Author Topic: Parish records for Halls of Knocknaveagh, Munterconnaught, Cavan  (Read 16442 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Halls of Knocknaveagh, Munterconnaught, Cavan
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have been to Knocknaveigh - I have a photo of the grave of William and Mary and their son James - unfortunately it is too large to attach but I can send to you by pm.
Erected by William Hall in loving memory of his wife Mary Hall who died 19 April 1919 aged 78 years and the above William Hall who fell asleep in Jesus 9 May 1926 aged 81 years .. James Hall died 19 Nov 1954 aged 70 years
I am descended from John Hall who is the brother of William and have a private tree on Ancestry which I am happy to share with you.
BRADBURY - Nottingham
ROBERT RICE - New Zealand
ELIZA COMFORT YATES - Staffordshire, England
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
HALL - Knocknaveigh, Cavan, Ireland
ALLEN/ALLAN - Tipperary, Ireland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline Davy Lane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Hallmark and Kiwi Jennie.  There is a lot to process. 

Attached is a Jpeg of my great grandfather's internment date in 1920.  He was 43 years old when he passed.  When I discovered this, I was able to deduce that 1877 was his birth year.  When I then learned earlier this week that there was a Virginia in Ireland, I found a Thomas Hall born in Cavan in 1877 in the Knocknaveagh hamlet near Virginia.  That seems to add up.  And the rumour he was an "American from Virginia" now seems to have been debunked.

One question I have is can I trust the LDS Family Search site with the accuracy of their information?  This was the site I first stumbled on and that said Thomas Hall was born on April 24th, 1877.  (Maria Hall seems to have been the same age.  Perhaps they were twins or Irish twins?)

I am told my great grandmother worked as housekeeper at her local diocese.  This probably meant she was a Roman Catholic.  However, their three sons were named: Thomas, George, and John (my Grandfather), first names that fit with the male offspring name of the William Hall line from Knocknaveagh.  I suppose it is possible Thomas Hall did not take his Church of Ireland associations with him to Liverpool and was content to have his children raised Catholics.  (I know from my Irish history that the Ne Temere decreee from Rome has been a seismic issue for Protestant in Ireland.  My late father was from Shandon district of Cork, so I am familiar with that dynamic.)

I will try to get my great grandparent marriage certificate from the Liverpool authorities.  I can only assume there were married in Liverpool in the early 1900s.  This should show Thomas Hall's place of birth.  If it is Cavan, then that should seal it.  Although I am not sure how to square the existence of the said Thomas Hall aged 8, who passed in 1885.  Who were his parents?  There seems to be a lot of Halls in that part of Ireland. I feel like I need to lay all the Halls from that era on to the kitchen table for clarity.

I do not have an account with this Ancestry organisation?  Maybe I should get one.  If it worthwhile?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Hallmark and Kiwi Jennie.  There is a lot to process. 

Attached is a Jpeg of my great grandfather's internment date in 1920.  He was 43 years old when he passed.  When I discovered this, I was able to deduce that 1877 was his birth year.  When I then learned earlier this week that there was a Virginia in Ireland, I found a Thomas Hall born in Cavan in 1877 in the Knocknaveagh hamlet near Virginia.  That seems to add up.  And the rumour he was an "American from Virginia" now seems to have been debunked.

One question I have is can I trust the LDS Family Search site with the accuracy of their information?  This was the site I first stumbled on and that said Thomas Hall was born on April 24th, 1877.  (Maria Hall seems to have been the same age.  Perhaps they were twins or Irish twins?)

I am told my great grandmother worked as housekeeper at her local diocese.  This probably meant she was a Roman Catholic.  However, their three sons were named: Thomas, George, and John (my Grandfather), first names that fit with the male offspring name of the William Hall line from Knocknaveagh.  I suppose it is possible Thomas Hall did not take his Church of Ireland associations with him to Liverpool and was content to have his children raised Catholics.  (I know from my Irish history that the Ne Temere decreee from Rome has been a seismic issue for Protestant in Ireland.  My late father was from Shandon district of Cork, so I am familiar with that dynamic.)

I will try to get my great grandparent marriage certificate from the Liverpool authorities.  I can only assume there were married in Liverpool in the early 1900s.  This should show Thomas Hall's place of birth.  If it is Cavan, then that should seal it.  Although I am not sure how to square the existence of the said Thomas Hall aged 8, who passed in 1885.  Who were his parents?  There seems to be a lot of Halls in that part of Ireland. I feel like I need to lay all the Halls from that era on to the kitchen table for clarity.

I do not have an account with this Ancestry organisation?  Maybe I should get one.  If it worthwhile?

Why do you want to trust/distrust LDS when you have the actual State Registration entry with Image???

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
"....not sure how to square the existence of the said Thomas Hall aged 8, who passed in 1885.  Who were his parents?..."

What difference does it make when I've given you YOUR Thomas WITH CORRECT PARENTS??????????

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
"...great grandmother worked as housekeeper at her local diocese.  This probably meant she was a Roman Catholic..."

WHY?????

When Census shows their Religion!!!!!

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Mary and William stated at 1911 census that they had 10 children with 7 still living. Including Thomas I have only got 3 definitely dead at that date but with some of the other siblings whereabouts not known. Do you have names of the daughters - Maria and Harriet are family names I think. You are right to be wary of LDS as it is member input and there are some errors. William's brother John who came to NZ married a RC and they are buried in the presbyterian section of the cemetery. William's sister Maria went to USA with her husband William Nash - I'm not sure about her religion. Ancestry is a great tool. Your jpeg didn't load - I would love to see it. I will pm you my personal email.
Sorry if this is a little disjointed - heading out and wanted to reply - will look further tonight.
BRADBURY - Nottingham
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Also Maria was born in 1875 - not 1877  8)
BRADBURY - Nottingham
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
May be of interest   Probate of John Bertram died 1860 of Eighter, Virginia Co Cavan,his 2nd wife was Margaret Whitley,two daughters also mentions Charles Whitley of Eighter,Virginia.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/wr/details.jsp?id=IRE/ORIG/WILL/REG/25873/2

may be same Charles
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jec/