Author Topic: Harriet DICKINSON MARKWELL BUTLER HUGHES bu with SUNNERDALE Qld  (Read 4929 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet DICKINSON MARKWELL BUTLER HUGHES bu with SUNNERDALE Qld
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 12 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Harriet had, I believe, 18 children from her 1st marriage & 1 from her 2nd. 

I have lots on Harriet (and other variations) & her 1st husband Thomas Markwell

As none of these 18 children seem to be born in Qld, I can only assume that the source of your information is her death certificate or a listing of the births in ENGLAND between 1840 and 1863... when MARKWELL died.

The child from the marriage to BUTLER was Susannah.

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Electoral rolls show 3  men with name Robert SUNNERDALE in Qld in 1st half of C20

Oscar Robert SUNNERDALE in Brisbane South 1913.  His death is on Qld BMD 1923, parents Peter SUNNERDALE, Engri PETERSEN

Robert SUNNERDALE, in Maryborough (Granville) 1913, mariner
                               Brisbane Nth, sailmaker, 1921
                               Maree, seaman, 1925
I do not see him again, nor do I see him on the QLD death index up to 1964.  No-one else of same surname at any of his addresses.

Reuben Robert SUNNERDALE is on the electoral rolls up to 1980 - end of my access.

Do you have a date of burial for the man in the grave? 

Adding the reference which you have already explored - QLD BMD death index
1912/C3179   
Mary Anne   SUNNERDALE   
Parents; Reuben Orton, Mary Anne Cain

As well as the Reuben Robert who served in WW2 there must have been an earlier man of the same name as he is listed as father in this death:
1944/C526
Cyril John   Sunnerdale   
Parents: Reuben Robert   Ella Frances Mundey

Sorry - not much help  :(

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.
Oscar Robert is also on the Qld archives index of naturalisations and some Ortons and Waldings are on that immigration index too. I can piece together quite a lot about the families from my last post just through Qld bdm, but it seems to be a block for me in terms of Harriet. I really would like to know more about her life in general, and it's the part after Thomas that is really difficult to find anything about.
I have Harriet's and Thomas's death certs, plus main sources of info Lincs to the Past, freeukgen, cemetery searches here, family search and several collections like Ian's genealogy page, ancestors of a qld family from freepages rootsweb, several world connect ones, genforum and family gdavis id au. I have also visited Qld and Brisbane libraries and have remote access to the Australian library.
I reach an end with the Butlers with Susannah. The one with Reuben could possibly be a sister -in-law of his, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
1923, Judith was the date of burial for ROBERT.
Sunnerdale, Robert. Age  Unknown.  1923 at South Brisbane Brisbane.

1923/B41001 Oscar Robert Sunnerdale
Parents-
Peter Sunnerdale
Engri Petersen
This link is to the obituary of Mrs Robert SUNNERDALE of MARYBOROUGH who had been married twice before and from her previous marriage to WALDING had 4 children.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/19833906?searchTerm="robert
sunnerdale"&searchLimits=

1912/C3179 Mary Anne Sunnerdale
Parents   
Reuben Orton   
Mary Anne Cain

Sue

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
About Thomas Butler, the most probable deaths I can find on the Qld bdm in terms of time are 1890/C3251 Thomas Butler Thomas Butler Mary Jennings and
1893/B25992 Thomas Butler Richard Butler Josephine Lenzbouer
There are actually 10 deaths of a Thomas Butler on the Qld bdm between Susannah's birth in 1866 and Harriet's 2nd marriage in 1893.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 March 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
searchr,

Does the Death certificate you have for Harriett specifically say she and BUTLER had one child and name her as SUSANNAH?

Sue

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 12 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sue. It gives her age as 39 at Harriet's death.
It also gives the marriage place for Thomas Butler and Harriet as Brisbane. A family search ancestral file gives the marriage place as Alpha. I know that's less reliable, but it's interesting.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 March 12 05:17 GMT (UK) »
have narrowed down the 10 Thomas Butler death possibilities to 6: 4 went because I found their births as well & they were too young at their death to have married. Those 4 were from 1868, 1874, 1875 (/B9715) & 1883. The 6 left are the 2 Thomas Butlers from the previous post about this: d in 1890 & 1893, plus 1875/ C126 that just says Thomas Butler, 1882/ C772 whose parents were John Butler & Mary O'Keeffe, 1882/ C560 whose parents were Charles Butler & Maria Scarborough & the Thomas Butler who d in 1888/ C47 aged 55y.
I found a Trove article about the Thomas who d in 1893:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3560456?searchTerm=Butler&searchLimits=l-decade=189|||l-year=1893|||l-category=Family+Notices
Trove Australia: The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933) Saturday 27 May 1893 p 4/ 8
DEATH.
BUTLER.-On the 11th May, at the Brisbane General
Hospital, of heart disease. Thomas, the eldest and dearly beloved son of Richard and Josephine Butler, of Enoggera, aged 87 years.
May he rest in peace.
 (1893/B25992 Thomas Butler Richard Butler Josephine Lenzbouer (37y The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933) Saturday 27 May 1893 p 4/  Tv 3560456)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 September 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
I've now worked out more about William Hughes, Harriet's 3rd husband. It turns out, hopefully, that he's William Absolom Hughes, with variations in the spelling of Absolom e.g. Absalom. In freebmd he's William John Absolem Hughes, b 1840 in Liverpool. Online parish clerks have him in St Peter's parish in Liverpool Central. I believe from there and from Qld bdm that he died in 1912 in Qld and that his parents were Thomas Maudley Hughes & Mary McGOWAN. Their marriage is in online parish clerks Lancashire, too, and I believe also at least his father's birth. It looks like both he and his father were mariners. I will hopefully get his death certificate, too, now that I think I have his Qld bdm death. I might be able to see if all this is true, plus how he got to Qld & any previous marriages. Thanks for all your help so far. I still haven't worked out Thomas Butler, or Robert Sunnerdale.