Author Topic: McConaghy Family in Articlave  (Read 11330 times)

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McConaghy Family in Articlave
« on: Friday 09 March 12 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help in locating John McConaghy or his wife Nancy (McClaughling) McConaghy near Articlave or Bratwell. Also how do I best contact church, birth, death records? I'm from USA and new to searching?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McConaghy Family in Articlave
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 12 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Any idea of dates?
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 12 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The IGI, part of familysearch.org, has four children of what may be your couple, John McConaghy and Ann (Nancy) McLAUGHLIN. The children were born in the Coleraine area.
13 Dec 1867 Mary Ann
25 Sept 1870 Annie
10 Apr 1873 Mary
27 Oct 1880 Elizabeth.

If the marriage took place before 1864 and the couple were Roman Catholic the marriage would not have had a Civil Registration and children born before 1864 would also not have been registered.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I know so much more after a year of piecing this together.  John McConaghy and Ann (Nancy) McLAUGHLIN- I've verify through census for 1901 and 1911.  Now looking for location of house.  It is shown in the census at #12 Bratwell(Downhill, Londonderry). I know about were this is located via Google map and having visited the area several years ago.  Does anyone know how to get a map of the area for 1901 that would show maps and house locations?  The family is Presbyterian. I would like to locate any other relatives from that era.  How could I access church records and/or cemetery records.  The site maybe near Castlerock on the ocean to the north, Articlave and Downhill to the west.  Any thoughts as to whom I can contact?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 13 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Looks like your John and Nancy in 1901- 12 is merely the enumerator's number on the census form-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Downhill/Bratwell/1517548
and in 1911- married 44 years, 13 children/11 living-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Downhill/Bratwell/588545

Some of the children-
Mary Ann (1867) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPYZ-BL5
Annie (1870) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP7Q-L2X
           1911 widow Millen with 2 daughters in parents' household
Robert (22 in 1901)
Thomas (22 in 1901)
Elizabeth/Lizzie (1880)
Maggie (16 in 1901)
          Could Margaret Jane be their daughter? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KC41-M5V
Alexander (13 in 1901)
Samuel (8 in 1901)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annecampbellmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 March 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
hhi,, i seam to be researching the same family, tho new to this , my grandfather was alexander mc conaghie/mc conaghy/maconaghie, parents john and nancy from bratwell, by googleing 1st dunboe presbyterian church i found the baptism records of all nancy and johns children, including my grandfather alexander, i have photos of his brither samuel moody mc conaghie and lillie or elizabeth millen. i dont know where they are all buried but imagine it must be dunboe parish graveyard, according to their marriage cert, john and nancy were married 27th august 1867, she was 19 yrs old and her father was robert mc glaughlin, a tailor, his father was james a weaver. would love to hear if you have any further info, anne, ps i live in dublin, ireland

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 March 14 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Anne- very nice to hear from you. I am very interested in learning more! I believe that John McConaghy is your Alexander's brother. John is my grandfather who immigrated to Rock Island, Illinois USA with brother Robert and sister Margaret Jane (Maggie). John and Nancy McConaghy would be my great grandfather and grandmother. They show up in the Census but I don't know much more. This is my greatest search interest. Others siblings of John, Robert, Margaret Jane and your Alexander would be Annie, Hannah, James, Mary, Samuel, Thomas, and Elizabeth. I know that they lived near Castle Rock.

So, what about John and Nancy McConaghy? I will ok for the church site that you mention. I'm very certain that the family is Presbyterian. How could I find the church and burial records? How could I get the copy of the marriage certificate. Then, lots of questions about the McGlaughlin family.

Please let me know that you receive this message. I am very excited about the contact. All of my McConaghy family is gone now. You are my only contact, so I very much appreciate any help.  I live in Illinois, USA.

Thanks,

Dan

[quoteauthor=annecampbellmurphy link=topic=586172.msg5247214#msg5247214 date=1394311143]
hhi,, i seam to be researching the same family, tho new to this , my grandfather was alexander mc conaghie/mc conaghy/maconaghie, parents john and nancy from bratwell, by googleing 1st dunboe presbyterian church i found the baptism records of all nancy and johns children, including my grandfather alexander, i have photos of his brither samuel moody mc conaghie and lillie or elizabeth millen. i dont know where they are all buried but imagine it must be dunboe parish graveyard, according to their marriage cert, john and nancy were married 27th august 1867, she was 19 yrs old and her father was robert mc glaughlin, a tailor, his father was james a weaver. would love to hear if you have any further info, anne, ps i live in dublin, ireland
[/quote]

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Anne- just checking in to see if you might have received my last post.

Dan

Offline MyFamilyTreeSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, 

I seem to be searching for the same information, perhaps on the same family.  Margaret Jane McConaghy married my Great Grandfather, Leander David in 1910, and my Grandfather, Benjamin John David was born June 3, 1911.  They had a second son, George, I believe in 1914 or so, but George died at the age of 12, and I do not know why.  I understand she came to the States through Canada and Detroit.  I was do not know who she may have been traveling with at the time and have been unable to find any immigration information so far. 

Her son - my grandfather -  Benjamin John David, married Delores Elizabeth Meeker - and they moved out to California in the 1940's.   Delores, was either born in Marshalltown or Davenport - I don't have my notes in front of me (they are packed away I need to find them), but she and my grandfather were from those towns, I just can't recall which one was from which town off hand. 

I am aware of and I have pictures of both John and Nancy (McLaughlin) McConaghy, but that is all the info I have about them.  I used to have info farther back but it was lost 30 years ago while relocating.

Does any of this match anything you have found regarding your family?  Anyone is welcome to copies of the pix I have if you do not have any, if this is the same family tree. 

Thanks,
Dianna