Author Topic: Parish records for Halls of Knocknaveagh, Munterconnaught, Cavan  (Read 16454 times)

Offline Davy Lane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Halls of Knocknaveagh, Munterconnaught, Cavan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 January 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
My mother is disappointed about Brexit and wants to get an Irish passport.  I was charged with finding and proving her grandparents were born in Ireland.

I did well on the maternal side, but found it hard on the paternal side.  The folklore had been that he was an American from Virginia.

I just now discovered the existence of a place called Virginia in County Cavan.  And then the pieces started to fall into place.  From burial records, I could deduce her grandfather, Thomas Hall, was born in 1877 in Knocknaveagh near Virginia in County Cavan.  His parents would have been William Hall and Mary Hall Whitley.

I look forward to any further insights on the Hall and Whitley families from the area.

Thank you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 January 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
My mother is disappointed about Brexit and wants to get an Irish passport.  I was charged with finding and proving her grandparents were born in Ireland.

I did well on the maternal side, but found it hard on the paternal side.  The folklore had been that he was an American from Virginia.

I just now discovered the existence of a place called Virginia in County Cavan.  And then the pieces started to fall into place.  From burial records, I could deduce her grandfather, Thomas Hall, was born in 1877 in Knocknaveagh near Virginia in County Cavan.  His parents would have been William Hall and Mary Hall Whitley.

I look forward to any further insights on the Hall and Whitley families from the area.

Thank you.

Oldcastle would be Registry Office..

Birth, Marriage and Death results for Hall of Oldcastle

Displaying results 1 - 48 of 48.  irishgenealogy

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01je4/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 January 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Name   THOMAS HALL
Date of Birth   1877
Group Registration ID   11251862
SR District/Reg Area   Oldcastle
Sex   N/R
Mother's Birth Surname   N/R

here he is...

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1877/03008/2102636.pdf

Offline Davy Lane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 January 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  My mother will be thrilled with this development.  Thomas Hall's namesake, my mother's cousin, is currently in a Liverpool hospital recovering from surgery.  They are the last two remaining Halls from the era.

I would love to arrange a trip to Virginia and Knocknaveagh for my mother, and her cousin Tom, if he is fit for a trip.

When is this famous Virginia Pumpkin festival?  That would be a perfect time to visit.  Her maternal side all hail from near Dundalk.  Her grandparents would have met in Liverpool in the late 1890s or early 1900s.

Offline Davy Lane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Seems to have been a death of a Thomas Hall, aged 8, in 1885, in the Oldcastle Civic Records list provided.  One would assume this equates to the child born in 1877.  I have my great grandfather, Thomas Hall. passing in 1920, aged 43.  Born also in 1877.  My link is perhaps more tenuous, i.e. that my great grandfather was said to have been from "Virginia".  That was always assumed to have been the Commonwealth of Virginia in United States.  We had never heard of Virginia in County Cavan and only this evening did I make that connection.  More scratching around to be done and a visit to be planned in the year ahead, I think.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Seems to have been a death of a Thomas Hall, aged 8, in 1885, in the Oldcastle Civic Records list provided.  One would assume this equates to the child born in 1877.  I have my great grandfather, Thomas Hall. passing in 1920, aged 43.  Born also in 1877. 
?

The Thomas I posted has the Parents you named!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
You posted

"Thomas Hall, was born in 1877 in Knocknaveagh near Virginia in County Cavan.  His parents would have been William Hall and Mary Hall Whitley......."

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile