Author Topic: Greatrex Stafford lost records?  (Read 5948 times)

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Greatrex Stafford lost records?
« on: Tuesday 06 March 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census has William Greatrex (transcribed as Granige) age 30 shoe maker, Catherine (30) William (10) and John (3) at Church Lane, Stafford St Mary.

Ages are probably rounded so baptism of William and Catherine would be about 1806-1811, but I can't find a likely record.  I note there is a gap in the IGI records for Stafford St Mary between 1809 and 1813; are these lost are does someone have access to these?

Equally, I can't find any of the family in the 1851 Census, though I have found the sons later on.  I have found in-laws named Shocklidge in 1851 in the shoe making area, which is where Greatrex ought to be.

I can't find William or Catherine after 1841, though possible deaths in 1858 and 1862 respectively.

The image below shows what I know so far.

Any help gratefully received.
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Greatrex Stafford lost records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I have from the Freemen of the borough of Stafford by Jack Kemp

William Greatrex admitted 6th July 1852 the son of William & Catherine Greatrix (1826) he was dead by 1884.

William Greatrix admitted 8th June 1826 signed the "Freeman's" petition in 1836 lived in Union buildings in 1837

Walter William Greatrix admitted 1st July 1909 of Little Bridgeford, he claimed his freedom as a grandson of William Greatrix (1852)

Thomas Shocklidge Greatrix admitted 1st July 1880 of 17 Grey Friars Place. Received a charity grant in 1915

John Greatrix admitted 1st July 1885 48 Foregate St. Received a charity grant in 1915

John Smith Greatrix son of William Greatrix (1826) admitted 15th July 1859. He was dead by Dec 1892

Arthur Greatrix admitted 4th July 1905 5 Bridge st. Sworn as grandson of William Greatrix (1852)

Arthur Greatrix admitted 2nd July 1883 41 Co-operative st. Dead by Dec 1918
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Freemen were not admitted before the age of 21 so that would place William senior around 1805/6
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I should also mention that the Stafford St Mary records are complete for the years you want but not transcribed.
Also there are Electoral roles available for the early 1830's and Parish Apprenticeships. It sounds like William senior became a freeman by servitude which would mean that the family were probably not originally in the borough. 
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
If you check the Stafforshire names index you will find and apprentice record for
William Greatrex of Castlechurch aged 8 yrs apprenticed to Charles Boult, Cordwainer of Stafford until the age of 21 yrs Apprenticeship date is 30 Oct 1813
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Churches in the parish of Castlechurch, Stafford

"The parish Church, St Lawrence, stands at Deanshill, near the Castle, and was a very ancient structure, in the Norman style, but was rebuilt in 1844, in the same style. It had previously undergone many repairs.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles H Aitkens, MA.
St Paul's Church, Forebridge was built in 1844 for the chapelry district of Forebridge, and is a handsome cruciform structure, in the early decorated style, crowned by a fine statue of St Paul, and having a bell turret.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the incumbent of Castle Church, and is now held by the Rev Edward Allen, MA
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Shocklidge are my part of the family.
Have we made contact before?  As I have a contact who is researching the Greatex families .

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Shocklidge are my part of the family.
Have we made contact before?  As I have a contact who is researching the Greatex families .
Also the name appears as Grattidge.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 12 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  Very helpful indeed.  All points to birth around 1805, not necessarily in Stafford Borough.

A perpetual difficulty with Greatrex is the diversity of spellings and quite fanciful mistranscriptions, but also whether similar names such as Greatridge and Grattidge are not the same as Greatrex or just some official's interpretation.

Suzy, I don't think we have connected before, but have you made any progress with this?

I only picked this up to see if there was any clear connection to my ancestors who go back another 100 years or more in Longdon and I feel sure that those who have connected this William to that family are either wrong or missing the key bit of evidence.

On with the chase!
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.