Author Topic: Dingleton Hospital Melrose  (Read 13102 times)

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dingleton Hospital Melrose
« on: Wednesday 07 March 12 09:29 GMT (UK) »

If someone died at Dingleton hospital in 1918, where would they
be interred after they passed away?

If perhaps family did not know they were there? Or if the family's
whereabouts was unknown...in the days pre Telephones, Computers, and ordinary folk not owning a Car???

Aitch
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dingleton Hospital Melrose
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
probably returned to the family if known, however try the Weird Cemetery at Melrose, its about a mile away.

today the BGH have a plot at the cemetery for the burial of still born baby.  so, it could be likely that Dingleton had something similar.  or try the other cemeteries in Melrose and around Melrose.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I love the idea of Weird Cemetery - sounds like something out of a Stephen King horror story - but I think you mean Wairds Cemetery.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1542561

Harry

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:18 GMT (UK) »
A person dying in Dingleton Hospital, Melrose could be buried anywhere in the Borders because I used to be the Asylum for the folk in the Borders.   Just a thought.   I know I had a great Uncle die there back in the 1960's and he is interred in the Heatheryett, Galashiels.

Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Records for dingle ton hospital are held by Edinburgh university but only certified relatives can get access to their relatives records and obviously place of burial .i understand it's not easy but worthwhile. I know a lady who traced the death of her aunt who was placed there for having an illigitamite baby at 16  and was there till she died about 40yrs later!
Alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline 57Jane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
I had a relative who died there in 1917 and she was buried at Wairds Cemetery in Melrose.  The death certificate gave the place of internment and the local authority (Scottish Borders Council) were extremely helpful in locating the plot within the cemetery where she was buried as there was no headstone.

Offline cerip23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
We've recently found out that one of Suzy's possible relations was a patient there was back in 1891 when it was known as the Roxburgh District Lunatic Asylum.

We have got in touch with the Lothian & Borders Health Services Archive and they are going to trac down the patients records for us.

Great help they were if anyone is wanting to do the same thing.
OSSOP, HOPE, GEGGIE, PEARCE, PIERCE, PIEARCE, DABRY, PLUSE, EDAWRDS, TUDUR/TUDOR, VAUGHAN, YEOMANS, LOGAN

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
aitchscot. For your info Wairds Cemetery has now been recorded by Selkirk Antiquarian Society and available from them on CD or from Masons bookstore, Market Square melrose.Its a large cemetery with about 1400 headstones .
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know whether there were any other hospitals or nursing homes in the vicinity of Melrose in the late 1930s/early 1940s? I ask because my Dad's grandmother suffered a head injury after being hit by a car in the streets of Edinburgh around this time, and ended up in "a nursing home" (no names were mentioned) at Melrose, as she never fully recovered. She died there in December 1940, and was buried in one of the churchyards nearby, though I don't know which one. Having done a bit of digging, I fully suspect that she was actually at Dingleton, but I thought I'd check for alternatives before I jumped to conclusions.