Author Topic: Thomas Gordon, Dundalk & Belfast  (Read 13854 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gordon, Dundalk & Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for additional details. Thomas Ramsey, father of Robert Dawson & Thomas, worked for railway so that makes sense.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Brendan,
Thanks for the information ! Thomas b. 1873 lines up perfectly with the census information for my great-grandfather. He was a blacksmith, so an iron moulder father makes sense as well.
Cheers, and thanks again,
Gordon

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I see the marriage particulars of some of the siblings. Any chance that there is a marriage record for Thomas Gordon and Elizabeth Rodgers,c 1902 ?
Additionally, are the date notations in the earlier post mm/dd/year, or dd/mm/ year ?

Thanks,
Gordon Madill
U.S.A

Offline ginealas

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 12 01:54 GMT (UK) »
There's a civil reg. for a marriage (Thomas Gordon) in the reg. dist. of Dundalk 1907 but at this stage I feel I'm talking to myself. :)

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 12 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Just curious - could  the 1911 census and the registered marriage you referenced be the same one ? 1911 said they had been married eight years.
Gordon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 March 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
There's a civil reg. for a marriage (Thomas Gordon) in the reg. dist. of Dundalk 1907

Jan./Mar.1907 Dundalk registration district volume 2 page 659
Thomas Gordon
Emma Elizabeth J.K. McCredy

This is more likely to be the correct marriage:
July/Sept.1902 Belfast registration district volume 1 page 408
Thomas Gordon, son of Hugh
Lillie Rodgers* (Lillian, daughter of Joseph according to one source but Lillie is probably correct)

* Lillie is often a nickname for Elizabeth and remember that 1911 census gives Elizabeth's birthplace as Co.Down
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 March 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all of these details. The little bit that I know of his wife is that she lived in or was born in Bessbrook, near Newry.
One of her brothers was named Joseph, so having a father by that name os certaknly feasible. As you point out, she very well could have gone by any number of variations of Elizabeth.

Cheers,
Gordon

Offline Dundalkian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 May 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Possibly a bit late joining this thread. I may be the great grandson aghadowey was referring to earlier.
I did some Family Tree research a few years ago then work took me away from it for a while.

Anyway, we have Gordon's in our Family tree and we also have the story of the Gordon Family that lost their lives in the Blitz. I'm not 100% certain but the story passed down to us was that the Gordon's went to the local air raid shelter and the shelter took a direct hit. Their house was the only one on their street to survive the shelling and the Family dog that was left in the house was passed onto the Ramsey relatives. 
I do need to check this story as there are slight variations depending on which Uncle/Cousin talks about it.
Elizabeth Gordon would be my 2nd Great Aunt & Margaret Gordon would be my Great Grandmother (as they married brothers).
From what I could find Margaret & Eizabeth's parents were Hugh Gordon & Maria Keiran. ( This is a recent addition to my Family tree so I'm open to correction).
The name Gordon ( as a first or 2nd name) has been passed down through some generations of my family.
Elizabeth remarried in Dundalk in 1908 as Thomas had passed away .