Author Topic: Parish records for Halls of Knocknaveagh, Munterconnaught, Cavan  (Read 16396 times)

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Halls of Knocknaveagh, Munterconnaught, Cavan
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 02 February 17 01:18 GMT (UK) »
The two Williams are cousins. One married Mary Whitley and the other married Ellen Bower. I have only been able to find one child for William and Ellen - her name is Maria. Although she is born in Dec 1874 her birth is registered in 1875. William and Mary also have a daughter in 1875 called Mary. It is possible that William and Ellen have a son called Thomas - just haven't been able to find any record to date ... hope this is helping you Davy ...
BRADBURY - Nottingham
ROBERT RICE - New Zealand
ELIZA COMFORT YATES - Staffordshire, England
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
HALL - Knocknaveigh, Cavan, Ireland
ALLEN/ALLAN - Tipperary, Ireland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 February 17 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Davy needs to come back with some info.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Davy Lane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 02 February 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the great leg work, Hallmark and Kiwi Jennie.

As I said earlier, I made a tenuous connection to County Cavan because my great grandfather, Thomas Hall, had been rumoured to have come from Virginia.  The family had all assumed this was the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States.  I recently discovered verifiable proof of his age at the time of his burial in Liverpool.  He was interned on March 18th, 1920, aged 43.  This means he was likely born in 1877 or 1878.  The first internet search I did with a focus on County Cavan revealed the LDS site, which showed a Thomas Hall born on April 24th, 1877, born to William Hall and Mary Whitney, in placed called Knocknaveagh.  A google showed of Knocknaveagh showed it close to Virginia.  It all seemed to add up.  Other incidental facts seemed to loosely corroborate this.  Thomas Hall had four children we know of.  Thomas, George, John (my grandfather born in 1907) and Mary (who passed as a 6 month old in 1916), all first names common in the William and Mary family tree. 

I remained cautious, however, because before hearing of this place Virginia, Cavan, I had initially been looking for a Thomas Hall in England and in Virginia, USA.  There were scores of them in 1877-78. I was also cautious because when looking for Thomas Hall's wife, my maternal great grandmother, there were scores of Coburns in the Dundalk area.

My first doubt came when I discovered the death certificate (but no image) of a Thomas Hall, aged 8, in the oldcastle registry.  My second doubt came I realised the Thomas Hall born on April 24th, 1877 was to a Church of Ireland family.  I know for a fact that my maternal great grandmother from Dundalk and who lived into her 90s had been a Roman Catholic.  Thomas Hall was ultimately buried in a Catholic grave.  He could have converted or his faith could have been irrelevant to him, but I know that the time Liverpool was horribly divided on sectarian lines.  It was possible he met an Ulster woman of another faith and allowed the children to be Catholics, but I suspect this would have been a difficult business at that time.

I am trying to get the marriage certificate of my great grandparents, from the Liverpool registry.  It is difficult because I do not have a definite year.  I can only guess they were married between 1895 and 1905.  There is also no proof there were married in Liverpool.  If I do get this document, it should note the place and county of Thomas Hall's birth.

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Good luck in finding the marriage certificate   8)
BRADBURY - Nottingham
ROBERT RICE - New Zealand
ELIZA COMFORT YATES - Staffordshire, England
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
HALL - Knocknaveigh, Cavan, Ireland
ALLEN/ALLAN - Tipperary, Ireland