Author Topic: Harriet DICKINSON MARKWELL BUTLER HUGHES bu with SUNNERDALE Qld  (Read 4925 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet DICKINSON MARKWELL BUTLER HUGHES bu with SUNNERDALE Qld
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 September 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
almost there!
I now have d certificates for William Absolom Hughes, Harriet's 3rd husband, and Thomas Butler d 1890, her 2nd husband. The registry people narrowed down the last 4 Thomas Butlers for me. Both her 2nd and her 3rd husbands were mariners and both are buried in Dunwich Benevolent Asylum Cemetery. I need to visit the archives again for more Dunwich info.
(Oscar) Robert Sunnerdale's relationship to her is still a mystery. I think I might have to get his certificate too but will try a bit more first. He seems to be the father of Reuben Robert, who was the father of Cyril John, plus I think Ruth and maybe a Maureen and an Ada. I think the answer might lie in Maryborough, the burial place of Reuben Robert, his wife Ella Mundey, many of Robert's children & their families from his wife Marianne née Orton's first marriage to William Ely Walding and some of Harriet's children & their families from her first marriage to Thomas Markwell. From the archives, Thomas Butler was admitted to Dunwich Benevolent Asylum 14 Oct 1884 from Maryborough Hospital.
Thanks again.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
one more note (not quite closed yet): I now have Oscar Robert Sunnerdale's death certificate. He was definitely buried 14 Sep 1923 South Brisbane, as was the Robert Sunnerdale buried with my Harriet. I believe it was the same person. Reuben Robert, his son (only child listed), was the informant and gave Oscar's birthplace as Landskrona, Sweden. By the time of his death Oscar Robert was 70y, had been in Qld about 22y and was a night watchman, but before that in the Australian Electoral Rolls he was a mariner 1905 and 1908 in Maryborough, and in 1913 in Oxley Division in Brisbane. He had married in Maryborough, 1900 from Qld bdm. It seems his wife Mary Anne, from Qld bdm and the Trove article above, died in Maryborough in 1912 and then he must have moved to Brisbane.
The mystery of the connection remains though. Harriet had children both in Maryborough and in Brisbane.
 I think I need to look at Maryborough hospital records, if they are somehow accessible, for Thomas Butler in 1884 and Mary Anne Sunnerdale in 1912.
Thanks for all your previous help.

Offline BecP77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I am too looking into the sunnerdale family history as I am a sunnerdale and would love to connect with you and see if we can help each other

Regards
rebecca

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi rebecca,
good to see your post
I don't know much more, I don't think, than what I've put here. Was there sailing involved?

Offline BecP77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I’ve been told that he came over by boat I have the records here will find the dates