Author Topic: de Villiers, Louis Valentine, Paarl or Wynberg, Cape Colony. 1870s  (Read 5237 times)

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: de Villiers, Louis Valentine, Paarl or Wynberg, Cape Colony. 1870s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Ruth,

Thank you for the further information.

One of the New Zealand connections is drafting a letter to an address for the 4th Baron de Villiers (J H de Villiers being the first) whom I presume still resides in NZ so we wait in anticipation.

John
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline saddlehill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: C.W De Villiers. Attorney General Pretoria in 1913.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for books about JH in New Zealand but there are none available and the only bio I can find on line is Wikipedia and that's not much help. I spoke to Louis' widow in the 1970's (she died in 1975) but she said it was all too long ago and refused to give any information. Thinking about this recently I wondered about the possiblity of Louis being illegitimate. Here is the full advertisement C.W. de Villiers placed in the Press (Christchurch, New Zealand. 14 July 1913) Wanted- Should this meet the eye of LOUIS VALENTINE DE VILLIERS (Hon. Val) of Wynberg, South Africa, or anyone knowing his whereabouts. Left London about seven years ago for Australia. Information as to his whereabouts will be gratefully received. About 30 years of age, height 5ft 11in, dark complexion, speaks several languages fluently. C.W. DE VILLIERS.813 Attorney-General, Pretoria, South Africa.

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

I have not been able to find any record so far of Louis de Villiers leaving the UK or arriving in Australia or NZ in the time frame mentioned in the advert for him.
One of the wrinkles to resolve is that Louis is described as being 5'11" tall in the advert, whereas his NZ Army records him as 5' 7 1/2" on his discharge in 1916.

John

Offline saddlehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 06:47 GMT (UK) »
The mistake in Louis' height could just be human error. I'm not reading too much into it. Because South Africa was a British colony at the time he arrived in New Zealand the only way to track his arrival would be via shipping records. Tasha and I are going to Christchurch in a couple of weeks so will look into this.

Offline saddlehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 06:59 GMT (UK) »
 Hi John,
There is a book in the Victoria State Library called "Geneologies of old South African Families" written by C. C. De Villiers. It has been completely revised by C. Pama 1966. It's in 3 volumes. I could not get it interloaned because it is a geneology resource. Do you have access to that library. Otherwise I could ask them to look in it for me to see if there is information about Louis.
Regards
Annette

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

I have sent a PM (Personal Message) to you that you shoud find at the top of the page.
Regards,
John

Offline mei1901

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 06:58 GMT (UK) »
After careful research there is no birth record for Louis De Villiers either Pretoria, Wnyberg or the Paarl. He married Evelyn Jeffrey in 1916. I note on one record he claims his next of kin is Envelyn De Villiers, Daarl. Absolute nonsense

Grand mother stated to me in her own words that Louis was not a good man, that he was a womaniser, but would not elaborate further.

I put is to you that the name Louis Valentine De Villiers is a assumed or fake name to impress the women me met, after all he is described in his join up record that he was a bushman. My father told me that Louis was a farm labourer.

I see on another comment he claims he was an Army General, caught up as rebel but the records for that time do not list him as a prisoner of the Boer War.

His son Monty claimed that his father Louis was related to the Attorney General of South Africa which also turned out to be nonsense.

So again it is suggested that the name of Louis Valentine De Villiers is a fake name, I suggest the name is just a carefully assumed name with a lot of fanciful story telling, conjured up to impress the many women, after all be did have a woman in the Chathan Islands sharing the name of De Villiers.This information was obtain form letters written between the two women that is Evelyn De Villiers and has counterpart in the Chatham Islands.

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 December 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear mei1901,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Since your reply I have been going back through all the information I have on Louis Valentine DeVilliers.
Like yourself, I have not been able to find any record of him in South Africa or elsewhere for that matter.
His first appearance in New Zealand as Louis DeVilliers is in the 1911 Electoral Roll although it is possible the Charles DeVilliers mentioned in the 1909 accidental gunshot wound to himself could also be him.
You mention the Chatham Island letters, I have only seen a typed copy of one of the letters to DeV, dated 1911 and signed by Leila DeVilliers. This is of course several years before his marriage to Evelyn Jeffery.

You mention letters “between the two women”. Are there other letters?

Would it be possible to contact you further via the Personal Message facility on Rootschat and go in to a little more detail.
In order for this to happen I think you have to send at least another two posts in this Forum.
If you just send another two short messages that will make up the three posts required and then I can send you a Personal Message containing my email address.

I would like to find a little more about the “Missing Friends” advert placed in the New Zealand paper in 1913 from South Africa seeking information on Louis Valentine De Villiers from C W DeVilliers.

I am happy to provide you with all the information that I have although it sounds like you may have compiled as much of and more than I have. Particularly on the personal side.

Best regards and hoping you will reply,

John.