Author Topic: Henry Cole of Pinchbeck Fen  (Read 9994 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Cole of Pinchbeck Fen
« on: Friday 09 March 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am hoping someone can shed some light on this person who was my G.grandmother`s oldest brother.
He was born on 3/05/1825 to Thomas Cole and Rebecca Cole ( nee Cordley), at Pinchbeck.
He was not at his parent`s home on the night of the 1851 census.  He may have been living away from home (Ag Lab) , married  and in his own home, but there is also the possibility he had sailed for Essington,  Victoria ,Australia.
He may have sailed on "The Countess of Elgin" early in 1851, before the census. The gold rush began then.
I can`t find a marriage nor any  other trace of him in England or Australia.
My sister is shortly leaving for Australia and whilst there will endeavour to trace our distant family .
 She plans to go to Sofala and visit the cemetery there where some of our family are buried.
Any help will be much appreciated re the elusive Henry.
                                                Viktoria.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cole of Pinchbeck Fen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viktoria, their is a Henry Cole aged 25 Unmarried occ Dissenting Minister b Pinchbeck, shown as lodger with the Gibbs family at James Street, Boston, Lincs in 1851?

Census Ref HO107/2099/446/18
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 12 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Keyboard, thankyou very much, it is worth pursuing as the family were Methodists but of course as most Chapels were not licenced for marriages ( if indeed any were at the time) they did marry in Church.Well those whose marriages I have traced.
Lincolnshire marriage records were incomplete when we visited and Bishop`s transcripts did not help at all.
As his brothers were Ag Labs I assumed he would be too, but of course he could have been  a preacher as well.I have others in  another branch of the family who were.
Anyway I have something to go on now and hopefully something will emerge.
Thankyou again. Kind regards.Viktoria.

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I've just noticed your message and I too have been looking at Henry Cole of Pinchbeck.  He married a distant relative of mine and they went to Australia sometime between 1854 and 1857.  I can PM you the finer details.    Jazgran

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I have this in my mother's family in Cambridgeshire, they were dissenters, Baptists in fact which makes things a little harder as only adult baptisms were made, but it is worthwhile trying to trace the Methodist records since when dissenting records are available they are usually very informative.Several of my relatives were lay readers in the local chapel, in addition to being shown as ag labs in the censuses, so that link is not unlikely. If your Henry Cole was living in James Street Boston, then it is likely he was involved with the Methodist church which I remember off George Street, opposite the end of Fydell Crescent. It was demolished and the site become a supermarket. One up to Mammon I fear! Incidentally my paternal grandparents lived in Pinchbeck in the 19th century, surname Burton.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Jazgren and Redroger-- thankyou both so much. From somewhere I had it Henry went to Australia BEFORE his brothers . They went in 1853, I`ve quite a lot of details  of three who sailed on" The Harriet "if they would be useful to you also Cole family details  ( Henry`s siblings and parents etc )which I`ll gladly share.   
                                                                                                                                                            But of course  I would love to know more .                                                                                           Thanks again  to you both. Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
Well , I have been in touch with a lady in Australia who wrote a book about the very people I have been searching for.My sister is in Aus at the moment and will be sent a copy by the author so will bring it home when she returns . It`s all I needed.
The author is  the wife of a descendant of  one  the  brothers who emigrated in the 1850`s gold rush . She is very interested in the family history prior to their emigration, I can help a bit there but also with  my great grandmother`s history as she was the sister to those pioneers,and this is of interest to the lady I contacted .
All this came about because I helped someone else with the family`s history and as the old Lancashire saying goes--- "cast your bread upon the waters and it will come back buttered toast!"
I thought I`d let you know as you were so helpful.
Thanks again.  Viktoria.

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria.  Thanks for the update - and what a lovely result you have had.  I hope you continue to enjoy.  I did some follow up, just out of interest, and found lots of descendents, including the Japanese connection and their photos on the Victoria Museum website (have you seen them?).   Jazgran

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 April 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
Great stuff Viktoria, if you think I can help further with Pinchbeck or the immediate vicinity please let me know.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)