Author Topic: Blane or Blain  (Read 8154 times)

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blane or Blain
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 March 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
O.K. Kids ARE
Mary Ann
Ellen Priscilla
William S or T, so I am guessing it is the "Smith"

I have NY State census records for them in 92 & 1905.

We got the name "Blane/Blain" from word of mouth from the family. Mary Ann is my father-in-law's grandmother. She died the year I was born. I remember asking my mother-in-law if she got to meet her (as we live in OH & they lived in NY)... she said she had & thought a lot of her.

So... my friends, it could be the "Bram or Brain" misspelled. Moses "Adolphus" went by "Adolphus'" when he was younger... most likely b/c his father was Moses, also. From what I can tell, once out of the family nest & on his own, he used his first name of "Moses."

Your Bram, makes sense, as the 1881 census says "Little" something, "Glous" ... you can't read it b/c the census marks are right over her birth place. I will check out your "Bram" ...... you may have just hit the nail on the head!!

Thanks all!! I am soooo excited!!
Watkins:
Llanbeder, Brecon - Llantillo Crosseney, Monmouth
Bates: Longney, Glouc
Brain: Little Dean, Glouc
Sykes: Herforshire - Llanbedr, Brecon

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:16 GMT (UK) »

The Leah in Littledean is the daughter of Anthony and Rosanna Brain. There is a big family of Brain in the area.
  Like Trish I am really struggling to find her marriage to Moses but will keep playing and see what turns up.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Found record where someone in family did research several years ago. I will check, but now I am guessing they knew the "sound" of what Leah's maiden name was, found that it says that 16 months lafter Moses immigrated, that Leah followed.

Says they went to Huntington, Canada before moving to NY... This may help, too. Says Ellen married someone named "Murphy"

Any luck finding a marriage for Leah Brain??? I found somewhere it is also spelled Brayn. Would that be pronouced ... like the thing in your head or closer to how "Brian" is pronounced??
Watkins:

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 March 12 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Leah, daughter of Anthony & Rosana or Rose Anna.... also had a daughter Roseanna (or whatever)

1871 census has Leah "Brian" living in Awe w/a sister. Birth place fits.

Charles Griffith 22
Roseanna Griffith 23
Mary Griffith 1
Leah Brian 20

Same census, there is an Adolphus Bates living in Frampton on Severn, as a servant in the Turner household.

Aren't these places fairly close to one another? Possibly this is how they met & married.
Watkins:

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
O.K. all... am sooo excited!! I mentioned that I would follow up if I were to get verification.

You were CORRECT - Leah's maiden name was BRAIN & not Blane!! I was able to get Leah & Moses' daughter... who is our next in line.... her DEATH CERTIFICATE.

Low & behold.... mother's name.... Leah BRAIN!!! You are are fantastic!!

The 'good thing' was, that poor Mary Ann died in Ohio while visiting one of her sons. She was buried in New York with her husband Tom Watkins.

Leah Brain Bates & her husband, Moses Bates.... parents of Mary Ann... also, died in NY state.

Unfortunately, their records are not easy to get. I called last week to try and get information to obtain death certificate..... If they died 'at home' then records would be one place, "in hospital" another, etc. So, even though all these little 'burgs' are nestled together, there is not central place for their certificates.

Thank you, Great Grandma Mary Ann, for passing while 'vacationing' away from New York! LOL
Watkins:

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a central place for New York state vital records - http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm.  However, it is a long wait for genealogy requests - I recently received 2 records that I ordered in June, 2011.

If you have a 5-year time frame and idea of the town where the person died in New York state, you could request a look-up of the death index as described here:  http://www.unyg.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/new-york-state-vital-records-microfiche-indexes-update/  I believe the index includes death records that are at least 50 years old.  That look-up should give you the town where the death occurred, and you should be able to order the record directly from them.

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information, Shelly!

I called a few weeks ago to the local court house about getting records for their son-in-law, Thomas Watkins.. Mary Ann's husband. They were friendly but were the ones who told me how 'difficult' it was to get them if I didn't know exactly where the person died... even if it was in their county.

I will check these sites out right away. Appreciate your help!

Charlotte
Watkins: