have a look. Without a doubt he is from my own Devonald line but when there are so many of the same name it does get confusing.  :)

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
I've just booked at the Albion B&B to attend the Codds talk in Marloes on May 23rd (Wednesday). Hope to see you all then

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 April 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Content re-instated by moderator

I noticed from the 1911 Census that Tobias was now living in Upper Rickeston Mill. Not sure whether they moved home or just acquired more land. I didn't realise that they was a jetty near Lower Rickeston - but I can see with Google Earth that there is an inlet from the coast at that point

I can see a Sarah A Codd marrying a Richard John in 1913 - but no other marriages up to 1916 (the battle of Jutland) - and no obvious births for Arthur and Edward

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 29 April 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
   Mal,  Some info to correct previous info I gave on Greataunt Sarah.  Her husband was a Thomas James and he was serving on the Warrior when he was killed at Jutland.    The 2 sons were Arthur and Edward.   I have'nt yet got a date for the marraige or venue but it may have been in Herbrandston.    Be seeing you.