Author Topic: Could she have been born in SEATON Parish?  (Read 9141 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Could she have been born in SEATON Parish?
« on: Friday 09 March 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about Elizabeth Cox, she married Wiliiam Royce 28 April 1796 in Exton Rutland. I can't find any mention of Cox's within Exton so was looking for 'a likely lady' and found Cox's in Seaton.

If anyone has Seaton PRs would/could you check please ::)
Elizabeth Cox bap 14 Mar 1784, parents Thomas Cox and Mary ?
Did this Elizabeth Cox marry in Seaton?

Thank you
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Could she have been born in SEATON Parish?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 12 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Source, North Luffenham PR:
18 Jun 1777 Elizabeth Cox d. of John & Mary Cox, North Luffenham, bap.

Source, Exton PR:
25 Apr 1796 William Royce OTP & Elizabeth Cox OTP, Exton, mar.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jadzia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

Not sure if this helps as I notice it was a while ago when this was posted....but the only Elizabeth Cox marriage in Seaton was as follows:

9 Oct 1770, James Lane, Grooms Parish: Thorp by water.  Elizabeth Cox, Bride parish: Thorp by water. Licence,  Seaton.

There was also a burial for Elizabeth Lane on 11 Dec 1809, W/O James, Seaton.

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 May 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks horse000

...and jadzia thank you anything helps at this point, without being able to look at the actual parish books in Rutland, all of the information I can collect helps as a clue about where to check those records when/if I can.

Elizabeth married William Royce in Exton, banns were read in Exton, she was OTP in 1796 and Royces were an Exton family  but in 1796 there are no additional details of father or witnesses and few 'other records' to  know who lived in the village at that time, certainly no Cox's baptised or buried in Exton so likely she 'moved' to Exton just prior to marriage, logic or an educated guess says she is a Rutland lass, but of course she could have been born in Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire or further a field.
She died in 1855 in Exton and I have noted she was born in Exton in 1851, but I do need to recheck that census as I have had two loses of all my computer database FH over the years, so working on paper notes I took to rebuild that. :o
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline jadzia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 May 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

I have checked my parish records for Rutland....the Elizabeth Cox that you mention in your first post that was baptised on 14 Mar 1784 I would say is almost definite to be the one in my post as on my baptism record it has a side note that says of Thorp (relief from parish).

I have looked through all of the Rutland baptisms and there are quite a few Elizabeth Cox baptism’s.... it is almost 1am here so i’m just off to bed but I will have a look tomorrow and see what I can find and get back to you. Maybe we can disprove a few and at least narrow it down a bit.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 May 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you you are a treasure...sweet dreams 8)

Offline jadzia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 May 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I couldn't resist another look  ;D and I think we may have found something....

I searched the 1851 census and found an Elizabeth Royce living in Exton with husband William it says she was born in Luffenham, Rutland in abt 1777....(IF this is her she would have been about 19 at the time of the marriage). I also couldn't find this Elizabeth on the 1861 census which fits with your Elizabeth having died in 1855.

I checked my baptism's and have found one on:

18 Jun 1777, Elizabeth Cox, Parents: John/Mary, North Luffenham.

I need to have a better look tomorrow and get back to you though as I don't want to send you down the wrong path  ::)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 May 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
I was just about to post Luffenham, Rutland 1777 is a likely contender...will post and then read, so you may have already answered :o

Nite nite :P

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 May 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
If this is the correct one then John Cox married Mary Cooper 16 Nov 1775 in Nth Luffenham and Elizabeth was the first born of a family of 8 children..... Thomas, John, Rebecca,William ,Ann, James and Mary

This again is from my note books when I was first looking, those note books are great BUT I never returned to them to cross things out, or cross reference that it was Luffenham in the 1851, which I must have seen at some point or I wouldn't have looked in Nth Luffenham or do the above research, so thank you for checking that 1851 for me ;D